The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:01:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Another world premiere, I believe !

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another world premiere, I believe !  (Read 431 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2016, 07:47:49 pm »

Not quite as famous as Gubaidulina, but a notable occasion, nonetheless:

Michael Jarrell - Oboe Concerto 'Aquateinte'......one of a number of excellent broadcasts on this Channel.

Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 03:51:58 pm »

Right - I'm sorry; have said it before on this forum & am going to say it again....(I am almost certainly the least musically proficient contributor, but one of the more enthusiastic 'tryers' & learners).
After years of 'lurking'/contributing/attempting to 'bond' (for want of a better word!) with other learned members, I took 18 months - 2 years away from contributing after an unpleasant experience with one person whom I would rather not have come up against in an atmosphere 'full of freedom and delight'.

Maybe it's the way it goes in 'cerebral' communities, but I find it vastly dispiriting suggesting new possibilities - frequently in the You Tube section since it's on that site I do much of my learning - and hearing back absolutely nothing.
 Honestly sometimes I'd rather get a reply saying 'Why are you wasting our time with this guff ?' (as long as the person could justify why it was merely 'guff'!).

The posts are being looked at - very occasionally someone takes the trouble to press a button giving a 'like' (a system I despise by the way - really isn't hard to write 'thank you'...on here & if you venture onto YT you'll see I do it all the time; some contributors are probably hugely bored by the certainty of a 'thanks' from me) .
 Even more occasionally someone makes a comment...not even always directly related to the post - but at least it's a response !
The rest of the time, I log in and wonder 'Why am I bothering ?'

I've 'met' a couple of really good on-line 'friends' from here with whom I correspond & share music from all over the internet on a pretty regular basis. For that alone , it's been 'worth the journey'.

But tell me - please ! - as an example: world premiere videos, from Gubaidulina and from Jarrell...are they such 'ho-hum' events that you experts who frequent this site have nothing to say about them at all...& presumably don't wish to listen to them either ?
'Cos currently, and not for the first time I must say, I just don't 'get' how a forum with so much potential for interaction and companionship seems to remain so 'sterile'.

Sorry...but ignoring 'freedom & delight', do bite back and tell me where I'm misguided (as politely as you can manage !).
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest224
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 02:56:25 pm »

Am with you CJ. I've posted a huge amount up in the part year in the downloads (mostly music from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and the Baltics) with virtually no feedback. I've decided to take a different track from now on, which readers will see in due course. With regard to your posts, those particular composers come outside the kind of music that I listen to so I'm afraid I have nothing to say on those ones. I for one do greatly appreciate all your posts.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 09:36:35 pm »

Well it's not nice to take  for granted the posts other members ma(d/k)e. I didn't say too many times thank you, I suppose.
In my defense I must say that many (most?) of the works presented I already have in my collection.
I've tributed a few files myself, and been thanked for, several times, but personally I don't care so much. It's my fun to share music and hopefully I pleased a few members and possibly widened their views on music.

Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 04:24:10 pm »

I second Christopher's comments....  as a contributor still of music in the ex USSR arena,  I'm still surprised when I look at the Mediafire and see how many have downloaded the files and still are downloading them recently.    Thanks everyone for the music you have contrib to this forum.   Sometimes is easier to just listen to either the downloads or youtubes without thanking the contributor....laziness I suppose.!   Anyway, thanks everyone for making this forum fruitful and friendly.  I've had some bad experiences from that other forum (we all know) and this one is delightful!
Dave
Report Spam   Logged
Hattoff
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 08:59:12 am »

I'd like to say a belated thank-you to all you wonderful people who contribute to this site. It is an education coming here and I have heard much music that should be better known. Thank-you.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 01:18:15 pm »

Mr. Dave, & Mr(?) Hattoff - know your comments aren't directly responding to me, but will take them as a support nonetheless !
Lots of folk have put themselves out to create all that's good & can be learned from on AMF.
 Can't do any harm to take a moment & just write (not click ! - & are PMs underused ?) a 'thanks', or indeed to add to/correct/take polite issue with - otherwise how can anyone know that what they're trying to do makes a jot of difference to a single soul !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 02:22:05 pm »

If one listened to every performance linked to on this site, one would have no time for anything else!

I didn't listen to this one because:

A) I don't know anything about Jarrell, but I don't care much for Gubaidulina.
B) I'm not attacted to oboe concertos.
C) I was away!
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 07:23:21 pm »

While I am certainly grateful for any music that I receive on YT and through AMF, I think I usually thank people or often do.  I do not know how to upload music as I am an idiot with computers but I certainly thankful for any music I am able to get.  In a fairly lonely retirement, music has gotten me through and I appreciate that more than I can say.   
Malito
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 12:49:16 am »

I listened to several minutes of Jarrell's Concerto and quickly realized the music was not for me
(world premiere notwithstanding), - but without the impulse to post my reaction.

Music here that makes an especially striking impression or evokes some meaningful association
might elicit my comment and elaboration.

But your suggestion that the first performance of an obscure composer's concerto for a secondary instrument
played by unknown executants represents some noteworthy event on the world music stage that demands
recognition from every art music enthusiast is a judgment just a bit out of kilter IMO.  That's not to say it
couldn't perhaps be exceptional (in this case it's not), but only that any apparent lack of interest here
shouldn't be regarded as some shocking dereliction.

One can appreciate you posting things (as I sometimes do) without the belief that all is necessarily worthy.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: