The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:08:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Gottfried von Einem (1918-96)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gottfried von Einem (1918-96)  (Read 242 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2016, 05:21:44 pm »

It surprises me that CPO-so indefatigable in recording the music of many central European composers-should to date seem to have ignored the work of the Austrian composer Gottfried von Einem. I certainly would make no extravagent claims for von Einem and I am aware that his best music may be in his operas (the best known of which is-or was-"Danton's Tod"). There is, I suppose, a certain lack of individuality or indeed memorability about the orchestral works I know. On the other hand, they hold no "terrors" ;D
If one looks at the orchestras who commissioned works from von Einem and at the roster of famous and distinguished conductors who peformed the music (conductors like von Karajan, George Szell, Carlo Maria Giulini, Charles Munch, Ferenc Fricsay etc) then one may conclude that they found some merit in it.

Yet comparatively little is on cd-certainly in modern recordings. Quite a few pieces are buried in huge compilation sets of the work of conductors like Fricsay, Giulini, Zubin Mehta-although individual works can often be downloaded. Signum recorded the attractive (though not earth-shattering) Weiner Symphony in 1994 and there is a more recent Orfeo disc with the Piano Concerto No.1. There is also a rather aged Marco Polo version of the Violin Concerto. More can be found on You Tube.

von Einem's neo-classical, Stravinsky-lite music may well make little impact on some listeners but I am not sure that-compared to some other composers who have received and ae receiving attention currently-he deserves to be almost completely ignored.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest145
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 08:23:07 pm »

I've loved von Einem's music for over 40 years. Probably no enduring masterpieces from his pen, but many enjoyable, witty, and sometimes charming works.

There is a degree of originality and cleverness in his early style, with jazzy, angular rhythms and spiky harmonies, for instance in Capriccio (Op. 2, 1943). The later, more neo-Classical Philadelphia Symphony (Op. 28, 1961) mystified me a bit when I first heard Mehta's recording many years ago, but I came to find it charming, with its Beethovenian moments.

Many years ago I worked on a couple of his piano pieces for a while. They were very tricky technically and rhythmically, but the effort helped me get a better understanding of von Einem's style.

Anyway, not a "go to" composer for me, but very enjoyable and entertaining when I'm in the mood.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:43:23 am »

Von Einem is a relatively recent acquaintance of mine.  What I know of his music, in fact, comes from down loaded selections from here and Unsung Composers, back when UC was still modern composer friendly.  So while I don't have much to add, I thoroughly agree with both of you.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 02:31:16 pm »

Von Einem is a relatively recent acquaintance of mine.  What I know of his music, in fact, comes from down loaded selections from here and Unsung Composers, back when UC was still modern composer friendly.  So while I don't have much to add, I thoroughly agree with both of you.

........or even "when you was (just) friendly" ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 02:54:11 pm »

If one looks at a list of 2oth century Austrian composers the sad truth is quickly evident that so many fled from their native country or from Germany wheee they were working during the 1930s. Hans Gal, Karl Rankl, Egon Wellesz moved to the UK, Erich Korngold, Ernst Krenek, Karol Rathaus, Arnold Schoenberg, Ernst Toch, Karl Weigl to the USA. Of the rest most are only names (if that) to most music lovers. The only two who have any wider exposure at all would be Johann Nepomuk David, Joseph Marx and von Einem. David moved to work in Germany in 1934 and spent most of his life teaching first in Leipzig and then Stuttgart. Marx appears to have given up composition almost entirely after 1945.von Einem returned from Germany to Austria in 1953 and would therefore have a claim to being Austria's most active post-1945 composer yet remains hardly better known.

The Symphony No.4 (1986) can be heard on You Tube. It could have been written in the 1890s!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: