The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:10:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Curious about music from the Soviet Union

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious about music from the Soviet Union  (Read 3034 times)
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2012, 08:25:32 am »

Just some thoughts:

Evgeny Golubev - I have quite a bunch of his music, i.e. Symphonies Nos. 5&7, Ukrainian Rhapsody, Piano Concertos Nos. 1, 2&3, Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto, "Return of the Sun" Oratorio, Piano Quintet, Harp Quintet, String Quartets Nos. 4, 10, 11&15, Cello Sonata, a Song Cycle and some Piano Pieces, among the Sonata No. 4. Several of these works have appeared on CD (mainly PC #3 & Piano Sonata #4, Cello Concerto, the two quintets and SQ #4). He was a student of Myaskovsky and I think there are some echoes of his teacher's music in his own profound and well-written output (though he was also interested in impressionism and went further in terms of style).

Qara Qarayev - I have his Symphonies Nos. 1&3, his Violin Concerto, two Ballet Suites, some other orchestral works and a Violin Sonata. There is quite a cut in his output in the 1960s, when he became interested in modern techniques. For example, his Third Symphony and Violin Concerto work with dodecaphonic techniques.

Vladimir Fere - I don't have anything by him, and I don't think much was recorded.

Alexander Mosolov - in fact, I know some of his later pieces. They are much more conventional than the early ones of course, and honestly not very interesting - not because they are conventional (there were many Soviet composers writing in a traditional idiom who composed music well worth listening), but because they are not very inspired and appealing. I must admit I regard his later pieces as below the Soviet average. There is a very lengthy and thin E Major Symphony on disc, for example. I do have the Second SQ but it comes from CD.

Mikhail Alexeev - nothing by him in my collection. There were really thousands of Soviet composers, and thus gaps in the recorded repertoire are inevitable.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: