The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:14:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Miloslav Kabeláč (1908-1979) - Complete Symphonies

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miloslav Kabeláč (1908-1979) - Complete Symphonies  (Read 1257 times)
guest128
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 07:26:39 pm »

It is quite extraordinary that we do not have recordings of his two major late symphonies-the Autumn Symphony for chorus and orchestra of 1934 and the May Symphony for soloists, chorus and orchestra of 1943.

I agree it's a great shame we lack recordings of these two important major works by Novak. But it may be that Supraphon are reluctant to undertake what would be two expensive recording projects - chorus, soloists (in the case of the "May" symphony) and large orchestras for both.

Given my generally high regard for Novak I tried very hard to like the Autumn & May Symphonies when performances were first posted on the UC forum several years ago (of re-ups here I'm uncertain), but despite some appealing sections found them overall rather uninspiring (nowhere near the quality of his much earlier "The Storm", I would say) and not works I've returned to.  Mine could be a minority opinion, of course, and new commercial recordings pique a re-evaluation, but sometimes I feel enthusiasm gets much the better of discrimination here.  Given your own listening (Grandenorm & Dundonnell) do you honestly believe "Autumn" & "May" are top-drawer Novak (or even more than intermittently engaging) and worthy of the huge expense any renewed attention from Supraphon (or some other label) would entail?

Report Spam   Logged
Bobyor
Level 2

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 08:08:54 pm »

If I could just add my tuppenth's worth: my only encounter with Kabelac is with a set of piano preludes which, having played through them, I found to be really very interesting as they seem, among other things, to be taking some aspects of Janacek's miniatures onto a different level. So I am very curious to hear his symphonies.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 01:21:00 am »

It is quite extraordinary that we do not have recordings of his two major late symphonies-the Autumn Symphony for chorus and orchestra of 1934 and the May Symphony for soloists, chorus and orchestra of 1943.

I agree it's a great shame we lack recordings of these two important major works by Novak. But it may be that Supraphon are reluctant to undertake what would be two expensive recording projects - chorus, soloists (in the case of the "May" symphony) and large orchestras for both.

Given my generally high regard for Novak I tried very hard to like the Autumn & May Symphonies when performances were first posted on the UC forum several years ago (of re-ups here I'm uncertain), but despite some appealing sections found them overall rather uninspiring (nowhere near the quality of his much earlier "The Storm", I would say) and not works I've returned to.  Mine could be a minority opinion, of course, and new commercial recordings pique a re-evaluation, but sometimes I feel enthusiasm gets much the better of discrimination here.  Given your own listening (Grandenorm & Dundonnell) do you honestly believe "Autumn" & "May" are top-drawer Novak (or even more than intermittently engaging) and worthy of the huge expense any renewed attention from Supraphon (or some other label) would entail?

Having (admittedly only briefly) sampled again the two Novak symphonies..............you may well be right.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 10:58:22 am »

A case could certainly be made for Supraphon recording the symphonies of a number of his near contemporaries. One thinks of composers like Isa Krejci (b. 1904-4 symphonies but only one on cd), Vaclav Dobias(b. 1909), Jan Kapr (b. 1914; 10 symphonies none on cd), Jan Hanus (b. 1915; 7 symphonies only one on cd), Jiri Valek (b.1923-17 symphonies none on cd) or Jindrich Feld (b.1925-3 symphonies one on cd). Many of these can be downloaded from this site.

To which one could add Victor Kalabis, Jan Zimmer and Jiri Jaroch. I don't see much likelihood of a Dobias revival, given his music tends to be pro-Soviet bombast. Krejci is a lot of fun, but sadly there is not much commercial interest in "light symphonic" works. Everything is supposed to be "great music".
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 04:08:36 pm »

A case could certainly be made for Supraphon recording the symphonies of a number of his near contemporaries. One thinks of composers like Isa Krejci (b. 1904-4 symphonies but only one on cd), Vaclav Dobias(b. 1909), Jan Kapr (b. 1914; 10 symphonies none on cd), Jan Hanus (b. 1915; 7 symphonies only one on cd), Jiri Valek (b.1923-17 symphonies none on cd) or Jindrich Feld (b.1925-3 symphonies one on cd). Many of these can be downloaded from this site.

To which one could add Victor Kalabis, Jan Zimmer and Jiri Jaroch. I don't see much likelihood of a Dobias revival, given his music tends to be pro-Soviet bombast. Krejci is a lot of fun, but sadly there is not much commercial interest in "light symphonic" works. Everything is supposed to be "great music".

Four of the five symphonies of Kalabis are on cd and the other (No.1) can be uploaded.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 11:12:09 am »

I've been listening to Kabeláč's 4th symphony (Camerata) and it really is rather a good work - very typical of its place and time, with motoric drive in the fast movements (2 & 4) and brooding elegy in the slow movements (1 & 3).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: