The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:26:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"Servilia" - opera by Rimsky-Korsakov

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Servilia" - opera by Rimsky-Korsakov  (Read 6707 times)
guest224
« on: March 25, 2016, 07:30:54 pm »

I have just read here - that a recording is being prepared of Servilia, the only one of Rimsky-Korsakov's operas that has not been recorded in full.  To date, only Servilia's aria "My Flowers" has been recorded (quite often), plus a couple of other scenes, recorded by Olga Piotrovskaya (as Servilia), Pavel Lisitsian (as Ignacio) and Georgy Nelepp (as Valeri) with the All-Union Radio Orchestra under Onisim Bron (rec 1949).

The text in the youtube link is in Russian but it says:

The Pokrovsky musical theater is preparing the premiere of "Servilia" opera.
From 9 to 19 February in Moscow Chamber Musical Theatre (17  Nikolsky Street) is holding the first series of staged rehearsals of the opera "Servilia," which will premiere on April 15, 2016 and is timed to the anniversary of the coming of musical director of the theater Gennady Rozhdestvensky. February 19 at 17.00 in the lobby of the theater will take place the presentation of the play to the media. The event will be attended by the director Olga Ivanova, conductor Dmitry Kryukov and artist Victor Gerasimenko.

The idea of staging "Servilia" in the Pokrovsky theater belongs Gennady Rozhdestvensky, who is known as an outstanding educator and discoverer of undeservedly forgotten names and works. Together with him on the production work stage director Olga Ivanov, production designer Victor Gerasimenko, a computer graphic artist Daniel Gerasimenko, conductor Dmitry Kryukov, choirmaster Alexey Vereschagin and the head of the children's group Elena Ozerov.

The  little-known opera occupies a special place in the artistic heritage of the famous Russian composer. Quite atypical for Rimsky-Korsakov's theme, era and genre, as well as the unsuccessful premiere of the opera was originally given an unusual status, and as a result it has always stood apart among the many masterpieces of its author. Since "Servilia" still remains the only unrecorded opera by Rimsky-Korsakov, the theatrical premiere will be preceded by a full recording in a studio under the direction of Gennady Rozhdestvensky.

It would be great if the members of this forum who are based in Moscow could let us know where the CDs could be bought!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 07:39:52 pm »

No details known, I'm afraid. 
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:19:04 pm »

No details known, I'm afraid. 

Hi Neil!  Please let us know if you do hear anything!
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 11:12:00 pm »

I will put out some feelers with friends who work there ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Hattoff
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 07:52:43 am »

Melodiya recorded Servilia on vinyl L.P  many years ago which I did have but sold on. I now have a download of it. It's more of an operetta than an opera with a couple of very nice melodies in it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 06:43:39 pm »

Melodiya recorded Servilia on vinyl L.P  many years ago which I did have but sold on. I now have a download of it. It's more of an operetta than an opera with a couple of very nice melodies in it.

That is very interesting to know.  Who are the artists?  Is it a recording you would mind uploading if you have it in electronic format?
Report Spam   Logged
Hattoff
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 09:32:29 am »

The only info is that it is The USSR All-Union Radio & Central Television Grand Symphony Orchestra
Onisim Bron (conductor) the soloists are not named. It lasts just 29 minutes and although there is no speaking it is rather like a musical and very nice. I will upload it later today.
Report Spam   Logged
Hattoff
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 10:24:05 am »

Christopher,
I've given a link to Servilia in Russian and Soviet Music. I hope you enjoy the music.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 07:52:44 pm »

Christopher,
I've given a link to Servilia in Russian and Soviet Music. I hope you enjoy the music.

Thanks Hattoff - this actually is the version which I mentioned above (which I already have) - its a selection of 4 or 5 pieces from the whole opera, which is much longer.  It seems from the youtube announcement that now the whole opera will be recorded.
Report Spam   Logged
Hattoff
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 07:39:44 am »

Christopher
My apologies, I did believe that,that was the complete opera. Thinking about it, the version I had on LP was, if I remember correctly, two records so about eighty minutes of music, I wish I had kept them now. I have a great fondness for Rimsky's operas and look forward to a new recording of Servilia.
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 06:29:25 am »

I hope an opportunity will arise in the near future to hear the full five-act version and incidentally to compare it with The Czar's Bride, another historical (as opposed to folk or fairy tale) Rimsky opera, written just a few before.

Interesting that Stephen Muir's English translation of the libretto to Servilia is available at http://opera.stanford.edu/iu/libretti/servilia.htm
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 10:30:31 am »

I hope an opportunity will arise in the near future to hear the full five-act version a.....

Well, if you read the first posting in this thread you might learn of just such an opportunity....!
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 11:42:53 pm »

I will put out some feelers with friends who work there ;)

Hi Neil - have you heard anything further about this?
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 09:54:08 am »

Unfortunately I've been up to my neck in non-musical matters of late :((  I hope to emerge from all this stuff and find out more about Servilia soon :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 12:43:00 pm »

Unfortunately I've been up to my neck in non-musical matters of late :((  I hope to emerge from all this stuff and find out more about Servilia soon :)

Hi again Neil - just checking in to see if you've heard anything through your network about the release of this?  I believe it was (scheduled to be) recorded in April.  I have no idea how long it can take from a recording to production, marketing and sale of a CD!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: