The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:38:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Latvian music

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latvian music  (Read 13424 times)
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 10:30:35 pm »

Just now as I write I'm listening again to Symphony No.9, - 33' in and the work is just about over.  A "farewell Symphony" you say, - "autumnul", "melancholic", and "retrospective".  I should be in my element here.
But it's not really happening so.  I can relate your words somewhat to the passing sounds at times, and the overall mood I feel some resonance with.  However the themes I just don't find compelling, - not "memorable" as I say,
nor does the piece as whole hang together for me, - it is just a "succession" but not a "coherence".  There are fragments that engage me momentarily, even a few sustained passages I hear some  "call" from.  But overall, - and the piece has now finished - I'm rather indifferent to it.  It's a miss.  I can't say any more.

Whether one is caught by a given piece cannot (and certainly should not) be commanded. I confess having some difficulty to be fully convinced by the final part of the 9th, much as I would like to. In contrast, the slow movement is, to me, fully convincing and something to wallow in. It could be kitsch, and so it is to an extent. It reminds me of atmospheric film music, which is normally not an unmitigated positive comment for me, when it comes to symphonies. Yet, I find it moving and satisfactory. Right now, it reminds me of Atterberg's Fifth. Totally different music, I know, but in both cases, the craftsman's skills recede out of sight, the strings (no pun intended) are set loose and the music stands perfectly on its own right.

As for the Fifth, it does have many dark sides, but I have always perceived it as quite hedonistic at the same time, more so, indeed, than most other Skulte symphonies. Light-hearted it is not, but rather sensuous.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: