The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:15:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Miloslav Kabeláč (1908-1979) - Complete Symphonies

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miloslav Kabeláč (1908-1979) - Complete Symphonies  (Read 1256 times)
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:50:35 pm »

Very interesting release IMHO http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Supraphon/SU42022
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 12:05:53 am »

What wonderful news :)

I have often wondered why Supraphon seemed to have given up on recording more 20th century Czech music.........and now we get the complete Kabelac! My only slight regret is that they have recorded all eight symphonies but have not added 'The Mystery of Time' as an appendix, so to speak. That glorious work really does need a modern recording-although any such recording would also have to attempt to match Karel Ancerl's blazingly intense and grippingly powerful account from the late 1950s.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 12:19:10 am »

What can I say? Wow! Not an exactly deep intellectual reaction;but that is extremely surprising in this age of multiple recordings of the incredibly predictable.......and good for Supraphon,I say!!
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:07:51 am »

That is a very important release, in my eyes!! I ordered the set right away

Although I have most of this symphonies in my collection, here we have all the symphonies in cd quality.

Thanks Supraphon
Report Spam   Logged
Jeff
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 12:08:16 pm »

There is a 2014 recording of 'The Mystery of Time' on youtube by the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 11:03:52 pm »

There is a 2014 recording of 'The Mystery of Time' on youtube by the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra

Yes.....and a very fine performance it is too.
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 10:37:52 am »

in my eyes a completely uninterresting release. i own 3 of this composers symphonies and this is uninspirated and unpersonal music. anyway, some people need to have all symphonies of any composers and seems those people are all gathered here  ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 03:22:11 pm »

'in my eyes a completely uninterresting release.' I hope you'd give some more motivation............
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 08:49:27 pm »

in my eyes a completely uninterresting release. i own 3 of this composers symphonies and this is uninspirated and unpersonal music. anyway, some people need to have all symphonies of any composers and seems those people are all gathered here  ;D

While "completely uninteresting" may be too sweeping, I won't myself be in a rush to acquire this set before critical opinion weighs in with some measure of its quality.  "Mystery of Time" is indeed a compelling work, and the one of Kabelac's Symphonies I'm familiar with (No.5) engaging if not exceptional.  But the idiosyncratic scoring for most of this collection makes me wary, and wondering if they truly come off as genuine Symphonies or merely oddball combinations of effects that however innovatively provocative at the time may not hold up as enduring creations.  Can anyone here having heard the previous recordings offer an Expi-extra judgment?

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 02:18:56 pm »

It is quite true to observe that Kabelac's eight symphonies are written for a very diverse combination of orchestral forces but I would be relucant to call those "oddball".

I am fortunate enough to have one Kabelac symphony (the 5th) on cd but all the others in off-air recordings kindly provided by an enthusiast. Those symphonies came into my collection relatively recently and I will be entirely honest in admitting (what you have long guessed ;D) that I have not actually found the time yet to listen to them properly.
Kabelac was an interesting composer and 'The Mystery of Time' is one of my all-time favourite works.....but I doubt whether he was a 'great composer'. A case could certainly be made for Supraphon recording the symphonies of a number of his near contemporaries. One thinks of composers like Isa Krejci (b. 1904-4 symphonies but only one on cd), Vaclav Dobias(b. 1909), Jan Kapr (b. 1914; 10 symphonies none on cd), Jan Hanus (b. 1915; 7 symphonies only one on cd), Jiri Valek (b.1923-17 symphonies none on cd) or Jindrich Feld (b.1925-3 symphonies one on cd). Many of these can be downloaded from this site.

However it seems to me that if Supraphon is finally branching out from the familiar repertoire on which it has concentrated in recent times then it really should be looking at the later music of that near contemporary of Josef Suk-Vitezslav Novak. Most of Novak' early, richly romantic music has been recorded but very little of the music he wrote between 1910 and his death in 1949. It is quite extraordinary that we do not have recordings of his two major late symphonies-the Autumn Symphony for chorus and orchestra of 1934 and the May Symphony for soloists, chorus and orchestra of 1943. The dedication of the May Symphony to Josef Stalin should not blind us to its musical merits.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 03:49:24 pm »

As I expressed earlier I am glad that Kabelac's symphonies appear on cd now.

I agree with Colin that it'is regrettable that the symphonies he mentions are not.
Válek, btw, wrote 19 symphonies. Only his 10th (Baroque) and 12th are (or were) available on cd.

More info: musicbase.cz
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 04:42:34 pm »

It is quite extraordinary that we do not have recordings of his two major late symphonies-the Autumn Symphony for chorus and orchestra of 1934 and the May Symphony for soloists, chorus and orchestra of 1943.

I agree it's a great shame we lack recordings of these two important major works by Novak. But it may be that Supraphon are reluctant to undertake what would be two expensive recording projects - chorus, soloists (in the case of the "May" symphony) and large orchestras for both.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 05:16:30 pm »

As I expressed earlier I am glad that Kabelac's symphonies appear on cd now.

I agree with Colin that it'is regrettable that the symphonies he mentions are not.
Válek, btw, wrote 19 symphonies. Only his 10th (Baroque) and 12th are (or were) available on cd.

More info: musicbase.cz
I count 17 numbered symphonies from 1948 until 1992 plus a Sinfonietta(1945).
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 09:16:07 pm »

Actually, as a footnote, I once did some research on Válek's symphonies myself and found out the total number of his symphonies is even 20. Here are the last ones (on which information is scarce as they do not appear in many sources):

Symphony No. 17 "Hradčanská Station", Symphony-Opera on Words by Anatole France and the composer for Nine Soloists, Two Mixed Choir and Orchestra (1992)
Symphony No. 18 "Alternative - For Ten Years of Velvet Revolution" on Words by Karel Havlíček Borovský and folk texts for Baritone, Children's Chorus and Chamber Orchestra (1999)
Symphony No. 19 "The Garden of Dreams - In memory of natural and human catastrophes at the turn of the third millenium and the entry of ten nations into the European Union" on Japanese Poetry for Mezzo Soprano, Baritone and Chamber Orchestra (2003)
Symphony No. 20 (2004)
Válek also arranged one movement of his last symphony for chamber ensemble: "Joy - Satisfaction!", final movement of Symphony No. 20 for Flute, Trumpet, Violin, Percussion Instruments and Two Pianos (or Four Hands Piano?) (2004)

I don't think Válek got many performances in his final years, so that I would not be surprised if his last symphonies have never been played so far (but I don't know for sure).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 01:43:22 am »

Thanks for this information, Holger :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: