The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:44:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Czech Music

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Czech Music  (Read 16665 times)
Corentin Boissier
Level 2

Times thanked: 9

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2018, 06:35:38 pm »

The links of Josef Matĕj's "Sinfonia Dramatica" (posted by Elroel on September 7, 2012) are now dead.
Could someone possibly re-upload this work?
Thank you in advance,
Corentin Boissier
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2018, 11:45:29 pm »

The links of Josef Matĕj's "Sinfonia Dramatica" (posted by Elroel on September 7, 2012) are now dead.
Could someone possibly re-upload this work?
Thank you in advance,
Corentin Boissier

Corentin,

I have re-uploaded this for you. Please let me know if the link does not work.
Report Spam   Logged
Corentin Boissier
Level 2

Times thanked: 9

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2018, 12:33:21 pm »

Corentin,

I have re-uploaded this for you. Please let me know if the link does not work.

Thank you very much for this! The link works perfectly.
I take the opportunity to thank you for all your marvelous contributions on this forum, as well as for your precious Composer Catalogues that I frequently consult. You are one of the greatest members of this forum, and on my side I'm 23 years old, and I hope that, one day, I'll have your musical culture...
I wish you all the best for the upcoming year,
Corentin Boissier, composer
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2018, 12:58:50 pm »

:-[

That is incredibly kind of you....blushes!

Re-uploading music when the old links are dead is a pleasure and is possible because I downloaded virtually everything that other members so generously contributed in the past.

The catalogues to which you refer are, unfortunately, not updated and have not been for about four years. There have been many cd recordings of music since then (and living composers have added to their list of compositions). I have tried to update the originals on my own hard drive but have simply not had the time to update the lists online- I have so many other unrelated research activities underway! But...if you still find them useful then I am delighted!

There were "certain difficulties" on this forum a few months back. Such generous and flattering comments do so much to encourage me to continue my contributions. I thank you most sincerely!!

I see that you are indeed a young composer:
http://www.corentinboissier.net/Corentin_Boissier,_composer/1._Welcome.html

Can I wish you every success in your career! You are part of the Future of classical music and I hope that you achieve the success you obviously deserve!
Report Spam   Logged
aphonia
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2019, 11:43:29 am »

Jiří Jaroch – The Old Man And The Sea (Symphonic Poem After Ernest Hemingway) (1960)

I have uploaded a recording from the broadcast on CRo (Czech Radio) D-dur classical music station in the downloads section.
The sound quality is Ogg Vorbis 224 kbps stereo.

Just would like to share it from my archive...
aphonia

At least for me in Germany the videos in this playlist are not available!
If someone could perhaps provide a copy of the Jaroch piece here in our forum?

Thanks,   mjkF

It's not just you in Germany; the link looks to be broken to me too, or the video removed. I have posted my copy of the work as an mp3 in the downloads section. The sound is poor quality mono, but it's sadly the best we can get.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2021, 09:54:17 pm »

You're welcome, Lionel.

The Smetacek recording is how I first came to know this piece [Foerster 4th Symphony] and fell in love with it. Still my favorite, although the sound is more up to date in this broadcast, and I also wouldn't want to be without Kubelik's 1940s recording on Supraphon.

I appreciate your comments, but if I may politely remind everyone: comments should go in the Downloads Discussion folder, not here. This folder is reserved exclusively for notices of downloads.  :)

Oops. I'm sorry. I will try hard to remember but I am old and very forgtful. The stories I could tell you about that...

:-\
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2021, 11:28:29 pm »

I have uploaded a recording from the broadcast on CRo (Czech Radio) D-dur classical music station in the downloads section.
The sound quality is Ogg Vorbis 224 kbps stereo.

Thank you very much, all such downloads are appreciated! However, this work in the same recording is already here in the Czech Music folder, uploaded several years ago by member jowcol and the link is still active. I haven't compared your upload and his but possibly the quality of your file is better.

Isn't this a testament to the depth of this forum, that a seemingly obscure work can get uploaded by more than one member unknowingly!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2021, 12:44:10 pm »

J. B. Foerster's 4th Symphony -- what a find! This is music in which form and substance are united to provide a powerful utterance. It's unmistakeaby the work of a Bohemian composer. When discussing the music of less-well known composers I tend to find that drawing comparisons with the music of other, more well-known figures a resticting exercise, which runs the risk of categorising the unfamiliar as mere epigones.  Thus, if I suggest that the influences of Smetana and Dvořák are there, it's maybe because Foerster was drinking from the same springs as the older masters, not that he is a slavish imitator.  This symphony is very beautiful as well as satisfying.

By the way, for those interested in such matters, I have unearthed the fact that this recording derives from a live concert from the BBC's Maida Vale Studios in London on Sunday, 13th June 2010 and was actually the London premičre of the work!

Thanks once again, Maris.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2021, 01:41:10 pm »

I'll want to hear this;but once your ears adjust to the 'woolly' sound (not one of Supraphon's best,even for that period!) you get that lovely sound of the woodwinds and horns,you get from those old soviet era,Czech recordings. I've read less positive observations about his other symphonies. One chap at another forum (not that one!) did suggest the MDG performances were the chief culprits. I wouldn't know? I haven't listened to them. It's a pity Supraphon wasn't interested in them. The Fourth Symphony is magnificent,though. Come on,Chandos! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2021, 11:12:04 pm »

J. B. Foerster's 4th Symphony -- what a find! This is music in which form and substance are united to provide a powerful utterance. It's unmistakeaby the work of a Bohemian composer. When discussing the music of less-well known composers I tend to find that drawing comparisons with the music of other, more well-known figures a resticting exercise, which runs the risk of categorising the unfamiliar as mere epigones.  Thus, if I suggest that the influences of Smetana and Dvořák are there, it's maybe because Foerster was drinking from the same springs as the older masters, not that he is a slavish imitator.  This symphony is very beautiful as well as satisfying.

Indeed, I believe Foerster was following in the national tradition of Smetana, Dvorak, Suk, Novak, etc. Consider also that when such a distinctive national tradition arises, the style characteristics, and compositional techniques are going to be taught and held up for emulation and inspiration in the country's conservatories and by composers who teach. Think also of Finland, where Sibelius established a national tradition and sound world that influenced composers in that country for generations. Of course, there will always be those who consciously reject the idiom and strike out on their own, but unless they also emerge as major figures on their own their voices often take time to be heard, gain acceptance, and begin to influence.

By the way, for those interested in such matters, I have unearthed the fact that this recording derives from a live concert from the BBC's Maida Vale Studios in London on Sunday, 13th June 2010 and was actually the London premičre of the work!

Thanks for this information!

I'll want to hear this;but once your ears adjust to the 'woolly' sound (not one of Supraphon's best,even for that period!) you get that lovely sound of the woodwinds and horns,you get from those old soviet era,Czech recordings. I've read less positive observations about his other symphonies. One chap at another forum (not that one!) did suggest the MDG performances were the chief culprits. I wouldn't know? I haven't listened to them. It's a pity Supraphon wasn't interested in them. The Fourth Symphony is magnificent,though.

Yes, the Czech woodwinds had tremendous character back in the 1950s and 1960s especially. One of the joys of listening to Karel Ancerl's Supraphon recordings is the distinctive sound of the winds in the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra.

I have all the other Foerster symphonies, and while they're all lovely, attractive, well-written works, none of them are anywhere near as powerful and memorable as the 4th. I can upload them in non-commercial performances if there's interest.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2021, 08:36:40 am »

Yes, the Czech woodwinds had tremendous character back in the 1950s and 1960s especially. One of the joys of listening to Karel Ancerl's Supraphon recordings is the distinctive sound of the winds in the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra.

I have all the other Foerster symphonies, and while they're all lovely, attractive, well-written works, none of them are anywhere near as powerful and memorable as the 4th. I can upload them in non-commercial performances if there's interest.

At the risk of a good wrist-slapping from the moderators for an off-topic tangent, my favourite recording (by some distance) of Shostakovich's fifth symphony is by the Czech Philharmonic under Ancerl on Supraphon (SUA 10423). It's an LP I treasure and (having retained every LP I ever bought and the means to play them) the lovely Samantha spins that disc on my turntable with great frequency.  ;)

If you could find time to upload the other Foerster symphonies, Maris, I should be most grateful. If they are lovely I'd like to hear them. We can never have enough lovliness in our lives!

;D 
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2021, 11:13:42 am »

my favourite recording (by some distance) of Shostakovich's fifth symphony is by the Czech Philharmonic under Ancerl on Supraphon (SUA 10423).

Mine, too! Another timeless favorite is Ancerl's recording of excerpts from Prokofiev's Romeo and Julliet. Two of the first LPs I ever bought. Long since replaced by CD reissues, in my case, but I'll never forget those LP jackets, either.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2021, 11:31:04 am »

my favourite recording (by some distance) of Shostakovich's fifth symphony is by the Czech Philharmonic under Ancerl on Supraphon (SUA 10423).

Mine, too! Another timeless favorite is Ancerl's recording of excerpts from Prokofiev's Romeo and Julliet. Two of the first LPs I ever bought. Long since replaced by CD reissues, in my case, but I'll never forget those LP jackets, either.

Yes! And not forgetting Ancerl's stunning recordings of Janácek's Sinfonietta and Taras Bulba, and Martinů's 5th & 6th Symphonies and Memorial to Lidice. He was a very great conductor of a very fine orchestra.

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2021, 09:09:43 pm »

Karel Ančerl's Dvorak is great,too! Again,the sound of that Czech woodwind & horns.And,not,really the right place here,I suppose? But I listened to his Mahler Ninth,recently. One of the best I've heard. And the sound of that soviet era,Czech orchestra,really marks it out from the herd. Unlike,Smetáček's Foerster recording,the sound quality (I have the Gold edition cd) is very good! Oh,and don't let the recording quality of the Smetáček Foerster,put you off! Once your ears adjust,it is worth it! But wait for a low price!!

I enjoyed his recording of these two rare works,too! I bought the cd's out of curiosity. The Václav Dobias Symphony No 2 is a bit of a blockbuster. The sound is a little reverberant. I enjoyed it. I'm not sure that,anyone,except Ančerl could make it sound quite as good as it does here,though? Jarmil Burghauser’s Seven Reliefs for Large Orchestra is possibly the stand out though (and shorter! ;D). I seem to recall it uses a flexatone (?) which sounded very eerie,indeed,to my ears! I wouldn't want to listen to it,late at night,in the dark!! :o ;D

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-11729/
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2021, 09:22:54 pm »

Karel Ančerl's Dvorak is great,too! Again,the sound of that Czech woodwind & horns.And,not,really the right place here,I suppose? But I listened to his Mahler Ninth,recently. One of the best I've heard. And the sound of that soviet era,Czech orchestra,really marks it out from the herd. Unlike,Smetáček's Foerster recording,the sound quality (I have the Gold edition cd) is very good! Oh,and don't let the recording quality of the Smetáček Foerster,put you off! Once your ears adjust,it is worth it! But wait for a low price!!

I enjoyed his recording of these two rare works,too! I bought the cd's out of curiosity. The Václav Dobias Symphony No 2 is a bit of a blockbuster. The sound is a little reverberant. I enjoyed it. I'm not sure that,anyone,except Ančerl could make it sound quite as good as it does here,though? Jarmil Burghauser’s Seven Reliefs for Large Orchestra is possibly the stand out though (and shorter! ;D). I seem to recall it uses a flexatone (?) which sounded very eerie,indeed,to my ears! I wouldn't want to listen to it,late at night,in the dark!! :o ;D

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-11729/

Oh yes, Ancerl's Dvořák is as good as it gets (along with Rafael Kubelik's).

Thanks for the link to the review of Václav Dobias's Symphony No 2. On the strength of your comments (and those of Victor Carr Jr. at Classics Today) I am going to have to get that. I don't know, with all the recommendations I get from you for wonderful English music (and domestic appliances -- Dyson - geddit?) I am going to be going seriously overdrawn. When the bailiffs turn up, I'll point them in your direction.

;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: