The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:47:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Latvian music

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latvian music  (Read 13311 times)
guest128
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2014, 01:22:21 am »

I've played through again all the Ivanovs Symphonies recently, - precious and enduring among Latvian's (Maris) Latvian download legacy.  The ones that especially speak to me are 4, 6-8, 11, 14-16, & 20&21, but with this cycle the whole strikes me as much greater than the sum of the parts.  What I mean is how the "mass" of this body of work gives expression to a breadth and depth of perennial human experience that feels at the same time very concretely rooted in a definite time and place, and which combination of "existential" and historical qualities in all the variations and permutations of a large spanned creative life leave indubitably a both personal and philosophical impression on this listener.  Whatever the more compositionally objective deficiencies and/or weaknesses of individual works might be, I hear it as distinctively "genuine" music, emerging from an authentically inner impulse and struggle rather than just written according to abstract form or for incidental occasion.  It's parallels (and some disjunctions) with Myaskovsky's similarly infused great sequence of Symphonies have often especially intrigued and fascinated me, but in any case I'm so appreciative of Latvian's past efforts to make the music of Ivanovs available here.

Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2014, 02:48:28 am »

I've played through again all the Ivanovs Symphonies recently, - precious and enduring among Latvian's (Maris) Latvian download legacy.  The ones that especially speak to me are 4, 6-8, 11, 14-16, & 20&21, but with this cycle the whole strikes me as much greater than the sum of the parts.  What I mean is how the "mass" of this body of work gives expression to a breadth and depth of perennial human experience that feels at the same time very concretely rooted in a definite time and place, and which combination of "existential" and historical qualities in all the variations and permutations of a large spanned creative life leave indubitably a both personal and philosophical impression on this listener.  Whatever the more compositionally objective deficiencies and/or weaknesses of individual works might be, I hear it as distinctively "genuine" music, emerging from an authentically inner impulse and struggle rather than just written according to abstract form or for incidental occasion.  It's parallels with Myaskovsky's similarly infused great sequence of Symphonies have often especially intrigued and fascinated me, but in any case I'm so appreciative of Latvian's past efforts to make the music of Ivanovs available here.

AMEN AND AMEN..Ivanov's Symphonies are indeed a wonderful cycle of symphonies. Perhaps a few may be may be a difficult listen, but I keep coming back because I know I have missed the message. With good audio, I think they are the equal of anyone's.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2014, 12:54:56 am »

The Ivanovs Sym #14 (Sinfonia da camera) has been released on CD in the series  "Symphonia Ipsa 125" ......  released in 2005.   2 cd set along with Medins The Blue Mountain and others.. 

This CD celebrates the 125th anniversary of the first Latvian symphonic score and The Year of Latvian Symphonic Music. „This double disc is not meant to be an anthology, as that would require the presence of at least 50 composers, but, by taking a look at the world of nine composers, it still will give the listener a condensed view of nine aspects of Latvian symphonic music" (Arnolds Klotiņš).

Music by Andrejs Jurāns, Marģeris Zariņš, Pēteris Plakidis, Artūrs Grīnups, Jānis Ivanovs, Romualds Kalsons, Pēteris Vasks, Ēriks Ešenvalds.

Performers: Nora Novika (piano), Rafi Haradžanjans (piano), Pēteris Plakidis (piano), the Latvian National Symphony Orchestra, Sinfonia concertante, Riga Chamber Players. Conductors: Leonīds Vīgners, Imants Resnis, Vassily Sinaisky, Normunds Šnē, Andris Vecumnieks, Gints Glinka.

http://www.lmic.lv/core.php/core.php?pageId=754?pageId=770&subPageId=771&pageAction=showSubPage
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2014, 11:45:02 am »

Mr. Christopher - what a magnificent set of uploads today, particularly, perhaps, the Latvian ones. Thank you so much.
Just wondering - the Kepitis symphony; movements 1 & 3 are clear to see in Mediafire - is the 'track 5' at the top intended to be movement 2 ?
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest224
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2014, 12:02:22 pm »

Mr. Christopher - what a magnificent set of uploads today, particularly, perhaps, the Latvian ones. Thank you so much.
Just wondering - the Kepitis symphony; movements 1 & 3 are clear to see in Mediafire - is the 'track 5' at the top intended to be movement 2 ?

Not at all, I hope you enjoy!  I have derived so much pleasure from the music that others have uploaded here, and so am glad to be able to put back in for once!  I have spent a fair amount of time and money acquiring these LPs and cassette, then digitalising them and labelling them up.  And then uploading them to mediafire and putting the notices here (till 3am this morning!) so it's very gratifying to get feedback, thank you! 

You are right about the track name for the Kepitis - this should read Simfonija No.3 for string orchestra - II. Largo  -- I have changed this.

I've got quite a few more postings to make.  All my Latvian and Lithuanian music is now up (until and unless I get some more...), but there's a lot of Russian music to come.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2014, 05:38:26 pm »

Terrific - thanks; will look forward to some Russian music when you have the time !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Wiktorio30Poland
Level 3

Times thanked: 26

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2014, 01:29:47 pm »

[/quote]

Hi Dave,
Is it possible you me send/or post act 1? So the opera is complete?

Thanks

Roelof
[/quote]

Hi Elroel
The complete opera Uguns us nakts is in download section in one mp3
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2014, 02:00:10 pm »

Thank you Wiktorio.

I'll download and listen today.

Report Spam   Logged
fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2015, 01:46:50 pm »

Thank you very much, rkhenderson, for the Latvian uploads of music of Juris Karlsons. These works were all new to me.
Report Spam   Logged
fr8nks
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2015, 11:15:46 pm »

Thanks, RK, for the Janis Kalnins Violin Concerto. I am a big fan of Latvian music and was unaware that this recording existed.

Frank
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2015, 10:45:24 pm »

Thanks, RK, for the Janis Kalnins Violin Concerto. I am a big fan of Latvian music and was unaware that this recording existed.

Frank
Kalnins is a very interesting and somewhat enigmatic composer for me
I have found his music to be quite uneven, but when he is good he is great..The Volin concerto is a wonderful work..
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2015, 10:49:49 pm »

Thank you very much, rkhenderson, for the Latvian uploads of music of Juris Karlsons. These works were all new to me.
I have found Karlsons music to be of consistently high quality and extremely  enjoyable. He is probably lesser known
only because he is in the midst of so much great Latvian talent. Thanks for making his music more available to everyone..
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2015, 10:08:54 pm »

Frank
I have found his music to be quite uneven, but when he is good he is great..The Volin concerto is a wonderful work..
I finally acquired the CD of his Symphony of the Beatitudes (originally composed with texts in English, and later adapted for a Latvian version), with "The brethren cemetery" and the better-known New Brunswick Rhapsody. The symphony's originality is not immediately striking, however it is certainly worth investigating in more depth.
Actually, Jānis Kalniņš, from the only few works I've heard of his, puzzles me less than the much better-known Imants Kalniņš, whose music includes some very striking moments (in his frontal, almost provocative directness) alongside many whose substance I still fail to grasp.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2015, 10:19:48 pm »

Frank
I finally acquired the CD of his Symphony of the Beatitudes (originally composed with texts in English, and later adapted for a Latvian version), with "The brethren cemetery" and the better-known New Brunswick Rhapsody. The symphony's originality is not immediately striking, however it is certainly worth investigating in more depth.
Actually, Jānis Kalniņš, from the only few works I've heard of his, puzzles me less than the much better-known Imants Kalniņš, whose music includes some very striking moments (in his frontal, almost provocative directness) alongside many whose substance I still fail to grasp.
Imants Kalniņš violin concerto is an awesome and highly original work..
Report Spam   Logged
fr8nks
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2015, 01:38:16 pm »

Sorry, Roger, Imants Kalnins didn't write a Violin Concerto. You must mean Janis Kalnins.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: