The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:18:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Latvian music

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latvian music  (Read 13347 times)
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 02:28:13 pm »

Maris,

After giving us the symphonies of Skulte, you now provided us with the symphonies of Romuald Kalsons. A week ago I got my copy of the Simax cd with his violin concerto.
I had the time to listen to the symphonies and, again, got the feeling why the h... did no company make a recording of these works. Well, Simax knows the composer now and maybe they'll record one or more?
Beautiful, toneful music, almost romantic, but with a modern sound, IMO. Beautiful orchestrations. I especially loved the 3rd part of the 4th Symphony.
The poem in it sounds nice. You don't have by any chance a translation? and who is the poet?
Or tell at least where it is about?

Anyway, thanks again, my friend,

Roelof (Elroel)

Report Spam   Logged
fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 05:35:52 pm »

The links have been restored for Kalsons' Violin Concerto and Concerto Grosso. Two excellent works by a fine composer.
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 10:30:35 pm »

Just now as I write I'm listening again to Symphony No.9, - 33' in and the work is just about over.  A "farewell Symphony" you say, - "autumnul", "melancholic", and "retrospective".  I should be in my element here.
But it's not really happening so.  I can relate your words somewhat to the passing sounds at times, and the overall mood I feel some resonance with.  However the themes I just don't find compelling, - not "memorable" as I say,
nor does the piece as whole hang together for me, - it is just a "succession" but not a "coherence".  There are fragments that engage me momentarily, even a few sustained passages I hear some  "call" from.  But overall, - and the piece has now finished - I'm rather indifferent to it.  It's a miss.  I can't say any more.

Whether one is caught by a given piece cannot (and certainly should not) be commanded. I confess having some difficulty to be fully convinced by the final part of the 9th, much as I would like to. In contrast, the slow movement is, to me, fully convincing and something to wallow in. It could be kitsch, and so it is to an extent. It reminds me of atmospheric film music, which is normally not an unmitigated positive comment for me, when it comes to symphonies. Yet, I find it moving and satisfactory. Right now, it reminds me of Atterberg's Fifth. Totally different music, I know, but in both cases, the craftsman's skills recede out of sight, the strings (no pun intended) are set loose and the music stands perfectly on its own right.

As for the Fifth, it does have many dark sides, but I have always perceived it as quite hedonistic at the same time, more so, indeed, than most other Skulte symphonies. Light-hearted it is not, but rather sensuous.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 04:25:28 pm »

Many thanks to Maris for providing the 5th and 6th symphonies of Imants Kalniņš.

Interesting also that he includes the original 4th symphony, although I never heard of the fact that there is an earlier version. I'm not really surprised, because like so many composers from the Soviet period had to change their works. Alemdar Karamanov (Ukrainian) is one who had also his troubles with a rigid regime.

Thanks again,

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 08:05:16 pm »

Wow - a real feast today; thought I was beginning to recognise some/most Latvian composers...a million percent wrong as usual !
Have chosen something roughly midway as my 'taster', Symphony no. 5. Are there thought to be 'stand out' works, or do we just gradually work through ?

Thanks so much for the surfeit of novelties !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 02:53:33 am »

Many thanks from me also :)

To get one symphony from an unknown composer is always interesting......to get TEN in one go is fantastic :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 08:37:25 am »

The 6th I had tape a long time ago. I never laid my hand on the Melodiya recording. And now: all of Grinups symphonies!
Many, many thanks Maris. This is absolutely beautiful.

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 09:13:28 am »

Well, no. 5 is terrific, so, bearing in mind I'm currently overseas & each download takes the best part of an hour, that's the rest of the day taken care of....but it'll be well worth it - eventually !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
kyjo
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 07:48:22 pm »

May I also join in the chorus of thanks for the Grinups symphonies? He's a composer I'd heard of in passing but had never really known much about. And a complete cycle, too :) Wonderful :)
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 12:09:35 am »

Sveiks, Mari!

Thank you SOOOO much for the 10 Grinups symphonies.  I have long loved #6 which I had on Melodiya and Atsushi Sato had sente me #1, 8, and 9.  But now to hear them all...My God, it is like winning the Latvian Lottery!!  Thank you so very much.  I have long been a fan of Imants Kalnins and almost met hi 3 summers ago when I was there visiting friends,  I heard rumors of a symphony no. 7.  Do you have any knowlege of this?
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 06:50:53 pm »

Playing all the Grinups symphonies in a row.  Listening to No. 5 now which is fabulous!!!  Thanks you again.  Now I have complete symphonies of Grinups, Skulte, Kalnins and Ivanovs.  I never dreamed I would ever see the day!  Thanks again, Mari!!!

Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 11:17:49 am »

Many thanks from me as well, Maris - I only knew (and liked) Nos. 1, 6 and 9 as well as the beautiful Sinfonia per archi. Frans C. Lemaire mentions Grīnups in his book about Russian and ex-USSR composers, as well as Ramans, as two interesting symphonists in the generation between Ivanovs/Ā.Skulte and Dambis/I.Kalniņš, but without going into much details. Ramans's Sixth is quite strong as well, and very different from the lighter works he is apparently best known for.

This reminds me of another composer whose name is familiar (not only through his famous daughter) but whose music is almost absent from the catalogue: Alberts Jerums. His Second sonata for violin and piano is superb. Do you know of any recordings of his orchestral music?
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 10:00:27 am »

Juris Karlsons is very gifted Larvian composer, I think his Silver Veil is a masterpiece that should be heard by everyone.
Not much of his music has been posted.

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 11:34:45 pm »

Hadn't heard of Karlsons before! Could you please tell me where his Silver Veil can be heard? If it's a masterpiece I'd certainly like to hear it :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 01:45:12 am »

Excellent, Maris! I knew I could count on you :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: