The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:34:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Czech Music

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Czech Music  (Read 16757 times)
guest128
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 11:42:10 pm »

Thanks very much indeed for the unexpected delight of the Havelka Symphony :) What a splendid work by another composer completely new to me :)

I don't find it especially satisfying or effective as a Symphony.  Far too episodic, though the parts are often engrossing.  Is there a unity and cohesion to the work I might be missing?  It just seems like one thing after another, and then at a certain point the music stops.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 12:18:18 am »

Apparently "his compositions have been strongly influenced by his Christian faith, inspired by biblical subjects." Nevertheless this symphony is somehow much too reminiscent of Shostakowich for my liking.

Perhaps the "better sound" comes from a rediscovered master tape at Czech Radio?
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 09:24:45 pm »

Episodic, yes. Shostakovich-influenced, yes. Enjoyable nonetheless.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2012, 09:42:56 pm »

Episodic, yes. Shostakovich-influenced, yes. Enjoyable nonetheless.

Enjoyable nonetheless, yes.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 08:26:38 am »

Personally, I find the first movement of Havelka's Symphony quite impressive because it spans a large bow of drama. Of course, this is in Shostakovich's footsteps, but on the other hand, Havelka was still a young composer when he wrote this - and as later works show, this is not where he stopped, but he went on developing an own style. For me, it's quite a fine proof of talent in any case.

By the way, this symphony has also been brought out on a 2CD set by Czech radio (which I have), together with quite a number of other pieces by him, including the "Second Symphony" he actually never wrote (but was asked for for years): his "Dance Sinfonietta" from 2001.

I might upload his oratorio "In Praise of Light" for the forum if there is interest (I have it on LP).
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 01:30:12 am »

Thanks, Sydney, for the Borkovec Piano Concerto no. 1 :)! It is indeed influenced considerably by Prokofiev (none the worse for that ;D), as many of his other compositions are.

Re Holger's post: I would be very grateful if you could upload that Havelka cantata :)!
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 01:49:48 pm »

And I'm very grateful that the cantata was uploaded - delightful, thanks !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
kyjo
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 07:37:45 pm »

Indeed, Clive! Thank you once again, Holger :)!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 02:35:01 am »

Thank you, Sydney, for the Oskar Nedbal piece :)! It is indeed very beautiful :). It's great to see some late-romantic gems pop up every now and then amongst the mainly modern uploads here.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 02:53:47 am »

Thank you very much, Roelof, for the Palenicek Piano Concerto no. 3 and the Kalabis Piano Concerto :)

I never expected there to be so much of these two wonderful composers available :)

P.S. All my posts today have been thanks for recent uploads ;D-that just goes to show what a magnificent downloads section this is becoming :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 01:36:07 pm »

Thank you for the Hanus Essays, Sydney. Any more Hanus you can get your hands on would be greatly appreciated. What a marvelous composer!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 01:47:02 pm »

Just thought that I should point out that the Kalabis Piano Concerto made available is his First. There was a Piano Concerto No.2 for piano and wind instruments from 1985.

I have been away for a few days and have a LOT of new music downloads to catalogue ;D  My warmest thanks, as ever, for the kindness and generosity of all who are sharing from their collections :)
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 03:52:49 pm »

Colin,

You're very right of course. I used the text from the sleeve, but I didn't realise there was a second PC. In any case it was not existant when they release the lp involved. Apart from that I don't have that 2nd one, so I didn't awake.

Roelof
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 03:57:13 pm »

Sydney,

And thank you for paying back with that second work of Nedbal.

Roelof
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 07:45:43 pm »

Thanks again, Sydney, for the Hanus and Nedbal pieces :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: