The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:51:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The James Stuart Channel

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The James Stuart Channel  (Read 1319 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 06:55:23 pm »

(I sometimes wonder why I am more "tolerant" or am certainly prepared to put in more effort with composers who have composed at least one or two works with which I am fully in sympathy ;D Searle and Iain Hamilton ae perfect examples. I adore Searle's First and Second Symphonies...........ergo I am more than ready to listen to the rest of his music and find it-at least-interesting.)

Searle's first two symphonies are of a piece with the rest of his output - quite demanding to listen to. But yes, I still have the old LP of these two fine works.

I am not sure that I quite agree.....but of course it is a matter of personal response. I find the first two symphonies works of immense and, frequently, terrifying power and intensity where as the other three I find complex, difficult and make therefore much less of a visceral impact on me. I can admire but seldom have any real impulse to return to them.

Nos. 1 and 2 are amongst my favourite 20th century symphonies. The slow movement of No.2 is a perfect match of Searle's twelve-note technique and the romanticism he always insisted characterised his style. It builds to the most shattering of climaxes! No.1 is, throughout, a work of imperious power and violence. The fact that Sir Adrian Boult's amazing recording of the work for Decca has never-as far as I know-been released on cd is a long-standing disgrace.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: