The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:15:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Czech Music

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Czech Music  (Read 16675 times)
guest822
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2021, 08:36:40 am »

Yes, the Czech woodwinds had tremendous character back in the 1950s and 1960s especially. One of the joys of listening to Karel Ancerl's Supraphon recordings is the distinctive sound of the winds in the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra.

I have all the other Foerster symphonies, and while they're all lovely, attractive, well-written works, none of them are anywhere near as powerful and memorable as the 4th. I can upload them in non-commercial performances if there's interest.

At the risk of a good wrist-slapping from the moderators for an off-topic tangent, my favourite recording (by some distance) of Shostakovich's fifth symphony is by the Czech Philharmonic under Ancerl on Supraphon (SUA 10423). It's an LP I treasure and (having retained every LP I ever bought and the means to play them) the lovely Samantha spins that disc on my turntable with great frequency.  ;)

If you could find time to upload the other Foerster symphonies, Maris, I should be most grateful. If they are lovely I'd like to hear them. We can never have enough lovliness in our lives!

;D 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: