The Art-Music Forum
November 20, 2019, 09:01:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Latvian music

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latvian music  (Read 7135 times)
Greg K
Level 4

Times thanked: 81

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2012, 03:47:09 pm »

What escapes me a little about your statement, Greg, is why you think this music is not memorable. Quite on the contrary, it's highly memorable in my view. Each symphony contains passages and tunes which I could recall at any time by heart!

The why escapes me also, Holger, at least in any very articulable sense, else I might have tried to elaborate on it.
I fully acknowledge that for me to say "not distinctive or memorable" about most of Skulte's Symphonies without any explanation offers no insight and makes the measure of my sensibility at least suspicious.  To the extent I provoked your much more interesting descriptions, I'm happy for my comments to serve as a completely forgettable "set-up".

Just now as I write I'm listening again to Symphony No.9, - 33' in and the work is just about over.  A "farewell Symphony" you say, - "autumnul", "melancholic", and "retrospective".  I should be in my element here.
But it's not really happening so.  I can relate your words somewhat to the passing sounds at times, and the overall mood I feel some resonance with.  However the themes I just don't find compelling, - not "memorable" as I say,
nor does the piece as whole hang together for me, - it is just a "succession" but not a "coherence".  There are fragments that engage me momentarily, even a few sustained passages I hear some  "call" from.  But overall, - and the piece has now finished - I'm rather indifferent to it.  It's a miss.  I can't say any more.

No.4 is a different story, and I do love Skulte for that one, - though the "Youth" motif mostly escapes me, and I can't at all say "sparkling lightness" is the impression that carries the day with me.  If "youth" means anything for me here I would understand it more as "youth in restrospect" inasmuch as I hear a certain "wistfulness" and reminescence at least parrellel to the qualities you depict.  Maris will decide Smiley.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: