The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:43:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Arnold Cooke: Symphony No 6

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arnold Cooke: Symphony No 6  (Read 2080 times)
guest251
« on: August 17, 2016, 07:27:36 am »

The BBC Phil are going to play this as part of a studio concert (in their Salford studios) - which I assume will be either for later broadcast or even live on the day:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/en88gw
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 02:10:32 am »

I am astounded :) :)

As far as I am aware Cooke's Symphony No.6, completed in 1984 and lasting just over half an hour, has never been performed. That the BBC should have decided to broadcast the symphony in a performance by the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra under the very promising young British conductor Andrew Gourlay is astonishing but very very welcome.

Cooke's Symphony No.1 is on Lyrita SRCD203, the Symphony No.3 is on Lyrita SRCD295 (coupled with the Havergal Brian Symphonies Nos. 6 and 16) and the Symphonies Nos. 4 and 5 were released earlier this year on Lyrita REAM1123 as part of the Richard Itter Broadcast Collection.

Cooke's Symphony No.2 in F was composed in 1963 and given a performance at the Royal Festival Hall with the Halle Orchestra under Lawrence Leonard. I doubt that the Halle performance was broadcast.

The number of symphonies by prominent British composers which still cannot be accessed on disc or through download is now a tiny fraction of the number some of us yearned to hear.

Apart from the Cooke Second, I could mention

the Stanley Bate Symphony No.2(1939) (his First was I think both withdrawn and destroyed but the Second was heard at the Royal College of Music just before the War and the score is still extant at the RCM).
the Arthur Butterworth Symphony No.7(2010): premiered in February 2012 by the Huddersfield Philharmonic Orchestra under Nicholas Smith but not heard since
the Alun Hoddinott Symphony No.1 (1955): premiered at the Royal National Eisteddfod on 5 August 1955
the John McCabe Symphony on a Pavane (No.6) (2006); commissioned and premiered by the London Philharmonic Orchestra under Steven Sloane in the Queen Elizabeth Hall, London in January 2007 but not broadcast nor performed again
the Anthony Milner Symphony No.3(1986): premiered in a concert at the Royal College of Music- whose centenary was marked by the commission of the symphony- by their orchestra under Lionel Friend
the Robert Still Symphony No.1 in C (1954): premiered by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under Richard Austin at the Festival Hall in London in November 1956

That's only seven symphonies :) Though I should add the unperformed Still No.2 of 1956 and William Wordsworth's unperformed Symphony No.6 "Elegiaca" (1977).

I could also add all but one to date of the symphonies by Joseph Holbrooke. Symphony No.4 is on a Dutton cd but, of course, the Symphony No.3 has now been recorded by CPO. I am never quite sure about the state of the other symphonies or indeed what to call them. They are-as I understand it- choral or scored for strings or military band or piano and orchestra.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 12:16:38 am »

Very pleased to hear this, and it is pretty remarkable, Colin.  Surely one or more of us (from the right side of the pond) will manage to snag an uploadable recording of this performance when the time comes? :)

That will only leave no. 2 not generally available, correct?

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 01:13:16 am »

I hope some kind soul will make this available on the forum.  Exciting news!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 03:10:18 pm »

Very pleased to hear this, and it is pretty remarkable, Colin.  Surely one or more of us (from the right side of the pond) will manage to snag an uploadable recording of this performance when the time comes? :)

That will only leave no. 2 not generally available, correct?

Brian

Yes. (as noted above ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 03:40:05 pm »

I hope some kind soul will make this available on the forum.  Exciting news!

+1
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 05:44:11 pm »

Just in reference to my observation earlier that during the last few years (say 5+ or so) a very great number of British symphonies have become available either on cd for the first time or through downloads of broadcast performances...

At a rough count the number I have come up with, ranging from Arnell to Bate to Alan Bush to Arthur Butterworth, and on through Cooke, Fricker, Hamilton, Hoddinott, Daniel Jones, Malcolm Lipkin, McCabe, John Veale to William Wordsworth is 56.

That is worth repeating: 56 British symphonies, previously unheard (at least by me ;D) now on cd or in radio broadcasts uploaded for others by generous individuals who had recorded these broadcasts. And all over the last half decade.

If anyone had told me ten years or so ago that this would be the situation I would have responded-"dream on!!"

It makes the current missing number of around ten symphonies seem paltry in comparison.

I am just so happy that I have lived long enough to enjoy the bounty :)
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 10:54:24 pm »

And so say all of us!
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 12:52:42 am »

Just in reference to my observation earlier that during the last few years (say 5+ or so) a very great number of British symphonies have become available either on cd for the first time or through downloads of broadcast performances...

At a rough count the number I have come up with, ranging from Arnell to Bate to Alan Bush to Arthur Butterworth, and on through Cooke, Fricker, Hamilton, Hoddinott, Daniel Jones, Malcolm Lipkin, McCabe, John Veale to William Wordsworth is 56.

That is worth repeating: 56 British symphonies, previously unheard (at least by me ;D) now on cd or in radio broadcasts uploaded for others by generous individuals who had recorded these broadcasts. And all over the last half decade.

If anyone had told me ten years or so ago that this would be the situation I would have responded-"dream on!!"

It makes the current missing number of around ten symphonies seem paltry in comparison.

Well, add the new David Matthews Symphony No. 9 to your list of yet to be recorded.  http://david-matthews.co.uk/works/work.asp?criteria=cat&catid=2&keywords=&workid=344&sortby=name&sortorder=asc&page=1&nosearch=False
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 02:14:16 am »

I thought about adding the David Matthews Ninth to my list but held off doing so because the work has not yet actually been published by Faber (Matthews's publisher). Given the fact that Matthews gets all his major compositions-indeed almost everything he writes-performed I have absolutely no doubt that the work will be heard pretty soon and will be broadcast.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 08:57:28 am »

The composer tells me "Kenneth Woods will be conducting my 9th Symphony with his English Symphony Orchestra, possibly at the Cheltenham Festival, either next year or 2018, I'm not sure yet."
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 05:04:04 pm »

The composer tells me "Kenneth Woods will be conducting my 9th Symphony with his English Symphony Orchestra, possibly at the Cheltenham Festival, either next year or 2018, I'm not sure yet."

I am surprised that it is not being taken up by one of the BBC orchestras before then but we shall just have to wait. I am sure that it will be broadcast at some point.
Report Spam   Logged
Kinder
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 10:20:40 pm »

The Arnold Cooke symphony is to be broadcast at about 14:45 on Radio 3 on Monday, 12th September.

(See http://www.radio-lists.org.uk/r3/r3.php?source=r3_2016-09-10.html#2016-09-12_14:45)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 11:28:29 pm »

The Arnold Cooke symphony is to be broadcast at about 14:45 on Radio 3 on Monday, 12th September.

(See http://www.radio-lists.org.uk/r3/r3.php?source=r3_2016-09-10.html#2016-09-12_14:45)

....and PLEASE someone record it for us :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 12:53:16 am »

Anybody ???
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: