The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:02:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Latvian music

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latvian music  (Read 13345 times)
shamus
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 03:31:16 am »

I don't think anyone has mentioned another absolute Latvian star, at least in my book, and easy to mix up with Karlsons, that is Romualds Kalsons. And there are many younger ones whose music is top-notch: Artur Maskats, Ilona Brege, Selma Mences, Karli Laci, et al.
And don't forget the fine composer Ester Magi, to whose music Toccata Classics has done a great service.

http://www.amazon.com/Ester-M%C3%A4gi-Orchestral-Music-Magi/dp/B000O5B4YC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360985296&sr=8-1&keywords=ester+magi

The Latvian radio station is wonderful, especially for me on Wednesday nights when the fare is often more modern or current. But any other day can have a delightful surprise as well.

This is the calendar for the programming, just click on the day you are interested in and the day's program will come up in another tab, and they have archives for several previous years, a veritable half life's work just to explore.
http://ww0.latvijasradio.lv/program/3/2013/index.htm
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 12:51:28 pm »

Isn't Ester Mägi an Estonian lady?
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 04:48:55 pm »

Ooops! Of course she is, sorry. Jim
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 06:22:41 pm »

I just found in my discs which need to have covers made for them, a symphony no. 7 and 8 by Ramans...I have no idea where I got them or what the orchestra is or the conductor.  I searched here and in Unsung composers and could find not such listing.  Latvian, if you know, please giveme some info....Thanks Malito
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 06:50:47 pm »

I'm replying to my own comment!!!  I realized I got the Ramans 7th and 8th from Atsushi.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 05:29:53 pm »

Ramans - a delightful, and huge (!) upload, thank you so much, Maris - am enjoying the 5th Symphony now...choral, so pretty sure to find favour here !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
kyjo
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 09:04:53 pm »

Another excellent batch of uploads of music by a composer previously unknown to me! How marvelous :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
MVS
Level 2

Times thanked: 12

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 02:33:07 am »

Oh, yes!  Ramans is VERY interesting!  Great uploads, Maris! THANKS!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 08:27:19 am »

Some annotations also from my side. Ramans is a very fine composer in my view, I already knew his symphonies and much enjoy them. Music that constantly finds its way to my CD player. Here are a few more details just to add some information to Maris' uploads.

Symphony No. 2: The four movements also have titles, namely
I. Thoughts
II. Work
III. Interlude
IV. Holiday

Symphony No. 6: actually, the third movement is marked Andante and the fourth Risoluto energico.

From all I know, this is still not Ramans' complete symphonic cycle, there should also be a Symphony No. 9. I'd be much interested in that one but I have very little hope a recording exists.

Furthermore, I once did some research to get the complete names of the flute players in case of the Music for String Orchestra and four Flutes (which appeared on LP together with the Fourth Symphony). These are: Vilnis Strautņš, Lilija Veilande-Štrāla, Lamonis Lazdiņš and Jānis Morics.

Hope this is of some interest.
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2013, 05:17:22 pm »

It is indeed wonderful to have these two important groups of symphonies, liels paldies Māri!
I first heard of both composers when Frans C. Lemaire published his first book about composers from Russia and the former Soviet republics (Ed. Fayard), a very good survey by the way, even though it may not be the most technically accurate reference in musical terms. Until now, I had heard Grīnups's First, Sixth, Ninth and the sinfonia for strings. Indulis Suna has uploaded his own performances of some violin pieces by Grīnups on YouTube. As for Ramans, his Sixth is surprisingly imposing and gripping for those who only know Concerto leggiero and other pieces which one would almost classify as "crossover" nowadays.
Has Ramans's Ninth ever been performed and recorded?
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 01:52:12 pm »

His music is very scarce.
I had to piece it together and reedit it as it was shamefully split into 2 pieces ..

This broadcast:

Karlsons,Juri - Silver Veil. symphony pages
LNSO , Andris Vecumnieks
Latvian Radio 3 - Classics Thursday, 2009. OF 5. February

this site

http://www.latvijasradio.lv/program/3/2012/index.htm
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 02:59:08 am »

Please be advised, the audio is not the best, but the slow section is really gorgeous..
Maybe not a masterpiece for all, but I love the piece.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 06:53:34 am »

A substantial collection of the symphonic music of Latvian composer Juris Karlsons has just been uploaded, including a couple of works that were requested by others on the forum. Enjoy!
Kudos for The Karlsons..
Latvia's musical treasures amaze me!
here is another beauty I heard..

Karlsons, Juri - Music for Chamber Orchestra
Kremerata Baltica, Viesturs Jansons, Aldis Liepins
Latvian Radio 3 - Classical Wednesday, 2009, of 19 August
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 03:06:56 am »

There's certainly a surfetit of symphonic cycles here on the Latvian music thread!

I'm going through the Kalnins cycle at the moment. Can anyone tell me what the texts in the 2nd & 4th movements of his 6th symphony are?

Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 05:10:20 am »

And another query.

Which od the Latvian composers symphonic cycles shall I tackle next after Kalnins (information: my favourite mid/late C20 symphonists are Vaughan Williams, Robert Simpson, Havergal Brian, Shostakovitch, David Diamond, Alan Petersson, David Matthews)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: