The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:02:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Finnish Music

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finnish Music  (Read 4886 times)
kyjo
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 05:11:40 am »

The video of the Hakola Violin Concerto is also up on YouTube (where it will be available permanently, I assume):

I:
II:
III:

I listened to the first two movements so far. Hakola's language is predominantly tonal, with limited amounts of harsh dissonance. The first movement, centered around D major (a popular key for VCs, it seems) is rather like an updated version of the respective movement of the Beethoven VC in its majestic/rhapsodic mood. The second movement begins mysteriously with swirling arpeggiated chords in the harp and piano (which reappear throughout the movement) and ends oddly with the solo violinist playing high-pitched harmonics over pealing bells. Hakola's orchestration gives important roles to the piano, harp and tuned percussion as well as some melodic lines to the woodwinds and brass, but it must be admitted that he doesn't give the orchestral strings any exciting material (at least so far). I'll report back after I give the third movement a listen. A fine work so far!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: