The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:41:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Finnish Music

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finnish Music  (Read 4913 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 03:52:26 pm »

Despite his qualification- I would wish to thank SBookman for uploading the Salmenhaara compositions originally generously provided by Tapiola on cd-r :)
Mmm...indeed, lovely idea, but my 3 attempts so far have yielded nothing except the Mediafire sign-up pages. Tell me I'm missing something !

Thanks.                    Clive.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 06:03:45 pm »

My sincere gratitude to Sbookman and Tapiola as well, but alas! I am experiencing the same problem as Clive.
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 06:48:17 pm »

Me too!  Can't get the Salmanhaara...hope they can be uploaded again.  THanks! Mal
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 08:16:59 pm »

Let me join the members who thank Tapiola's gift and SBookman's service.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 12:28:30 am »

Yes - many thanks to both of you!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 12:53:40 am »

My first attempt to download the files took me also to my own Mediafire account ::).....but I tried again all was well.

Listening now to the lovely Symphony No.5 "Isle of Bliss" :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 01:06:50 am »

Many thanks from me as well! Indeed, Symphony no. 5 is quite beautiful-it brings to mind Rautavaara's gentler works :) It certainly lives up to its subtitle!
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 02:09:11 am »

I wish I could upload the text. It is Aleksis Kivi's "Isle of Bliss" about a heavenly island of gentle little people living an idyllic existence.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 02:39:42 pm »

Thanks from me as well, for uploading the Salmenhaara works!

One question -- is there information posted anywhere on who the performers are? Or did I miss an earlier post?
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 07:49:58 pm »

All are the  FRSO. Conductors vary...No. 1 is Elyakum Shapirra.  Nos. 2 & 3 is Paavo Berglund.  No. 4 is Ulf Soderblom. No. 5 is Jorma Panula.  For No. 5 the soloists are Riikka Hakola, sop., Jorma Hynninen, baritone, the Akateeminen Laulu & Opettajankoulutuslaitoksen kuoro.
Recording dates are No. 1 (1972), No. 2 (1966), No. 3 (1964), No. 4 (unknown) and No. 5 (1989.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 08:59:04 pm »

Thank you!
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 10:42:56 pm »

In appreciation for the treasure trove of Salmenhaara recently uploaded, I'm adding his Adagietto.

Also, some more Finnish rarities for a Saturday afternoon -- two works by Aarre Merikanto and one by Tauno Marttinen. The Merikanto Intrada is probably my favorite work of his -- not as fascinatingly experimental as much of his other works, but just a tuneful delight.

There is precious little orchestral music to be had, from any source, by Tauno Marttinen. BIS recorded his First and Eighth Symphonies a number of years ago, but I'd love to hear some of the others. Anyone on the forum have anything they can share? Marttinen is a bit more astringent and atonal than some forum members may like, but I find his music pleasantly moody.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 01:13:00 am »

Thank you for the Marttinen!! 2 works new to me.  He wrote soooooo much music. It has really hurt any serious study I'm afraid.  At age 50 he destroyed everything he had written and started over! The new Opus 1 was from 1958.  He reached 300 something opus numbers!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 02:49:31 am »

Thanks from me as well! After hearing the BIS disc of Marttinen's Symphonies 1 and 8, I was not exactly dying to hear more of his music. Like Maris said, it can be quite astringent and atonal for my ears. But I'm quite grateful for the opportunity to be able to further evaluate Marttinen's music :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 08:47:13 pm »

Thanks, britishcomposer, for the additional Marttinen work!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: