The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:30:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Curious about music from the Soviet Union

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious about music from the Soviet Union  (Read 3017 times)
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2012, 10:54:48 am »

Neil,

Soviet music is probably the field of music about which I know most. I have been collecting Soviet symphonies for years, and according to Mike Herman's online list, there are less then 15 items which I still miss, plus a bunch of works which haven't been commercially recorded. In other words, I have several hundreds of Soviet symphonies (probably about 700) in my collection plus a large amount of other works, including further orchestral works, vocal symphonic pieces, chamber and piano music.

Believe me - the overall quality of these pieces is surprisingly high. Of course, there were political circumstances which had their impact, but I also think this is often overrated. For sure, in Stalin's last years, the freedom of composers was most limited, but it also has to be said that in the 1960s, a lot of composers started to try out new paths, did their experiments and so on. Others remained within a more traditional framework - no problem, I think that's the music they just wanted to write. In any case, I doubt whether we should really watch Soviet music as a result of party directives only.

Quite on the contrary, I am convinced that we should take the creative output of many Soviet composers absolutely seriously. These were composers who had their own aims, who loved music and composed because they had something to say.

I know Rostropovich's statements, I also have a book by him, however as much as I admire him as a cello player as much I am doubtful about how much his views on Soviet music really help. For sure, he was biased as well, and some of his claims are not fair in my view.

Actually, the best way to come nearer to Soviet music is first and foremost to take the works as what they actually are, and that's music. So, my opinion is that it is really rewarding to leave the political background completely aside once you get to know a piece of Soviet music and just to concentrate on the piece itself. The political background can come thereafter, if necessary.

This way, you'll discover a magnitude of great music. At least, this is how it worked for me.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: