The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:30:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Van Dieren Chinese Symphony on Lyrita

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Van Dieren Chinese Symphony on Lyrita  (Read 1379 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 07:36:42 pm »

My initial response to the new Lyrita cd of the van Dieren symphony is much as I thought it might be. Yes, it does have a Delian quality; yes, it is somewhat "nebulous" and "meandering". Highly chromatic. Reminds me a bit of Zemlinsky without the muscle. Very much of its time. I doubt that it is a work that I will return to often-although I know that I should in order to try harder to come to terms with its sound world.

Others will respond very differently and will be delighted to make the work's acquaintance :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 05:34:21 pm »

Amazon are listing this as a pre-order for release on November 18th. No sign of it yet on the Lyrita website (I looked just now.....and checked the date!! It is still October!)
Have you got a time machine,Dundonnell?!! ???
If you have;can I have a lift in it and get my copies of the forthcoming Naxos Brian cd and (Hyperion,I think?) Sacheverell Coke Piano concertos to play now.......instead of next year?!!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 11:43:05 pm »

Amazon are listing this as a pre-order for release on November 18th. No sign of it yet on the Lyrita website (I looked just now.....and checked the date!! It is still October!)
Have you got a time machine,Dundonnell?!! ???
If you have;can I have a lift in it and get my copies of the forthcoming Naxos Brian cd and (Hyperion,I think?) Sacheverell Coke Piano concertos to play now.......instead of next year?!!

No time machine, I am afraid ;D I ordered via Musicweb. Their customers get priority!! :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 08:36:36 am »

;D I'D probably just get mugged by Morlocks! With HG Wells eliminated from my options,I will visit the Lyrita website now! Much cheaper than Amazon,too! I'm not sure this music is 'my cup of tea' really;but Bernard Van Dieren and his 'Chinese Symphony' is one of those names (and pieces of music) that you'd see in various dusty and yellowed tomes (and paperbacks)............you know what I mean?!! ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 08:50:09 am »

Musicweb,I mean!!! I haven't had coffee yet!! :( ;D

Done!! :)

Be funny if I still have to wait until November!! ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 04:00:10 pm »

Not quite sure what you mean ;D Ordering through Musicweb gets substantial discounts too (as well as copies substantially in advance of official release).....so definitely the way to go!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 05:25:53 pm »

That was just a feeble joke aimed at Dundonnell,because he got his cd so quickly! I have ordered from Musicweb before. The last time I did my order didn't arrive and another one had to be sent out. These things happen,though! They have no control over the postal system.......which is pretty good in my experience,fair play! You wonder what happens to those items that get lost in the post,though? Like that brand new set of Daphne,with Lucia Popp,by R'Strauss,which I sent back to Music Magpie which disappeared somewhere along the way. (I decided I wanted the earlier release of the set). Perhaps someone is enjoying their free copy somewhere?!! I did get my money back from Music Magpie,however!!
As to Musicweb. Don't tell me that?!! I'll be ordering even more cd's! ;D (And I should!) I've only bought Lyrita releases from them,so far!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 06:04:17 pm »

That was just a feeble joke aimed at Dundonnell,because he got his cd so quickly! I have ordered from Musicweb before. The last time I did my order didn't arrive and another one had to be sent out. These things happen,though! They have no control over the postal system.......which is pretty good in my experience,fair play! You wonder what happens to those items that get lost in the post,though? Like that brand new set of Daphne,with Lucia Popp,by R'Strauss,which I sent back to Music Magpie which disappeared somewhere along the way. (I decided I wanted the earlier release of the set). Perhaps someone is enjoying their free copy somewhere?!! I did get my money back from Music Magpie,however!!
As to Musicweb. Don't tell me that?!! I'll be ordering even more cd's! ;D (And I should!) I've only bought Lyrita releases from them,so far!

I understand that items "lost" in the post get sent to Belfast for some reason. Maybe there are a lot of classical music collectors who are based in the GPO offices there ??? ???
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 09:21:16 pm »

So that's where Daphne is!! ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 09:38:58 am »

Received: 9.22am today!

"Thank you for your order. Although it is a pre-order I believe the disc will be shipped today.
Regards
Len"
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 09:59:31 am »

And now I can read a review. I only just saw this!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2016/Oct/Dieren_sy_SRCD357.htm
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 01:34:17 pm »

After a rest from the Chinese Symphony I am now having another listen after reading a very enthusiastic review on Amazon. I realise I am in the minority here,but I think I might actually quite like it! Possibly? I need to survive the entire cd before I can really say that....and collect my thoughts. A bit like a cross between an astringent,slightly dissonant version of Delius and late Cyril Scott. All those half lights and shadowy textures. Very fin de siècle. Was he into the occult at all,like Scott? I feel like dimming the lights and burning incense while listening to this one;but it's still day,and it catches me in the back of the throat (the incense not the music....at least so far! ;D). Incidentally,I was listening to Boulez Mahler 7 before I put this on!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 04:06:20 pm »

Just realised. Virtually all the posts on this thread are mine! ??? :-[ ;D It seems the Chinese Symphony has got one fan,anyway! Would I take it to a Desert Island? No! I want to wake up in the morning!! ;D I do quite like it,though. It meanders along;but I like the atmosphere of the piece. I particularly the orchestral interlude & the way the two solo voices entwine ecstatically (in an astringent way) at the end,which makes it worthwhile,for me anyway! I think I may even revisit it,now and again?!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2016, 04:34:40 pm »

You sum up the nature of the music pretty well :)

"slightly dissonant version of Delius"......now there is a description to whet my interest ::)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 05:29:49 pm »

You sum up the nature of the music pretty well :)

"slightly dissonant version of Delius"......now there is a description to whet my interest ::)
;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: