The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:30:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Composer Catalogues: Orchestral and Choral/Orchestral Music

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Composer Catalogues: Orchestral and Choral/Orchestral Music  (Read 5448 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2012, 05:36:56 am »

If you were or still are a member of another music forum you will be aware that I posted catalogues of the Orchestral Music of around 300 composers in the Composer Reference Section of that forum.

Rather than attempt to copy each and every one of these onto this forum......which would be (a) enormously time-consuming and (b) somewhat presumptuous of such a brand new member.....

I have uploaded all the catalogues to

composers.gulabin.com

There you will find all the 'old' catalogues together with new ones for
Daniel Asia, Grazyna Bacewicz, John Harbison, Vincent D'Indy, Laszlo Lajtha, GianCarlo Menotti, Alexander Moyzes, Vitezslav Novak, Otakar Ostrcil, Andrzej Panufnik, Gavrill Popov, Christopher Rouse, Vissarion Shebalin, Maximilian Steinberg and Boris Tchaikovsky.

These were completed over the last fortnight to try to keep my mind off other difficulties ;D

At present the catalogues are in an extended list of pdf files, arranged alphabetically by the initial letter of the composer's first name......but I shall produce a much better Index as soon as I can.

Two further points:

The 'old' catalogues have, I understand, been archived in another place but now from their new location I can both add more catalogues and can amend and correct existing catalogues. They will therefore have a 'new', organic existence.

And, secondly, please, please note that my own interests lie in the fields of orchestral and choral music. My lists do NOT therefore contain chamber music, instrumental music, operas or songs. I apologise now, again, in advance but what you see is what you get from me. If others can add the rest of a composer's musical output then that is just fantastic :) :)  What remains, I think, unique to these lists is that I add-where I can-the timing of each work and whether or not it is or has been issued on cd.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Caostotale
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:29:12 am »

As regards this section of the board, are the topics listed alphabetically? If this is the case, could a moderator rename the existent topics to reflect the following format:

Last Name, First Name (dates) - Worklist, etc....

...and require that further lists follow this guideline. The only alternative might be to segregate the names by nationality. I just feel like things are going to get chaotic once a lot more names start showing up.

I believe this would make the overall board more organized. Just an idea.

EDIT: Either that or we could place some kind of sticky on the top that contains links to all of the composers individual threads.
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 07:44:34 am »

As regards this section of the board, are the topics listed alphabetically? If this is the case, could a moderator rename the existent topics to reflect the following format:

Last Name, First Name (dates) - Worklist, etc....

...and require that further lists follow this guideline. The only alternative might be to segregate the names by nationality.  .  .

A very good idea. I can do that right away - but first: does every one want the names in a single alphabetical list (i.e. all composers that ever lived, regardless of nationality), or would people prefer to see one sub-board for each nationality (e.g. Czech), with all the Czech composers in an alphabetical list within the Czech sub-board?

Actually it doesn't matter much which method is used initially, because it should be easy to change things around once the number of names increases; but it would be nice to have a few pointers as to preferences.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 10:21:15 am »

Well done & much thanks to Mr. Dundonnell for all his efforts with the composer categorisation - I've 'favourited' their new home already ! Glad to see some of the 'new' names on the list

Regarding future organisation of such lists - if it's easily possible, I'd put my 2 pence-worth in favour of a nationality, then alphabetical split.

Many thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 03:52:02 pm »

I agree :)

All the composers from a specific country listed alphabetically by surname. That was how it was done elsewhere(by me, as it happens ;D) but, seriously.....it will be the easiest way of finding a particular composer's worklist.

BTW I have updated and added my catalogues for Alun Hoddinott and John McCabe   and will do so also for Daniel Jones later (composers.gulabin.com)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:16:03 pm »

Daniel Jones and Peteris Barisons are now updated :)

Many thanks to Latvian for providing so much of Barisons' output :)

Those new to the catalogues will find that almost all of the music of Daniel Jones is housed in the British Music Archive :) :)

(Incidentally....an * in the catalogues indicates that a private recording of the piece is available either in the British Archive or on application ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 02:38:22 am »

As will be seen I have now made a start on a top-level categorization, with one board for each nationality, in alphabetical order. Of course not all nationalities are there yet, but I will expand it soon. If you don't see the nationality you want, just post a catalogue in the main board, and I will move it to a new nationality section.

Now I have one question: would people prefer to see separate sections for English Composers, Scottish Composers, Welsh Composers, and Irish Composers? Or would they rather have just one section entitled British and Irish Composers?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 03:24:18 am »

Given that Albion's Catalogue within the Downloads Section is an Archive of British and Irish Music would it not be sensible to just have the one section ???

In any case, categorising particular composers by nationality within the British Isles can get very tricky ;D ;D

Iain Hamilton was Scottish in the sense that he was born in Glasgow but he was educated in London and spent his life living in England and the USA. William Wordsworth was English but was educated privately in Scotland and moved to live in the Hghlands for most of his adut life.

Messy.......... ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 04:22:22 am »

I have just this minute added a catalogue for

Jan Cikker(Slovakia, 1911-89).

It can be found at composers.gulabin.com

I have no problem if this catalogue is cross-posted into the Czech Composers section here :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 06:08:39 pm »

Could I replicate a similar plea from John(Albion)....

that someone who is still a member of 'Unsung Composers' let the Italian member alberto know that my catalogues are alive and well ???

Alberto used to go through each and every one with the proverbial fine toothcomb to identify rare cd recordings of pieces of which I was not aware :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 10:52:42 pm »

Now also added that very fine Russian composer Boris Tishchenko(1939-2010).
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 10:48:41 am »

Could I replicate a similar plea from John(Albion).... that someone who is still a member of 'Unsung Composers' let the Italian member alberto know that my catalogues are alive and well ???

Done. Still waiting for his response.  :)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 09:12:27 pm »

I have added a Catalogue for the Orchestral and Choral-Orchestral Music of the American composer Richard Danielpour.

(also now at composers.gulabin.com)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 02:40:54 am »

New addition to composers.gulabin.com

Giya Kancheli(1935-)

Kancheli is a Georgian and there is no sub-section for Georgians on here. If one ic created then I shall happily copy my catalogue into that section.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 12:26:15 am »

Addition:

Tikhon Khrennikov(1913-2007)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: