The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:39:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Composer Catalogues: Orchestral and Choral/Orchestral Music

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Composer Catalogues: Orchestral and Choral/Orchestral Music  (Read 5450 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 01:09:36 am »

Addition:

Alexander Tansman(1897-1986)

(also at composers.gulabin.com)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 03:37:30 am »

Alfred Schnittke(1934-98) will be joining tomorrow ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 12:45:52 am »

To follow the modernist Schnittke is the romantic Hungarian Miklos Rozsa :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 01:18:02 am »

Ah, I only know Rosza for his music for Hitchcock's "Spellbound", a favourite film of mine. It's lovely stuff, though I am not usually interested in film music. I shall be interested to see what else he has produced. Keep up the wonderful work, Colin!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 03:20:56 pm »

Latest addition is the well-recorded American composer John Corigliano(1938)-.
Report Spam   Logged
albert
Level 3

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 10:40:28 pm »

Thanks to Dundonnell, Albion and Christo, and wishes to anybody in the forum.
Returned by some days of holiday I am here. In the meantime I have lost a letter in my name.(Luckily for me I will be again absent a few days in order to attend concerts by Ivan Fischer, Jordi Savall, Garrick Ohlsson and Gianandrea Noseda).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 10:44:33 pm »

I suspected that it was your good self back again to keep me right ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 03:31:45 am »

Boris Lyatoshinsky(1895-1968) and Alexander Tcherepnin(1899-1977) now added.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 06:33:01 am »

Tadeusz Baird(1938-81) and Lev Knipper(1898-1974) have been added.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 02:41:45 am »

Catalogues added for Nino Rota(1911-79), Mieczyslaw Weinberg(1919-96) and Valentin Silvestrov(1937-).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2012, 11:50:22 pm »

Just a reminder  ;D that all of the recent catalogues of the orchestral music of a range of Eastern European and Russian composers and which I have posted on this site have also joined the collection at composers.gulabin.com

By my calculations, there are now 377 catalogues on that site and I hope, very soon, to be indexing them by country as well as the present alphabetical listing by first name.

(Truth be told, I am beginning to run out of names of composers to catalogue ;D ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 02:49:54 pm »

If anyone is wondering about the rhyme or reasoning behind my current choice of composers to catalogue.....it is now being determined by the existence of examples of their music being available for download from this site :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 03:42:27 am »

I am in the process of finally adding a country-by-country Index of the 400+ composers whose orchestral music I have catalogued at composers.gulabin.com

I have done Australia>New Zealand to date, with Norway, Poland and Portugal next up :)

One issue I want to raise yet again is where to put certain composers ::)

Example: I have put Karol Rathaus in the Austrian section for no other reason than that he was born in 1895 in Tarnopol which was then within the Austro-Hungarian Empire but is now in the Ukraine. Rathaus was, however, of Polish origin, worked in Germany, France and Great Britain and finally settled in the USA. He could, therefore, be legitimately described as Polish or indeed American.

We insist that Rachmaninov and Stravinsky remained Russian composers long after they had left Russia for good. Should we not, by the same token therefore, equally insist that Erich Korngold or Ernst Toch remain Austrian composers after they settled in the USA?

Hans Gal and Egon Wellesz-who settled in the U.K. therefore remain Austrian too ;D Tansman and Panufnik remain Polish (despite the fact that Panufnik took British citizenship and became Sir Andrzej) although both abandoned their country of origin.

And...the other issue has already come up regarding "Soviet Composers". Are the Ukrainians or the Georgians and Armenians born in the USSR now to be classified as "Russian" or as belonging to a part of the USSR now independent ??? ???

Any comments or advice would be most welcome :)
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 10:05:23 am »

My two cents.  ;)

In most cases, the solution is rather obvious. "Soviet composers" should be categorized according to the present nationalities, which happen to be former republics too, so in most cases the solution is obvious. Of course there are a few 'Russians' born in Ukraine for example, as e.g. Reinhold Gliere, who should be considered Russian. But even Khatsaturian, who was born in Georgia and made his his career in Moscow, is best understood as an Armenian.

The hardest cases are the ones you mention from the former Habsburg realm, like Karol Rathaus. In his case something like 'Austrian-Polish' is almost unavoidable. Often, one's self-identification would provide the best clue: Chopin wanted to be Polish, so he was; the same applies to Stravinsky, or indeed Julius Röntgen.  ;D
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 12:52:49 pm »

I am perfectly happy with that, Johan :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: