The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:18:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Dutton Deletions

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dutton Deletions  (Read 732 times)
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2016, 09:43:51 pm »

Not about new recordings, but existing recordings being deleted.

I recently ordered two Dutton disks, the Rubbra Violin Sonatas and the Pickard String Quartets 2-4. After several months the supplier informed me that Dutton had deleted these two titles.

I can't think that I happened on the only two titles that Dutton was deciding to delete, so I suspect that Dutton is doing a stocktake and deleting others.

Better get your orders in soon if you want an Dutton disks, second-hand copies are expensive, as I have discovered.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 07:18:41 am »

Dutton is out of the chamber music business.   These will be real collector's items in ten years.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 08:45:16 am »

Not about new recordings, but existing recordings being deleted.

I recently ordered two Dutton disks, the Rubbra Violin Sonatas and the Pickard String Quartets 2-4. After several months the supplier informed me that Dutton had deleted these two titles.

I can't think that I happened on the only two titles that Dutton was deciding to delete, so I suspect that Dutton is doing a stocktake and deleting others.

Better get your orders in soon if you want an Dutton disks, second-hand copies are expensive, as I have discovered.
Indeed! I finally managed to get all the remaining Cyril Scott titles in the end,s/h;but some Sellers were asking terrifying prices!! :o ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 10:48:54 am »

Dutton is out of the chamber music business.

Good news. we need more relevant orchestral music  ::)
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 12:24:44 am »

Dutton is out of the chamber music business.

Good news. we need more relevant orchestral music  ::)

"Relevant" to what? "Relevant" to whom?
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 07:23:48 am »

Very sad indeed. I missed the Rubbra sonatas, too.
It would be nice if Dutton offered deleted CDs as commercial downloads.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 10:40:59 am »

It raises the question as to whether performances formerly on CD but now deleted and unavailable commercially can reasonably be posted in the manner of performances formerly available on LP.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 04:43:49 am »

It raises the question as to whether performances formerly on CD but now deleted and unavailable commercially can reasonably be posted in the manner of performances formerly available on LP.

My understanding, Gauk, is that, unlike some other groups that engage in near-theological discussions bout whether it is or is not appropriate to post particular performances, AMF is both relatively straightforward and black and white: if it has EVER been on CD it can't be posted.

At the same time there has been a (limited?) willingness to be flexible.  I asked for and was given permission to post my recording of Halvor Haug's fourth symphony, even though it was once available on a now very rare and almost impossible to obtain CD.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 09:19:47 pm »

I think BrianA is right. It would be very sad if a forum like ours should go down, or even worse for the owner of this site.

I think also that there is no harm done when there is no availability of a work, but the law says different in the various countries. So let stay on the safe track.
What we do on a peronal basis is another matter
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 09:38:21 am »

I agree - but actually one could say the same about LP performances. Particularly in the case of an LP made by a company that is still going and may have some interest in its back catalogue. It's ridiculous what you see posted to YouTube, though.
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 09:49:14 pm »

I agree - but actually one could say the same about LP performances. Particularly in the case of an LP made by a company that is still going and may have some interest in its back catalogue. It's ridiculous what you see posted to YouTube, though.

I don't know what has happened on YouTube recently. There seem to be an awful lot of postings of available recordings from the companies themselves, sometimes selected tracks from the disk, but sometimes the whole disk. Naxos seems to be doing this quite a lot, is it that certain titles aren't selling and they are giving them away on YouTube?

As to the Duttons, I have got the Pickard SQs 2-4 now and they are excellent. I don't see why Dutton can't offer downloads, it would mean they could keep their entire catalogue going at virtually no cost (if they do it via iTunes or another provider).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 01:09:27 am »

I think that the point about the Haug Symphony No.4-which I was certainly delighted to get :)-was that the Warner cd containing the recording was never available commercially. It was a promotional cd, availabe for a very short time only and presumably in a very limited edition, after which time it disappeared and-from my personal experience-proved impossible to track down.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 09:10:08 am »

Incidentally, there's a similar debate in the computer games community about "abandonware" - i.e. if an old game is out of production, is it morally acceptable (or legal) to share copies of it?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: