The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:07:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Latvian music

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latvian music  (Read 13392 times)
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 10:57:04 pm »

Thanks

(Amazing how many composers such a small country has produced in the C20).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 02:56:12 am »

Many thanks for the Peteris Vasks "Sala" :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 11:58:53 am »

Vasks' Sala sounds rather English in places. You don't suppose the island in question is Britain, do you?
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2013, 04:10:26 pm »

Many thanks, Maris, for the Kepitis symphonies :)

Another Latvian composer completely unknown to me :)
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2013, 10:20:23 pm »

Ivanovo Symphony No 13 "symphonia humana" has spoken word commentary between the movements (in Latvian, obviously).

Does anyone know what the gist of this is?, I am enjoying the music immensely (ditto the rest of Ivanovs' symphonies).
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2013, 11:58:08 am »

Ivanovo Symphony No 13 "symphonia humana" has spoken word commentary between the movements (in Latvian, obviously).

Does anyone know what the gist of this is?, I am enjoying the music immensely (ditto the rest of Ivanovs' symphonies).

I don't speak Latvian myself, but I remember that (our member) Latvian once said the text is an eulogy for Lenin. Moreover, I somehow have in mind the symphony is dedicated to Lenin's 100th birthday, so this seems to make sense. Given these circumstances, it is of course a bit strange it is actually the only of Ivanovs' later symphonies which Melodiya did not bring out on LP! In any case, I also like this symphony a lot. It is distinguished by a special atmosphere, serious and solemn at the same time, somewhat remote and thoughtful especially in the outer movements.
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2013, 11:40:18 pm »

Interesting, probably one of the best paeans to Lenin ever! The first movement after the prologue I found very good, it had a striving, coming into being sort of quality, the other instrumental movements were very good too.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2013, 04:59:53 am »

Interesting, probably one of the best paeans to Lenin ever! The first movement after the prologue I found very good, it had a striving, coming into being sort of quality, the other instrumental movements were very good too.
a misplaced paean, but a fine work nonetheless.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2013, 05:55:36 am »

http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue/product.aspx?pid=1978823

I see where Naxos has released a CD that I had been trying to find for years .. now on CD !  Ha

GRINBLATS, R.: Rigonda Suite (Latvian State Opera and Ballet Theatre Orchestra, Tons) (1961)

Composer(s)   Grinblats, Romaulds
Artist(s)    Tons, Edgars, Conductor • Latvian State Opera and Ballet Theatre Orchestra

Genre    Classical Music
Category    Unknown
Catalogue    9.81209
Label    Naxos Classical Archives
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2013, 02:29:47 pm »

Latvian-Candian pianist Arturs Ozoliņš is very much alive. The obituary quoted in the upload of Mediņš' 24 Dainas is for someone else. Pianist Ozoliņš was born in 1946, not 1920, the date cited in the obituary.

I've also met pianist Ozoliņš and he certainly is much more youthful than the gentleman in the obituary would have been.

Thanks... I will delete that ob then. 
Report Spam   Logged
Wiktorio30Poland
Level 3

Times thanked: 26

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2014, 11:30:16 am »

Thank You all for so many interesting pieces of music form Latvia.

I am now listening to music of Andrejs Jurjans, but for me Latvia together with Slovakia, and Finnland is very important to such typ[e of music.

If it possible please somebody upload this orchestral piece of Adolfs Abele, that has Orphan in title, and the second part of ballet Negaiss by Skulte, because in this link i saw, are only part 1 and 3.

Somebody knows maybe which one of the latvian composers use the original latvian and latgalian folk melodies in the symphonic or other works ?
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 12:54:21 pm »

What Jurjans works have been recorded other than the Symphonic Allegro?  It blows my socks off every time I listen to it, so I would love to hear his other works.
Report Spam   Logged
Wiktorio30Poland
Level 3

Times thanked: 26

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2014, 01:04:21 pm »

I have only some works from radio broadcasts and youtube. I proove someday to upload it, but it takes some time.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2014, 02:38:40 pm »

Yes indeed, Jurjans' Symphonic Allegro is a riveting work! I'd certainly like to hear more of his music :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2014, 05:57:25 am »

Yes indeed, Jurjans' Symphonic Allegro is a riveting work! I'd certainly like to hear more of his music :)

I have the "March of Song Festival", "Latvian Dances", "Concerto for Cello and Funeral March"
 (Melodiya  3819)  the other LP I have is Melodiya  C10 26679 with "Cantata to Fatherlands"  and "Sym study:  Emancipation of the Latvian People"   and Cantata "Sing Ligo..."
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: