The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:21:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Gardner and Veale from Dutton

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gardner and Veale from Dutton  (Read 1732 times)
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 02:23:09 pm »

Ordered it. In due obedience.  :)

Finally received my copy. First listen makes me fully endorse the first post here: a truly astounding symphony, great to hear it.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 05:01:41 pm »

Ordered it. In due obedience.  :)

Finally received my copy. First listen makes me fully endorse the first post here: a truly astounding symphony, great to hear it.

And I am obviously delighted to hear that you found the Veale symphony as impressive as did I :)
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 01:23:53 pm »

after hearing the disk, i am little dissapointed, specially from the Veale symphony. also the new recording of the second Brian symphony isn't much butter than the marco Polo one. good that i did not spent money for those :D  maybe better to produce a new Vaughan Williams or Bax cycle.
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 12:39:23 am »

after hearing the disk, i am little dissapointed, specially from the Veale symphony. also the new recording of the second Brian symphony isn't much butter than the marco Polo one. good that i did not spent money for those :D  maybe better to produce a new Vaughan Williams or Bax cycle.

Fortunate indeed the listener who can reach such conclusions on the basis of (how many?) listenings to cds he has not bought.

Lyrita releases are "not interesting", the music of Kabalec is "not interesting", Weinberg is "not interesting", the music of Badings is "not interesting", the music of Rontgen is "not interesting"..............

It would be tedious to reiterate my views on the issue of whether or not neglected repertoire is "interesting". Apparently, however we need more cycles of the symphonies of Mahler, Bruckner, Sibelius, Vaughan Williams and Bax. Great composers every one........but to be included under the heading of "Little known music of all eras" (the forum section heading)?

I should forego further comment. It would be 'uninteresting' to other members of this forum.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 03:37:47 pm »

Don't worry, I'm sure he posts on Mahler forums decrying the resources wasted recording yet more Mahler, when they could be diverted to more interesting composers like Veale.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 03:46:06 pm »

Don't worry, I'm sure he posts on Mahler forums decrying the resources wasted recording yet more Mahler, when they could be diverted to more interesting composers like Veale.

I promised not to say anything more on this topic ;D  So....and in the interests of my blood pressure............. ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 10:44:21 am »

Fortunate indeed the listener who can reach such conclusions on the basis of (how many?) listenings to cds he has not bought.

Lyrita releases are "not interesting", the music of Kabalec is "not interesting", Weinberg is "not interesting", the music of Badings is "not interesting", the music of Rontgen is "not interesting"..............

It would be tedious to reiterate my views on the issue of whether or not neglected repertoire is "interesting". Apparently, however we need more cycles of the symphonies of Mahler, Bruckner, Sibelius, Vaughan Williams and Bax. Great composers every one........but to be included under the heading of "Little known music of all eras" (the forum section heading)?

I should forego further comment. It would be 'uninteresting' to other members of this forum.

yes maybe this is the wrong forum for me. i got several new releases from different sides every day, and most of them i listen just once, because its music of minor value. (BTW: it was the Gardner symphony which dissapointed me, not the Veale which i heared twice and is not such bad)  i surely would pay for GOOD music, like a new Sibelius or Bax cycle but nor for all that shabby stuff coming from Lyrita, Dutton etc. years ago i payed also for such disks, i have about 15000 in my collection, but much of them i heard just once or twice, now i dont buy cds anymore, just download flac files from the trackers, or if i really want something, then from Qobuz, eclassical etc. and pay for. but i dont understand that urge buying and collecting more and more cds from unimportent composers. in my country we call such pathological collectors "Messi" and put them in a nuthouse. i guess you and your friends will never be satisfied until you have them all, the symphonies from Röntgen, Badings, Kallstenius, Holbrooke, Foulds, Weinberg, Rosenberg, Segerstam, Hovhaness and all the others, but i tell you a secret: you will not live long enough to get them all.  it exists more than enough RELEVANT music. there are good reasons that some composers are less know than others. musical history can tell you, and history NEVER fails.
Report Spam   Logged

Christo
Level 4

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 11:31:10 am »

history NEVER fails.
Like some other people here, I happen to be a historian (with even some historical interest). To make 'history' the judge of good and evil, quality and "not interesting", is about the grossest statement one can make. History produces anything, from Hitler to Mother Teresa, but no moral or even easthetic wisdom per se. Like goodness, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 11:54:45 am »

I'm sorry to say this, Expi, but whether one agrees with your views or not, some of your comments are discourteous in tone and expression. And I hope there is no room for discourtesy on this forum. If you are not interested in the sort of music which is discussed here, you are not obliged to visit the forum or post on it.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2016, 02:35:13 pm »

My views are more than clear on this subject.

I see no need to add anything further.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 05:28:38 pm »

[yes maybe this is the wrong forum for me. i got several new releases from different sides every day, and most of them i listen just once, because its music of minor value. (BTW: it was the Gardner symphony which dissapointed me, not the Veale which i heared twice and is not such bad)  i surely would pay for GOOD music, like a new Sibelius or Bax cycle but nor for all that shabby stuff coming from Lyrita, Dutton etc. years ago i payed also for such disks, i have about 15000 in my collection, but much of them i heard just once or twice, now i dont buy cds anymore, just download flac files from the trackers, or if i really want something, then from Qobuz, eclassical etc. and pay for. but i dont understand that urge buying and collecting more and more cds from unimportent composers. in my country we call such pathological collectors "Messi" and put them in a nuthouse. i guess you and your friends will never be satisfied until you have them all, the symphonies from Röntgen, Badings, Kallstenius, Holbrooke, Foulds, Weinberg, Rosenberg, Segerstam, Hovhaness and all the others, but i tell you a secret: you will not live long enough to get them all.  it exists more than enough RELEVANT music. there are good reasons that some composers are less know than others. musical history can tell you, and history NEVER fails.

To put it succinctly, what a steaming pile of old half-baked, pontificating, egregious ...

;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:57:45 pm by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 06:02:58 pm »

How many cds one owns, or where he buys them is totally irrelevant. Relevant is that every person decides for his own which music is good and relevant for him. Items can be discussed but not damned without any argument.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2016, 06:15:07 pm »

How many cds one owns, or where he buys them is totally irrelevant. Relevant is that every person decides for his own which music is good and relevant for him. Items can be discussed but not damned without any argument.

Now that's more like it! Remember poor old Henry Gadsby (of blessed UC memory) - can't wait for a top-flight recorded series of his extant works ...

:D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 01:17:39 am »

I sense the spirit of Dr David Wright hovering somewhere in the background...
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 10:33:57 am »

you call somebody who studied music and is a lover of classical recordings . . . did you ever write wikipedia profiles about composers, did you ever write reviews about classical releases for music magazins? i am active in several well-known music forums, and i'm a consultant of the Bonner Beethoven Orchestra, ...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:56:19 pm by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: