The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:37:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita  (Read 6573 times)
guest251
« on: November 03, 2016, 03:13:03 pm »

Hurrah, at long last, and in stereo!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daniel-Jones-Symphonies-Nos-10/dp/B01MQD705P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478182287&sr=8-1&keywords=lyrita
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 06:54:17 pm »

For some strange reason the link you provided didn't work for me-it took me to another site altogether ::)

However I found the forthcoming cd on the Amazon site eventually. (When I copied the url from the Amazon website the link didn't work either ::))

Symphonies Nos.1 and 10 :)  The longest of the Jones symphonies (No.1)-at 50 minutes-and one of the shorter later symphonies-19 minutes.

Wonderful news; I could not be better pleased and the release gets an unreserved and fulsome welcome fro me ;D :) Neither of these symphonies has ever been on cd.

(Now just to hope that Nos. 2, 3, 5, 11, 12 and the Symphony "In Memoriam John Fussell" will follow at some point ;D  Nos. 2, 3 and 5 are "big" works-43, 30 and 42 minutes respectively; the last three are shorter at 19, 17 and 27 minutes each.)
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 10:24:18 pm »

Wonderful news!
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:56:45 am »

At last!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 05:04:03 pm »

Daniel Jones is one of 13 British symphonists born between 1900 and 1925 who wrote five or more symphonies.

These composers might be-very roughly-grouped into:

(a) "Romantics": William Alwyn (born 1905)-5 symphonies, all recorded, multiple versions; George Lloyd (born 1913)-12 symphonies, all recorded; Richard Arnell (born 1917)-7
                  symphonies, all recorded; Arthur Butterworth (born 1923)-7 symphonies, 4 on cd

(b) "Serialists/Modified Serialists": Benjamin Frankel (born 1906)-8 symphonies, all recorded; Humphrey Searle (born 1915)-5 symphonies, all recorded; Peter Racine Fricker (born
                   1920)-5 symphonies, 2 on cd

(c) "Tonalists": Edmund Rubbra (born 1901)-11 symphonies, all recorded; Arnold Cooke (born 1906)-6 symphonies, 4 on cd; William Wordsworth (born 1908)-8 symphonies, 4 on
                   cd;Daniel Jones (born 1912)-13 symphonies, 7 on cd (including the forthcoming Lyrita release); Sir Malcolm Arnold (born 1921)-9 symphonies, all recorded, multiple
                   versions; Ruth Gipps (born 1921)-5 symphonies, 1 on cd; Robert Simpson (born 1921)-11 symphonies, all recorded

Of course, I freely accept that these are very crude groupings and that there are differences (considerable in some cases) between the idioms used by these composers within groups and indeed between different symphonies composed throughout their lives by individual composers.

I have been teased at times for my (excessive? ;D) enthusiasm for many of these composers' works. But I do think that the symphonies of Daniel Jones rank very high within the body of symphonies composed by his (rough) contemporaries. I do think, for example, that they are more impressive and more interesting than the symphonies of Arnold Cooke ;D
It would therefore be "good" to have them all on cd.

Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 07:58:03 pm »

A nice listing and stylistic breakdown, Colin.

However, let's not forget Ruth Gipps, born 1921, with 5 symphonies to her credit!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 10:13:14 pm »

A nice listing and stylistic breakdown, Colin.

However, let's not forget Ruth Gipps, born 1921, with 5 symphonies to her credit!

Indeed...sorry! Where would you place her in the above grouping? (c) ?
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 01:10:19 pm »

Probably (c), possibly (a). I haven't listened to anything of hers in a while, so I don't have a clear impression at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 03:05:26 pm »

Probably (c), possibly (a). I haven't listened to anything of hers in a while, so I don't have a clear impression at the moment.

I agree. (c) it is.
Report Spam   Logged
Alex Bozman
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 08:06:19 pm »

I'm curious as to what features are suggested to distinguish a Romantic from a Tonalist in this division? 
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 08:05:36 am »

I'm curious as to what features are suggested to distinguish a Romantic from a Tonalist in this division? 

I don't think it's a useful division. Another forum has twisted itself in knots trying to define romanticism and failing. Very roughly, romanticism prioritises emotion over form. Brahms, for instance, is regarded as a classicist rather than a romantic, though he gets lumped in with the romantics by dint of temporal association.

It's easier to draw the line between those who converted to serialism and those who didn't.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 07:31:14 pm »

When I set up these groupings I acknowledged that they were "very rough" and "very crude". The so-called "Romantics" included composers whose music is mostly more lyrical than the so-called "Tonalists" but the main point of the post was simply to identify the major symphonists with at least five symphonies each born between 1900 and 1925 and to identify those whose symphonies were on cd. Dividing them into 'groups' was no more than to avoid a simple list of thirteen names. Malcolm Arnold's earlier symphonies, for example, are quite different from Nos. 7 and 8 in particular.

I accept that the distinctions may not be useful. If so.....ignore them. May main point was to emphasise the point that, of those composers named, Daniel Jones has as genuine a case to be regarded as one of the most important whose symphonies have not all been recorded and are on cd.
Report Spam   Logged
northern
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 09:52:36 pm »

What about that well known tonal romanticist Denis ApIvor (1916-2004) and his five unrecorded symphonies.

Anyway commiserations to Cilgwyn - Daniel Jones' Symphony No. 1 is not No.2, is it ;D? Maybe that'll be next, or maybe not!!
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 11:48:55 pm »

All the same, a long time ago there should have been a box set of the complete symphonies in new recordings. It's a ridiculous oversight that there is not.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 12:45:20 pm »

What about that well known tonal romanticist Denis ApIvor (1916-2004) and his five unrecorded symphonies.

Anyway commiserations to Cilgwyn - Daniel Jones' Symphony No. 1 is not No.2, is it ;D? Maybe that'll be next, or maybe not!!
;D Thanks for the sympathy! I must admit,I would have preferred a recording of No 2! The First is the only one that I haven't really liked. Not that I don't,at all. It just goes on a bit! Like me sometimes!!  ::) ;D Still,it is his First essay in the form (as far as I know?) and it needed to be recorded. I might like it better now in it's new shiny silver form,with the tracks detailed in the booklet,instead of a cd-r with a bit of scribbling on it?! Since a few of them are available in old,but very decent recordings,Lyrita won't have that many premiere recordings (on cd)to release. But as 'northern' might say......"maybe not!" :( ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: