The Art-Music Forum
November 18, 2019, 11:35:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Latvian music

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latvian music  (Read 7111 times)
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 12:09:35 am »

Sveiks, Mari!

Thank you SOOOO much for the 10 Grinups symphonies.  I have long loved #6 which I had on Melodiya and Atsushi Sato had sente me #1, 8, and 9.  But now to hear them all...My God, it is like winning the Latvian Lottery!!  Thank you so very much.  I have long been a fan of Imants Kalnins and almost met hi 3 summers ago when I was there visiting friends,  I heard rumors of a symphony no. 7.  Do you have any knowlege of this?
Report Spam   Logged
Latvian
Level 5

Times thanked: 46

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 01:21:09 pm »

Sveiks, Malito!

You're very welcome! I hope you enjoy them all.

Yes, I've heard rumors of a 7th Symphony as well. Unfortunately, just rumors so far. I do hope it actually materializes.
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 06:50:53 pm »

Playing all the Grinups symphonies in a row.  Listening to No. 5 now which is fabulous!!!  Thanks you again.  Now I have complete symphonies of Grinups, Skulte, Kalnins and Ivanovs.  I never dreamed I would ever see the day!  Thanks again, Mari!!!

Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 11:17:49 am »

Many thanks from me as well, Maris - I only knew (and liked) Nos. 1, 6 and 9 as well as the beautiful Sinfonia per archi. Frans C. Lemaire mentions Grīnups in his book about Russian and ex-USSR composers, as well as Ramans, as two interesting symphonists in the generation between Ivanovs/Ā.Skulte and Dambis/I.Kalniņš, but without going into much details. Ramans's Sixth is quite strong as well, and very different from the lighter works he is apparently best known for.

This reminds me of another composer whose name is familiar (not only through his famous daughter) but whose music is almost absent from the catalogue: Alberts Jerums. His Second sonata for violin and piano is superb. Do you know of any recordings of his orchestral music?
Report Spam   Logged
Latvian
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 08:58:10 pm »

Ramans's Sixth is quite strong as well, and very different from the lighter works he is apparently best known for.

Interesting that you should mention Ramans... I'm planning to upload some of his music soon. Yes, very interesting.

This reminds me of another composer whose name is familiar (not only through his famous daughter) but whose music is almost absent from the catalogue: Alberts Jerums. His Second sonata for violin and piano is superb. Do you know of any recordings of his orchestral music?

Yes, I have one work of his for chamber orchestra, which I can upload in the near future.

I didn't know Jerums had a famous daughter -- who is she and what is she famous for? I knew a daughter of his named Jana, who sang in a wonderful Latvian chamber choir called "Atbalss" (Echo), in London back in the 1980s. Sadly I never met Jerums himself. He died in 1979, just as my involvement in emigre Latvian music began. Jerums is still revered among emigre Latvians for his cultural contributions, but apart from a choral setting of the Latvian folksong "Ej, saulite, driz pie Dieva," his music is almost never performed, sadly. Even from Latvia itself, I don't hear about any significant performances. A well-loved personality in England in his lifetime, and a "musician's musician" among his colleagues. A fine conductor as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 10:00:27 am »

Juris Karlsons is very gifted Larvian composer, I think his Silver Veil is a masterpiece that should be heard by everyone.
Not much of his music has been posted.

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 11:34:45 pm »

Hadn't heard of Karlsons before! Could you please tell me where his Silver Veil can be heard? If it's a masterpiece I'd certainly like to hear it Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Latvian
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 01:30:21 am »

Could you please tell me where his Silver Veil can be heard?

I have a broadcast recording of the suite from this ballet that I can upload. Will try to do so this weekend.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 01:45:12 am »

Excellent, Maris! I knew I could count on you Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 03:31:16 am »

I don't think anyone has mentioned another absolute Latvian star, at least in my book, and easy to mix up with Karlsons, that is Romualds Kalsons. And there are many younger ones whose music is top-notch: Artur Maskats, Ilona Brege, Selma Mences, Karli Laci, et al.
And don't forget the fine composer Ester Magi, to whose music Toccata Classics has done a great service.

http://www.amazon.com/Ester-M%C3%A4gi-Orchestral-Music-Magi/dp/B000O5B4YC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360985296&sr=8-1&keywords=ester+magi

The Latvian radio station is wonderful, especially for me on Wednesday nights when the fare is often more modern or current. But any other day can have a delightful surprise as well.

This is the calendar for the programming, just click on the day you are interested in and the day's program will come up in another tab, and they have archives for several previous years, a veritable half life's work just to explore.
http://ww0.latvijasradio.lv/program/3/2013/index.htm
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 12:51:28 pm »

Isn't Ester Mägi an Estonian lady?
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 04:48:55 pm »

Ooops! Of course she is, sorry. Jim
Report Spam   Logged
Latvian
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 12:40:01 am »

I have a broadcast recording of the suite from this ballet that I can upload. Will try to do so this weekend.

A few more days, I'm afraid -- haven't had time to hunt down the CD-R!
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 06:22:41 pm »

I just found in my discs which need to have covers made for them, a symphony no. 7 and 8 by Ramans...I have no idea where I got them or what the orchestra is or the conductor.  I searched here and in Unsung composers and could find not such listing.  Latvian, if you know, please giveme some info....Thanks Malito
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 06:50:47 pm »

I'm replying to my own comment!!!  I realized I got the Ramans 7th and 8th from Atsushi.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: