The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:14:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Arnold Cooke: Symphony No 6

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arnold Cooke: Symphony No 6  (Read 2072 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2016, 02:37:22 pm »

Perhaps I should rather have said "an ambiguity contained within an affirmation" then, or some such, - disagree as you might with that also.

For your typical earnestness "dissimulation" reads like an accusation, whereas in my more playfully rhetorical posture (though not unserious in intent) it's simply a cipher - or part of a dialectic - used to provoke further consideration.

I was merely meaning to contrast the shiftiness of "dissimulation" with the forthrightness of "manifesto" as extremities of conviction and expression, without literally believing you were indulging in either.

Intemperate of me, I suppose, but no bad will there.

In any case, I've expended many more hours of effort than I maybe should have over the years with the available recordings of Cooke's music, laboring to discover even a small kernel of genuine passion or vision (or indeed "significance") I could resonate with as reward for my efforts, - but to no avail.  It all strikes my sensibility as largely sterile, and thus to read even a modest defense of his worthiness and attractions evokes a certain puzzlement.

I have now calmed down a little since I wrote my last post.

You should-I feel-perhaps think a little more before using a word such as 'dissimulation' in reference to another person's honestly and sincerely expressed comments. I accept your statement that "no bad will" was intended but the use of a word you seem to acknowledge was "intemperate" was deeply offensive to me.

Other members on this site have expressed their liking for Arnold Cooke's music but they seem not to attract such a "pointed comment'.

I have "expened" a great deal of time over the years to trying to understand why passionate Delians can wax lyrical about the music of Frederick Delius. I could say that their passion for his music "puzzles" me but that would be dishonest. I think that I do understand the attractions of Delius. I just don't share in it.

Perhaps, in future, if I simply state that I "like" the music of a particular composer I can 'get away' with that :)

You find nothing in Cooke's music of "significance" or "passion" or "vision". I accept that. I can understand your reaction to it. I do not question your response to the music.

Along with some others on this site I have a different reaction. I can and do appreciate the music whllst recognising the limits to its appeal.

We disagree about Arnold Cooke's music. We probably disagree about the music of some other composers as well. But we should at least disagree without-however inadvertently-offending each other.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: