The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:39:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Romanian Music

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Romanian Music  (Read 4632 times)
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 01:22:38 pm »

Tartini, the recording Atsushi uploaded is definitely in F Major, so indeed, both Dumitrescu brothers seem to chosen F Major as key of their (first) symphony. I don't know your source, but of course, it is possible slight errors occur. (For example, as far as I know, Romanians use fixed do solmization for key signatures (i.e. F Major is Fa Major), which might lead to misunderstandings.)
Report Spam   Logged
Tartini
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 02:14:09 pm »

Hello Holger! I just wanted to be absolutely sure that it was Gheorghes, first symphony. The source was an otherwise reliable, Swedish dictionary, Sohlmans. But they can of course be wrong sometimes. Thanks for getting it resolved!
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 01:50:59 am »

Dear MVS!  I am really interested in the Bentoiu symphony set.  I have his 5th and realylike it.  Have you heard any of the others?  Before I spend $65 American on it, I'd like to know something about the first 4 symphonies as I assume 6-8 might be a bit modern.  Anything you can say would be a help!!
Thanks, Malito
Report Spam   Logged
MVS
Level 2

Times thanked: 12

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 02:54:48 am »

Hey Malito,

Well, they are hard to describe.  The first is more traditional as I remember, and the 6th and 7th are somewhat more "modern" than the 5th (which is knock-out!) but not nearly as hermetic as, say, Schnittke's 7th and 8th symphonies.  All that I've heard are really substantial works that repay repeated listenings.  I was really excited to see that the whole set was available - (maybe too excited as the actual price is more like $75 American - and I ordered it anyway).  Here's a description of the 7th from the premiere:

The Seventh Symphony, "Volumes"
by Viorel Cosma (b. 1927)
Pascal Bentoiu
Performed in premiere in Bucharest

Undoubtedly, composer Pascal Bentoiu must be regarded at present as one of the most outstanding symphonists of the Romanian musical school of the 20th century. The recent first performance in Bucharest of Symphony No. 7, Volumes, under the baton of Horia Andreescu, places the composer of the opera Hamlet among the most profound contemporary Romanian musicians of the genre. It is not the seven symphonies of so far that make Pascal Bentoiu stand out but above all his particular thinking, concept, spirit, and sonorous expression that puts an unmistakable seal on his orchestral cycle. If we take into account the tomes of musical aesthetics and analysis (to quote only the splendid book issued in 1984 by Minerva Publishing House, Enescu Masterpieces, where sound ideas find materialization in a written text) then we can predicate that Pascal Bentoiu is a philosopher of the art of sounds.
   Dedicated to the conductor of the Banat Philharmonic of Timisoara, Remus Georgescu, Symphony No. 7 tries to approach the sound material in juxtaposed blocs, in volumes of various densities, which the author regards symmetrically, as rigorously organized, and unitary in point of style. One gets the feeling that, riding high up in a plane or a chopper, one crosses a city splendidly devised by an architect of blocks built in brick, glass, and stone. The rigorous, elegant, and distinct  structures endow the scenery with the arcane charm of volumes. Written in 1983 (the first part of the score bears the mention March 20, 1986, and the last section May 9, 1986,) Symphony No. 9 op. 29 is concise (25 min.), and features an imposing sound idiom, exquisitely moderate. The author’s major desert consists of keeping within the universe of substantive music, undistracted by avant-garde or passing fads.
   The symphonic orchestra of the Romanian Radio-Television under the baton of Horia Andreescu endeavored to offer the audience a warm, tensional rendering, fully responsible to the Romanian heritage. The robust vision of Horia Andreescu, with powerful dramatic contracts and rapid changes of rhythms turned the first performance of Pascal Bentoiu’s Symphony No. 7 intro a genuine artistic event.

I was going to include this with my upload of the seventh, even though my performance is not the one described above.   - but I'll have to wait to see if the CD contains this performance or my version labeled by the indifferent and sloppy tape collector that I got it from (who was NOT Karl Miller or Mike Herman) as "Georgescu."  I assume that's Remus, but he didn't say.

Incidentally, if you decide to order the set, don't be surprised if you get an immediate email from your bank asking about a suspicious purchase on your credit card!  I had to call and explain that I really did shell out a chunk of money to an obscure Romanian CD shop.   :D

Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 02:14:20 am »

Hi!

Thanks so much for the lengthy answer to my question.  I am very interested in the set of the Bentoiu symphonies and will try to get it soon.  I have always been a big fan of Romanian symphonic music and I happen to love sets of symphonies by one composer in one box set.  I thank you so much for this information and I have the CD shop in Romania in my favorites so I can access it faster.  Many thanks again !  Malito
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 12:00:18 pm »

Mr. A.S. - some beautiful music again, thanks; excuse me for nit-picking: Castaldi comes out as Sym. 1 (1916), & Grigoriu 'Suita Teatrala' comes up as the Symphonic Variations as in the upload beneath it.

Sorry..seems so churlish after all your efforts, but sure you'd wish to have it right !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
A.S
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 01:21:25 pm »

Mr. A.S. - some beautiful music again, thanks; excuse me for nit-picking: Castaldi comes out as Sym. 1 (1916), & Grigoriu 'Suita Teatrala' comes up as the Symphonic Variations as in the upload beneath it.

Sorry..seems so churlish after all your efforts, but sure you'd wish to have it right !

Oops! Sorry about confusing :P  I modified my uploads.
  About Castaldi, it was my mistook. Correct is second symphony.  Thanks for your notice, cjvinthechair ;)
Report Spam   Logged
sensemayya
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 09:08:49 pm »

Hi!Great Romanian share!The Berger music is known to those on the UC.Dragoi's suite is not "viata la tara" but "suita tătară pentru orchestră de cameră" based on 18 tatar songs.

J
Report Spam   Logged
MVS
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 11:05:48 pm »

Oh, Atsushi!

What an amazing, and meaty, set of uploads to the Romanian and Slovak sites!  There are some really interesting works here, and all in great sound!  You've made my day- week - month!  THANKS, friend!

Mark
Report Spam   Logged
A.S
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 01:02:29 pm »

Thanks for correct information , sensemayya :) I modified my upload.
  I'm very glad to know you are enjoying music, sensemayya and Mark. I will try to record future broadcast ;D
Report Spam   Logged
fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 10:58:37 pm »

Thanks, Elroel, for the delightful "The Pocket Garden" by Celibidache.
Report Spam   Logged
MVS
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 02:57:12 am »

They came!  Almost 2 months to the day from the order date:

The 8 Symphonies of Pascal Bentoiu + “Eminiesciana”  III Opus 23 (Concerto for Orchestra)

Electrecord CD Set EDC 972-976

CD 1:  Symphony No. 1 Cluj Philharmonic  Orchestra/Erich Bergel (1968)
   Symphony No. 2 Radio Symphony Orchestra/Conta (live – 1975)

CD 2:  Symphony No. 3 “G. Enescu” Philharmonic/Cristescu (live – 1978)
   Symphony No. 4  Radio Symphony Orchestra/Conta (live – 1979)

CD 3:  Symphony No. 5 Radio Symphony Orchestra/Popescu (1983)
   Symphony No. 6 “Colors” Cluj Philharmonic Orchestra/Mandeal (1987)

CD 4:  Symphony No. 7 “Volumes”  Timisoara Philharmonic Orchestra/Remus Georgescu (1987)
   “Eminesciana” III (Concerto for Orchestra)  Opus 23 Radio Symphony Orchestra/Conta

CD 5:  Symphony No. 8 “Imagini” 
National Radio Orchestra/Andreescu
Irinia Iordachescu – soloist

I haven’t had a chance to listen to any of these but will tomorrow!
(February 19, 2013)
Now that I have lived with these works for quite a while, I would heartily recommend this CD set to anyone who like meaty, original, but not at all hermetic 20th-century symphonies.  I find #4, 5, 7, and #8 and Eminesciana III to be quite impressive.  I can't recall ever hearing anything quite like the first movement of #4!  The set is a bit costly, but worth the investment  - at least it was for me.
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 06:09:10 am »

Thank you very  much for interesting thread.
I am reading through posts here. I found and listened to LIANA ALEXANDRA: Symphony No. 9 - JERUSALEM

and her 12 variations.

Now I interested enough to listen to downloads. But it is amazing how much music is available on youtube!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 06:14:09 pm »

Yes there is a lot to be found, but you have to be careful, because so far quite a number of works seem to be incomplete!
Many posted Yoube works are not free to upload to AMF for copyright reasons.

BTW the Aleandra Variations are great!

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 12:39:58 am »

Many thanks to Atsushi for his upload of Andricu's Sinfonietta no. 1 as well as the other intriguing pieces he has uploaded today :)

Andricu is a composer whom I am always grateful to hear more of :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: