The Art-Music Forum
October 22, 2019, 07:49:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Wanted: works of analysis of symphonic music

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted: works of analysis of symphonic music  (Read 310 times)
guest54
« on: August 02, 2016, 08:26:44 am »

As a youth in the fifties of the last century I gained most of my musical knowledge from two books;

1) The Symphony, edited by Ralph Hill (1949). 458 pages full of serious detailed analysis of, and musical examples from, particular works by the composers Haydn, Mozart, van Beethoven, Schubert, Berlioz, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Liszt, Franck, Bruckner, Brahms, Borodin, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Mahler, Elgar, Sibelius, Vaughan-Williams, Rachmaninov and Bax, as well as an essay on the development of the symphony down the years. A different author for each composer.

Available from Abebooks for a pound or two.

2) The Concerto, edited by Ralph Hill (1952). 448 pages full of serious detailed analysis of, and musical examples from, particular works by the composers J.S.Bach, Haydn, Mozart, van Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Chopin, Schumann, Liszt, Brahms, Saint-Saens, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Grieg, Elgar, Delius, Sibelius, Busoni, Rachmaninov, Medtner, Ravel, Bloch, Bartok, Szymanowski, Berg, Prokofiev, and Walton, as well as essays on the virtuoso concerto, on "some English concertos", on "variation forms", and on the development of the concerto down the years. A different author for each composer.

Also available from Abebooks for a pound or two.

I highly recommend these two volumes.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: