The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:57:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sir Peter Maxwell Davies (1934-2016): RIP

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sir Peter Maxwell Davies (1934-2016): RIP  (Read 861 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2016, 04:25:04 pm »

It comes as no great surprise but still very sad to hear that Sir Peter Maxwell Davies has died at the age of 81. There will be fulsome tributes  in the media in the days to come and they will be well merited.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Alex Bozman
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 08:15:49 pm »

As you say, while Sir Peter's passing appeared inevitable, it's no less sad. It will be interesting to see how posterity views him, one of the great British composers of the last 50 years +, but in some ways quite an isolated figure. Personally, I'm much less familiar with his output of the last couple of decades, something to try and rectify. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 05:43:54 am by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 11:46:12 am »

Alongside his mainstream work, PMD's works for children, and involving children in performance, have been an incalculable contribution to musical culture.

Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 02:40:48 pm »

Alongside his mainstream work, PMD's works for children, and involving children in performance, have been an incalculable contribution to musical culture.
They have indeed - and quite how he ever found time to write as much as he did I really do not know!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 02:58:35 pm »

They have indeed - and quite how he ever found time to write as much as he did I really do not know!

In the last 20 years of his life Maxwell Davies wrote 50 works involving the orchestra; 24 of these are over 20 minutes in duration; of the 24 only 4 have made it to cd. Yet the sad irony is that much of the music of these last twenty years is more "accessible" than the earlier music.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:31:02 pm »

In the last 20 years of his life Maxwell Davies wrote 50 works involving the orchestra; 24 of these are over 20 minutes in duration; of the 24 only 4 have made it to cd. Yet the sad irony is that much of the music of these last twenty years is more "accessible" than the earlier music.
Even with a steady stream of Naxos releases?   I really enjoy some of them.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 10:44:32 pm »

Even with a steady stream of Naxos releases?   I really enjoy some of them.

The most recent work on any Naxos cd is "Maxwell's Reel, with Northern Lights" of 1998, opus 191. The Symphony No.10 of 2013 is opus 327.

The works which most intrigue me (because I have never heard them) are the Orkney Sagas Nos. I-V (1997-2000), Tone Poem "Roma Amor" (1998, dedicated to Petrassi), the Horn Concerto (1999, although it got bad reviews), "Canticum Canticorum" (2001, a 50 minute oratorio) and "Das Rauschende der Farbe" for orchestra(2006).
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 01:00:55 am »

The works which most intrigue me (because I have never heard them) are the Orkney Sagas Nos. I-V (1997-2000), Tone Poem "Roma Amor" (1998, dedicated to Petrassi), the Horn Concerto (1999, although it got bad reviews), "Canticum Canticorum" (2001, a 50 minute oratorio) and "Das Rauschende der Farbe" for orchestra(2006).

With compliments!  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 01:43:56 am »

With compliments!  ;D

Superb! Thank you so much :)

(Btw I should have written "Orkney Sagas I-III and V" since there is no IV. Fourteen were originally planned, each subtitled after banners displayed at the St.Magnus Festival in Kirkwall, Orkney  in 1998 with captions by the Orcadian poet and friend of the composer, George Mackay Brown. Only three pieces were ever completed.)
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 07:03:32 pm »

I corrected the birthdate to 1934 in the downloads section. Sorry, Alastair!
Perhaps you could delete your remark there because the section is for downloads only.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 07:49:05 pm »

I corrected the birthdate to 1934 in the downloads section. Sorry, Alastair!
Alistair, actually - but no need to apologise!

Perhaps you could delete your remark there because the section is for downloads only.
Done!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 03:39:09 am »

.....also

"The Three Kings" for soprano, mezzo-soprano, tenor, baritone, chorus and orchestra(1995): first performance London Symphony Orchestra/Richard Hickox, London 1995

"A Reel of Seven Fishermen" for orchestra(1998): first performance San Francisco Symphony Orchestra/the composer, San Francisco 1998

(which I have just discovered-too late-was performed and broadcast by the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra/John Storgards on 14 March this year!)

"Temenos, with Mermaids and Angels" for flute and orchestra(1998): first performance Richard Davis (flute) and the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra/the composer, Dublin 1999

"A Dance on the Hill" for mezzo-soprano and orchestra(2002): first performance Pamela Helen Stephen (mezzo-soprano) and the City of London Sinfonia/Richard Hickox, London 2005

(no harm in me trying ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
northern
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 08:33:56 am »

Massive thanks to British composer for the large scale orchestral works. Like Alex, I lost my familiarity with PMD's work in the late 90s when the Collins cds ended. These latest uploads, together with the youtube rareclassix channel uploads have helped fill in the gap.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: