The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:31:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Double Dutch

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Double Dutch  (Read 1962 times)
guest128
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 07:35:19 pm »

I have however just listened again to the Etcetera cd with the Symphonies Nos. 3 and 4. I think that we can agree that both are "exceptionally fine" :)

They are. Though I still hold it that the Second, Piccola Sinfonia, is even finer. Magnificent, I'd say.  ;)

My recording of the Symphony No.2 is one of the better ones (the Residentie Orchestra/van Otterloo). The symphony is indeed a siperb work-I need to watch my adjectives ;D ;D

Well, had you merely called Symphonies 2&3 "magnificent" I would not have groused about it, and even almost nodded my head, - though I believe a descriptive notch lower is where they more truly stand ("exceptional" & "superb").

But to reference Orthel himself as "that magnificent composer" just crossed the line of propriety I felt, and called
for some correction or at least interrogation, given some other of his works that don't impress me and the fact we know so little of his output besides.

"Adjectival discrimination" is indeed important. ;)

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 12:05:36 am »

Your point was taken and accepted :)
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 08:15:19 pm »

Your point was taken and accepted :)
Oh, but it's far worse. There is no hope of redemption whatsoever: 

There are so much interesting composers: Sibelius, Martinu, Prokofiev, Roussel and hundrets others, but Badings - NO! Just like all the other dutch composers like Röntgen, Pijper, Vermeulen etc. - the Netherlands don't have any music worth to hear :(

8)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 08:43:00 pm »

I think it's very unfair to judge Dutch composer as not interesting (Expi) or worthless. As a Dutchman I know we never had a Beethoven or a Brahms or a Sibelius. However I find it very strange, even nationalistic, to think of composers within the borders of countries. We're Europeans, living on that continent for ages, and we've produced the most important composers ever. Period.
Report Spam   Logged
autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 12:46:26 am »

The 4th symphony is magnificent for this listener, as is the 2nd orchestral Scherzo.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 01:16:33 am »

I think it's very unfair to judge Dutch composer as not interesting (Expi) or worthless. As a Dutchman I know we never had a Beethoven or a Brahms or a Sibelius. However I find it very strange, even nationalistic, to think of composers within the borders of countries. We're Europeans, living on that continent for ages, and we've produced the most important composers ever. Period.

I would not be too concerned. It was an absurd and nonsensical assertion (it would be too kind to call it a "judgment"). From Bernard Zweers and Cornelis Dopper and Alphons Diepenbrock, through Matthijs Vermeulen, Hendrik Andiressen, Willem Pijper and Henk Badings the Netherlands have produced a number of very fine composers. (There are composers like Julius Rontgen and Jan van Gilse and Johan Wagenaar to add into the mix). I also happen to think that Rudolf Escher is a composer often overlooked but who produced some extremely "interesting" music. I have absolutely no doubt that the overwhelming majority of the members of this site would reject the claim that you quoted.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 01:20:33 am »

One of my favourite pieces from Rudolf Escher's short orchestral output:

Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 08:19:41 am »

I know we never had a Beethoven

Actually we had a Beethoven, and he was named Ludwig van Beethoven. But he moved to Bonn (coincidentally Expi's place of living  ;D)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 09:59:23 am »

The Dutch Music Institute preserves in its archives the scores of what appears to be, by far, the most prolific Frisian composer and symphonist ever. His name is Cornelis Dokkum (Sneek 1876-1971 Amsterdam) and he was active as an opera conductor in Germany (Berlin) before the outbreak of WWI. He wrote many more compositions, but I list only the symphonies here. The First 'Frisionowic' (after an early Medieval incident in Frisian history) was broadcast live in 1944, but probably none of the others was ever performed (though he prepared the orchestral parts of the Second from 1949 too; also in this archive). I found an extensive interview with the 90 years old composer in a newspaper from 1966, and some more info in art magazines and newspapers from the 1880s til the 1960s, but no reference in any musical encyclopedia or the like. Who can tell me more about the life and work of this professional musician who so completely disappeared from view?

Symphony No. 1  ‘Frisionowic’  (1943) – broadcast performance 1944, Radio SO directed by the composer
Symphony No. 2  (1949)
Symphony No. 3  (1950)
Symphony No. 4  (1952)
Symphony No. 5  (1952)
Symphony No. 6  (1953)
Symphony No. 7  ‘Landelijke’ (‘Rustic') (1954)
Symphony No. 8  (1954)
Symphony No. 9  ‘Boerensymphonie’ (‘Peasant Symphony’) (1954)
Symphony No. 10  ‘Sinfonia Rusticana’ (1955)
Symphony No. 11  (1955)
Symphony No. 12  (1955)
Symphony No. 13  (1956)
Symphony No. 14  (1956)
Symphony in G (No. 15?)  (1959)
Symphony 1961 – 1 (No. 16?)
Symphony 1961 – 2  (No. 17?)
Symphony 1961 – 3  (No. 18?)
Symphony 1961 – 4  (No. 19?)
Symphony 1963 – 1  (No. 20??)
Symphony 1963 – 2 (No. 21??)
Symphony 1964  (No. 22??)
Symphony 1968  (No. 23??)
Report Spam   Logged

guest54
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 12:55:28 pm »

I can't find him either. But I did find this little book in Dutch, entitled "Netherlands Music in the Nineteenth Century", by J.D.C. van Dokkum.

https://openlibrary.org/works/OL16322904W/Nederlandsche_Muziek_in_de_negentiende_Eeuw

I expect it will contain the names of a few unfamiliar composers.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 01:24:28 pm »

http://www.janpeterdegraaff.com/
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 12:24:10 pm »

Being Dutch, I still never heard of Jan-Peter de Graaff. Thanks for the link, Toby.

The 1st part of his 'Seven Mouvements' (on Soundcloud) is very listenable.

Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2016, 07:07:06 pm »

I've had a great affection for Dutch music ever since the early 1970s, when I hosted a classical radio program for a couple of years and was the lucky recipient of numerous Radio Nederland promotional LPs that I regularly played on my show. The marvelous anthologies they produced back then were a marvelous introduction to many aspects of Dutch classical music and were responsible for awakening in me a great interest in this music.

It seems to me quite unfair to denigrate Dutch music ("Just like all the other dutch composers like Röntgen, Pijper, Vermeulen etc. - the Netherlands don't have any music worth to hear" -- Expi) with a blanket condemnation. I'm not sure if this comment was made out of ignorance, elitism, or some other reason, but I strongly disagree.

Among the many Dutch composers whose music has given me great pleasure, I note especially:
Hendrik Andriessen (espcially the 2nd & 3rd Symphonies)
Lex van Delden
Alphons Diepenbrock (suite from incidental music to "Elektra")
Rudolf Escher (2nd Symphony)
Hans Henkemans
Simeon ten Holt (Lemniscaat)
Otto Ketting
Willem Pijper (3 symphonies, Symphonic Epigrams, opera Halewijn)
Peter Schat (The Heavens)
Matthijs Vermeulen (various symphonies)

I wouldn't classify any of these composers or works as the "greatest" but they certainly have substantial value and have provided great pleasure, enjoyment, and even comfort to me over the years.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 11:01:40 pm »

Not forgetting my favourite, Cornelis Dopper, whose music had given me much pleasure over the years. Especially the 7th symphony.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2016, 01:44:43 am »

Not forgetting my favourite, Cornelis Dopper, whose music had given me much pleasure over the years. Especially the 7th symphony.

I included Dopper (you will be pleased to see) in my reply on September 9th :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: