The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:15:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sir Peter Maxwell Davies: Recent Compositions

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sir Peter Maxwell Davies: Recent Compositions  (Read 397 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2016, 04:17:42 pm »

I am re-posting this here:

"The Three Kings" for soprano, mezzo-soprano, tenor, baritone, chorus and orchestra(1995): first performance London Symphony Orchestra/Richard Hickox, London 1995

Orkney Saga I: "Fifteen keels laid in Norway for Jerusalem-farers" for orchestra (1997): first performance, BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, Proms London 1997

Orkney Saga II: "In Kirkwall, the first red Saint Magnus Stones" for orchestra (1997): first performance, BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, Manchester 1997

"A Reel of Seven Fishermen" for orchestra(1998): first performance San Francisco Symphony Orchestra/the composer, San Francisco 1998

BBC broadcast: BBC Philharmonic Orchestra/John Storgards, 14 March 2016

"Temenos, with Mermaids and Angels" for flute and orchestra(1998): first performance Richard Davis (flute) and the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra/the composer, Dublin 1999

"A Dance on the Hill" for mezzo-soprano and orchestra(2002): first performance Pamela Helen Stephen (mezzo-soprano) and the City of London Sinfonia/Richard Hickox, London 2005
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 07:08:25 pm »

Well, here's the easy one -

"A Reel of Seven Fishermen" for orchestra(1998) - BBC Philharmonic Orchestra/John Storgards

http://www.mediafire.com/download/q827of17phbv9ov/Reel7Fishermen.mp3
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 01:44:51 am »

Many thanks indeed :)

I admit that this was the one which I hoped someone would have recorded since it was so recently broadcast. Very pleased to have it! "A Reel of Seven Fishermen" was one of the composer's most impressive later works.

All the attention in the obituaries of Maxwell Davies I have read have focussed on the early controversial works with almost no comments on the ten symphonies or the later music in general. It has been wonderful to get so many of these later works from You Tube and generous members of this site.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 12:55:03 pm »

I think I can supply "Temenos." Let me check my files and I'll upload if I can find it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: