The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:40:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Arthur Butterworth on Lyrita

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arthur Butterworth on Lyrita  (Read 1038 times)
northern
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2016, 04:18:33 pm »

Symphonies 1, 2 & 4 BBCSSO.
sorry, can't do a link from my mobile to Amazon. This 2 disc set is a bit of a strange choice, but it may have something to do with the artists or how they plan to release the other symphonies   ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 07:17:53 pm »

Symphonies Nos. 1, 2 and 4.

Well now...the Butterworth Symphony No.1 is already available on two cd labels. On Dutton there is the 1958 Proms performance with the Halle Orchestra under Sir John Barbirolli while if you need a more modern recording there is the Munich Symphony Orchestra under Douglas Bostock on Classico recorded in 1998.

The Symphony No.4 is on the same double cd release from Dutton as the First with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra under the composer recorded in 2008.

The Symphony No.2 (1962-64) has never appeared on cd. The recording in our archive is a performance by the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra with the composer conducting.
I guess that this is probably the performance which will be on Lyrita.

"Strange" ??? Yes I rather think that it is. I would have thought that the sensible couplings for Symphony No.2 would have been Symphony No.3 "Sinfonia Borealis" (1979) which has not been recorded commercially and is slightly shorter than either Nos. 1 or 4. Bryden Thomson conducted the BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra in its premiere, that performance was broadcast and is in our archive.

To that could have been added the big Violin Concerto of 1978. The recording in our archive comes from 1981 and has Nigel Kennedy (no less) as soloist with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra under the composer. The Symphonies Nos. 2 and 3 and the Violin Concerto would have similarly had to be spread over 2 cds but the total playing time wouuld have been 101 minutes compared to the 107 minutes on the Lyrita double.

By coupling the Second Symphony with two symphonies which are already availble in excellent performances I think that Lyrita has made a real mistake.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 11:10:14 pm »

Where was this release found?
Report Spam   Logged
northern
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 11:29:51 pm »

Found on Amazon UK, by searching Lyrita, then narrowing choice by release date. As I say, I can't provide a link    
as I can't cut and paste it from my mobile and I have no computer access currently! Strangely, if I type the word that normally comes after the word mobile ,the text alters when posted to 'can't tell you'-anyone know why??
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 03:19:20 am »

Here's the link.  No more (considerably less, in fact) information than Dundonnell has already provided.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Butterworth-Symphonies-Scottish-Symphony-Orchestra/dp/B01DEANDTM?ie=UTF8&keywords=arthur%20butterworth&qid=1459131394&ref_=sr_1_3&s=music&sr=1-3
Report Spam   Logged
Clambert
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 09:07:12 am »

Ooh, that's annoying (still a necessary purchase for no 2, of course, long a favourite); here's hoping that the other works - symphonies especially - will eventually surface, since I can't believe Mr Itter didn't record them...but it might be a long wait. Over the years I've radically revised my view of AB; back in the day I used to think of him as a kind of 2nd-hand Sibelius, now (for all the obvious Sibelius echoes) I hear him very much as his own man, and a tough-minded symphonist up there with the best of them...
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 10:07:44 am »

I have sent an email enquiring about the strange choice of works. I suppose that it is just possible that Richard Itter did not actually tape the Symphony No.3 or the Violin Concerto when they were broadcast.

Symphonies Nos. 6 and 7 are in a different category. No.6 dates from 2006 and No.7 from 2010. The performance of No.6 in St. Petersburg was in 2009. That performance is available on YT. Sadly both were written long after Itter had ceased his recording project.
Report Spam   Logged
northern
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 09:42:18 am »

This can now be purchased on the Musicweb site. Like Colin, I used them for the Wordsworth and Hamilton and the discs arrived a few days after ordering from Wyastone (the producers), so this is a good way (I hope!) of getting your payment as close to the source as you can.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 03:27:51 pm »

This can now be purchased on the Musicweb site. Like Colin, I used them for the Wordsworth and Hamilton and the discs arrived a few days after ordering from Wyastone (the producers), so this is a good way (I hope!) of getting your payment as close to the source as you can.

Not available until June.

I have posted a long message on Musicweb about the strange makeup of the the new release.
Report Spam   Logged
northern
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 08:43:49 am »

I ordered this before Musicweb added the bit 'available June' otherwise I wouldn't have ordered it. I got a reply saying hopefully within the week, or the distributor will contact me. I'm not desperate for this anyway, as the archive and cd recordings are fine. It was mainly to flag up the fact that in the past, Musicweb has been weeks ahead of the 'official' release date.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 03:48:20 pm »

On the other hand, I like to buy things from my local music store to help support them in days when they suffer so much from online competition.
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 06:10:39 pm »

Mine arrived in the post today  ;D ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 03:42:29 pm »

My copy arrived today.

Makes rather a mockery of the scheduled release dates officially announced on Amazon ???

Great to have the Symphony No.2 and-having queried the logic behind the contents of this double cd release-I am happy to concede that Bryden Thomson's performance of the Fourth Symphony in re-mastered stereo sound-makes more of an impact on me than the composer's own reading for Dutton. I have yet to listen to the Symphony No.1-regarding the release of the composer's broadcast performance I am more equivocal.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: