The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:48:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The James Stuart Channel

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The James Stuart Channel  (Read 1312 times)
northern
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2016, 08:33:21 am »

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=CAI%253D&search_query=james+stuart&page=1

Back in the last month with interesting mix of film music and radio broadcasts.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

magmasystems
Level 2

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 12:17:21 pm »

Thanks for this. Coincidentally, one of my Google Alerts fired today showing me that he added Ragnar Solderlind's Symphony No. 4 to YouTube.

If there is any way to get in touch with Mr. Stuart, i wonder if there is a possibility that he might rip this concert to MP3 or FLAC, and share it with the members here?
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 08:28:10 am »

The inimitable Mr Stuart has done it again!  Among recent additions are Derek Bourgeois' Symphonies 3, 5, and 8, a selection of John Veale orchestral works, including the premiere performance of the violin concerto, the premiere radio broadcast of Malcolm Williamson's fifth symphony, the premiere performance of Rubbra's symphony no 11, etc, etc.  While I haven't checked closely, I suspect (am sure, in fact) that at least some of these performances duplicate performances already available in our archive, but not all! (See the Bourgeois symphonies referenced above.)  Well worth checking out!

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 11:12:06 am »

Thank for the info/link,BrianA! High time a cd label recorded one of his symphonies;the 'Wine Symphony' in particular,could be quite popular with music lovers,given a chance. Approacheable music,but not in the obvious way. What a great idea for a symphony. It's just waiting to be recorded. I seem to remember hearing it on the radio a few times back in the 80's. Can't believe it's still unrecorded;but sadly not exactly surprised! I thought the Philip Jones Brass ensemble (have I got their name right?) recorded an arrangement,though;or parts of it? Am I right,or wrong about this? I'm not usually into that kind of thing (Holst aside) but they were rather good weren't they? They seemed to get allot of attention for a while. I'd forgotten about them until now. I think they did 'Pictures at an Exhibition',too? I would look them up,but I don't want to be tempted into buying more cds. I've spent enough this month!! :o :( ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 02:43:02 pm »

The inimitable Mr Stuart has done it again!  Among recent additions are Derek Bourgeois' Symphonies 3, 5, and 8, a selection of John Veale orchestral works, including the premiere performance of the violin concerto, the premiere radio broadcast of Malcolm Williamson's fifth symphony, the premiere performance of Rubbra's symphony no 11, etc, etc.  While I haven't checked closely, I suspect (am sure, in fact) that at least some of these performances duplicate performances already available in our archive, but not all! (See the Bourgeois symphonies referenced above.)  Well worth checking out!

Brian

What a super surprise :) It seems to be quite a long time since we had much in the way of "new" British music uploads and the YT additions are splendid-four Bourgeois symphonies (three from James Stuart-Nos.3, 5 and 8-and No.6 from another contrubuter), the Whettam Cello Concerto, two works by Alan Bush, Anthony Milner's Chamber Symphony, two works by John Veale-the Demos Variations and 'Kubla Khan').

Good way to start the weekend ;D
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 04:37:57 pm »

@Dundonnell:

... and don't miss Veale's violin concerto - I've compared it with the Chandos recording,
Erich Gruenberg is at least as good as Lydia Mordkovitch, if not better.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 07:16:24 pm »

@Dundonnell:

... and don't miss Veale's violin concerto - I've compared it with the Chandos recording,
Erich Gruenberg is at least as good as Lydia Mordkovitch, if not better.

Thanks, yes...I had only listed the works completely new to me but there are other treasures amongst these new uploads :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 07:54:40 pm »

Hmmmm......I am not sure that James Stuart has in fact posted the Symphony No.8 "The Mountains of Mallorca".

Derek Bourgeois's own catalogue of his music indiicates that the work is 73 minutes long. There is a version for wind band which has been recorded by the "Royal Symphonic Band of the Belgian Guides" but, again, Bourgeois says that this is 77 minutes long. What we have from James Stuart is 23 minutes in duration.

Anyone have any ideas ???
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 08:20:10 pm »

Hmmmm......I am not sure that James Stuart has in fact posted the Symphony No.8 "The Mountains of Mallorca".

Derek Bourgeois's own catalogue of his music indiicates that the work is 73 minutes long. There is a version for wind band which has been recorded by the "Royal Symphonic Band of the Belgian Guides" but, again, Bourgeois says that this is 77 minutes long. What we have from James Stuart is 23 minutes in duration.

Anyone have any ideas ???

The work identified as Symphony No. 8 is in fact Symphony No. 1.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 10:36:02 pm »

Well that was quick!  Thanks so much for the correct identification!

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 12:03:19 am »

Indeed! Thank you very much :)
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 02:35:29 am »

On further consideration this raises another potentially vexing question: if the work itself has been misidentified, is it possible that the performers have also been misidentified?    :-\

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 03:55:32 pm »

My understanding is that only symphonies 1 through 7 have ever been performed in orchestral version.  I understand symphony no. 1 was only performed once.  The premiere performance where I assume this archival recording came from took place on St Cecilia’s day (November 21) 1961 by City of Birmingham Symphony, David Wilcocks.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 05:34:18 pm »

My understanding is that only symphonies 1 through 7 have ever been performed in orchestral version.  I understand symphony no. 1 was only performed once.  The premiere performance where I assume this archival recording came from took place on St Cecilia’s day (November 21) 1961 by City of Birmingham Symphony, David Wilcocks.

That sounds not only plausible but convincing.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 02:22:50 am »

More from James Stuart :)

Four pieces by Humphrey Searle completely new to me (Poem for 22 strings, Scena "Oxus" for high voice and orchestra, Highland Fling and Suite from the Opera "Hamlet")-not "big" works but they all add to our knowledge of this (sometimes) difficult but fine composer.

(I sometimes wonder why I am more "tolerant" or am certainly prepared to put in more effort with composers who have composed at least one or two works with which I am fully in sympathy ;D Searle and Iain Hamilton ae perfect examples. I adore Searle's First and Second Symphonies...........ergo I am more than ready to listen to the rest of his music and find it-at least-interesting.)

Plus Leonard Salzedo's Symphony No.2 (in a barely listenable-to recording) and what sounds like a good Viola Concerto by that same composer.

.........and some Dutch, Swedish and Estonian music too, I find-including Sixten Eckerberg's Symphony "Pastorale" which is actually not Beethoven's No. 6.....although I thought it was at first ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: