The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:38:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The James Stuart Channel

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The James Stuart Channel  (Read 1316 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 06:24:39 pm »

(I sometimes wonder why I am more "tolerant" or am certainly prepared to put in more effort with composers who have composed at least one or two works with which I am fully in sympathy ;D Searle and Iain Hamilton ae perfect examples. I adore Searle's First and Second Symphonies...........ergo I am more than ready to listen to the rest of his music and find it-at least-interesting.)

Searle's first two symphonies are of a piece with the rest of his output - quite demanding to listen to. But yes, I still have the old LP of these two fine works.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 06:55:23 pm »

(I sometimes wonder why I am more "tolerant" or am certainly prepared to put in more effort with composers who have composed at least one or two works with which I am fully in sympathy ;D Searle and Iain Hamilton ae perfect examples. I adore Searle's First and Second Symphonies...........ergo I am more than ready to listen to the rest of his music and find it-at least-interesting.)

Searle's first two symphonies are of a piece with the rest of his output - quite demanding to listen to. But yes, I still have the old LP of these two fine works.

I am not sure that I quite agree.....but of course it is a matter of personal response. I find the first two symphonies works of immense and, frequently, terrifying power and intensity where as the other three I find complex, difficult and make therefore much less of a visceral impact on me. I can admire but seldom have any real impulse to return to them.

Nos. 1 and 2 are amongst my favourite 20th century symphonies. The slow movement of No.2 is a perfect match of Searle's twelve-note technique and the romanticism he always insisted characterised his style. It builds to the most shattering of climaxes! No.1 is, throughout, a work of imperious power and violence. The fact that Sir Adrian Boult's amazing recording of the work for Decca has never-as far as I know-been released on cd is a long-standing disgrace.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 10:31:40 pm »

Earlier today I took advantage of the Bourgeois postings on this channel to listen to the first symphony. Those involved in the performance can hardly have imagined the composer would go on to break the record for number of symphonies! It is interesting to compare this first symphony with Bourgeois's recent works. Number 1 has an obvious heavy debt to Walton, not found in the later works, but I think there are still detectable common stylistic traits - the quirkiness (like the reference to the Rite of Spring towards the end of the second movement), some characteristics of the orchestration, and a tendency to arrange material in blocks.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 09:28:40 am »

Earlier today I took advantage of the Bourgeois postings on this channel to listen to the first symphony. Those involved in the performance can hardly have imagined the composer would go on to break the record for number of symphonies! It is interesting to compare this first symphony with Bourgeois's recent works. Number 1 has an obvious heavy debt to Walton, not found in the later works, but I think there are still detectable common stylistic traits - the quirkiness (like the reference to the Rite of Spring towards the end of the second movement), some characteristics of the orchestration, and a tendency to arrange material in blocks.
His first 6 symphonies can be selected with one click:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Derek+Bourgeois%3A+Symphony+No
catalogue of works here:
http://www.derekbourgeois.com/catalogu.htm
and much much more here
http://www.scoreexchange.com/search?q=Derek+Bourgeois

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 02:40:02 pm »

Another excellent selection of John McCabe uploads on the Channel today.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 03:21:58 am »

Another excellent selection of John McCabe uploads on the Channel today.

Some very welcome additions-the Concerto for Chamber Orchestra(1962/68), the Symphony for Ten Wind Instruments(1964), the Suite "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"(1971), the Ballet Suite No.1 "Mary Queen of Scots" (1976), the Jubilee Suite (1977) and "Music's Empire" (1981) were all new to me (not on cd or in our British Music Archive here).
Also a large number of alternative performances of many of the works otherwise available.

I had hoped for the Piano Concerto No.3 "Dialogues" (1976/77) or some of the big choral works but sadly these were not amongst the collection. And of course the Symphony No.6 (Symphony on a Pavane) has not, I think, been performed again after its (unbroadcast) premiere.

We are however once again in very considerable debt to James Stuart's generosity in sharing so much of his collection :)
Report Spam   Logged
northern
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 11:01:35 am »

The John McCabe Piano Concerto No.3 has been uploaded on TheMudfinger channel, and James Stuart has provided the performance details in the comments box, so presumably he either hasn't got it to post, or sees no point in uploading it again.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 02:20:41 pm »

The John McCabe Piano Concerto No.3 has been uploaded on TheMudfinger channel, and James Stuart has provided the performance details in the comments box, so presumably he either hasn't got it to post, or sees no point in uploading it again.

Thank you very much indeed for that information :)

Not only could I download the Piano Concerto No.3 but I then found McCabe's Trumpet Concerto "La Primavera" (2012) inside a video of a concert given by the Orchestra of the Swan headed "British Trumpet Concerto" posted by Goodmedia.

Given the steadily increasing number of uploads of performances, broadcast or otherwise, of music not available on cd it might be time for me to update previous lists of "missing" British symphonies and concertos in the hope that one or two may have surfaced on You Tube or elsewhere.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 04:52:44 pm »

Thanks, gentlemen ! 'Mudfinger' not perhaps a Channel one would automatically gravitate towards, but....!
'Goodmedia' likewise, perhaps !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 04:17:08 pm »

There is now SO much British music on this wonderful YT Channel that a catalogue of it all would not go amiss ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: