The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:52:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Romanian Music

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Romanian Music  (Read 4625 times)
kyjo
« on: August 17, 2012, 05:03:57 am »

We already have a quite substantial Romanian downloads section here, so I thought I'd start a thread in which to discuss ;D! Thank you very much, A.S. and Sicmu, for your recent uploads. IMO, the music of Romania and other Balkan countries is undeservedly neglected; Romanian classical music (there is a surprisingly large lot of it) often seems to be represented by just one piece, the Romanian Rhapsody no. 1 by Ensecu (but Enescu's output is still pretty unsung, besides this piece) >:(. Andricu is a composer whose music I have always wanted to hear (he has quite a sizeable catalogue), so double thanks for that Poem, A.S. ;D!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tartini
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 02:08:36 pm »

Certainly agree that the music from balkan is undeservedly neglected. But I just want to ensure, that the symphony no1, assigned to Gheorghe Dumitrescu , uploaded by A.S. (thank you! btw), a lovely piece.), is by Gheorghe and not by his brother, Ion Dumitrescu. Since his (Ion's) first symphony from 1948, is in F major. Gheorghe's first from 1945, is in A major. Is then, the uploaded symphony, Gheorghe Dumitrescu's first in A major? (not, F major).
Report Spam   Logged
sensemayya
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:20:52 pm »

Ioana Ostafi is solo cello in Andricu.She lives today in Frankfurt an Mein.
Report Spam   Logged
MVS
Level 2

Times thanked: 12

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 09:29:37 pm »

I've uploaded some Romanian works from Electrecord LP's.  As far as I know, none have been, or are, available on CD.  There are two versions of the "Retezat Mountains" suite by Ion Dumitrescu:  a wonderful performance by Popescu on an old mono record, and a newer stereo version by Conta that I find to be unbearable. Listen to the Popescu version first to hear what a fine music is in the score before wallowing in Conta's soupy, overblown version. 
I'll upload some more obscure Romanian works when I get a chance. 
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 02:29:07 pm »

When I download the music kindly offered by our contributors I create a folder for every composer and give their date of birth and death. I save the music by it’s title and date of composition. Therefore I have to do a lot of work in some cases. ;)
Perhaps other members would like to profit from my recent research on the last batch of uploads of Romanian music by MVS.

It has often been very difficult to find information about the composers.
Some have not even a Romanian wikipedia entry.
Moreover Romania doesn’t have a Music Information Centre. (http://www.iamic.net/members-web-sites/)

I don’t speak nor read Romanian but I will give an occasional link in case I couldn’t trace a substantial English source.
Of course, a great source is Michael Herman’s discography of EAST-CENTRAL EUROPEAN AND BALKAN SYMPHONIES which gives basic information on even the rarest figure.
http://www.musicweb-international.com/Balkan_discography/ECE_Balkan_Symphonies1.htm

Liana Alexandra (1947-2011)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liana_Alexandra
Her husband, composer Serban Nichifor, has written about her:
http://ro.scribd.com/doc/58735712/LIANA-ALEXANDRA-Confessions-About-Her-Music-Appendix-2011
According to the worklist applied to this document the Symphony No. 3 was written from 1982-83.

Vasile Herman (1929-2010)
There is not even a Romanian wikipedia page.
Michael Herman has to update his entry on Vasile Herman; his namesake has passed away two years ago.

Ion Dumitrescu (1913-1996)
The German wikipedia page is the most comprehensive. However, it dates the Symphony No. 1 to 1955 instead of 1948. The Symphonic Prelude is dated 1952, the Concerto for strings 1961.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_Dumitrescu_(Komponist)

Zoltan Aládár (1929-1978)
Only this Esperanto wikipedia page http://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alad%C3%A1r_Zolt%C3%A1n
Michael Herman gives 1972 as date of Symphony No. 2.

Mihail Jora (1891-1971)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mihail_Jora

Nicolae Beloiu (1927-2003)
Here’s a substantial Romanian site, though not quite up to date.
http://www.crispedia.ro/Nicolae_Beloiu

Sigismund Toduţă (1908-1991) is certainly the most prominent – and the only one whose music I have heard before. He has his own website.
http://www.sigismundtoduta.org/en/home_en.php

A lot of time has gone into this and I must confess that Romanian music is not even a favourite of mine.
Most likely I will never listen to any of the works for mere lack of time.  ;D

Report Spam   Logged
fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 05:12:25 pm »

I, for one, really appreciate your efforts. When I prepare liner notes or jewel box inserts I always like to include birth and death dates and the date of composition. Some uploaders are very good at supplying this information and others neglect it. Of course, I am thrilled just to get the music but a little more effort by the poster would make it so much better.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 05:54:14 pm »

Agreed! If someone uploads a rare piece of music I've been wanting to hear for years it would be somewhat churlish of me to nit pick about little things like that!! But a bit of info is rather nice & sort of sets you up for what you're about to hear. Also,I must admit I am a bit of a stickler for nuggets of information about recordings. I can't just bung 'em on! I NEED to know something about them!
Sad,isn't it?!! ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
MVS
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 06:17:57 pm »

This is much appreciated!  I can only provide what the notes on the back of the records suggest... such as the date of Ion's first symphony being 1948,  and the dates for the other works that I have listed.  I always assume that whoever the liner notes had checked his material.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 08:46:56 am »

First, many thanks for all your Romanian uploads, MVS. I had some of them but not all. I was glad to pick up a copy of Ion Dumitrescu's Concerto for Strings this way as I was still in search of it.

Thanks for pointing out some further information, britishcomposer. Some annotations: I don't know where the German Wikipedia page on Dumitrescu got the information from, but I don't think it's too reliable (several other sources, among them MGG and New Grove, differ from it.) Dumitrescu got a state award for his F Major Symphony in 1949, so 1955 cannot be the date of composition - I think 1948 is quite right. I am pretty sure it remained his only symphony - the German wikipedia is again the only source claiming the existence of a second one, but MGG say he had quit composing in the 1960s. The Concerto for Strings should be from 1956. It is based on his String Quartet he wrote in 1949.

Regarding Aladár Zoltán, it must be emphasized that the family name of this composer is really Zoltán, though it may sound strange. This often seems to be a matter of confusion, however, since Zoltán sounds more natural as a first name than Aladár to our ears (but for example, there is also a Slovak violinist whose name is Aladár Mozi).
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 12:21:46 pm »

Thank you Holger for rectifying a few dates! I value your expertise very much! :)
I just wanted to give a few sources and stimulate further research.
Of course your are right, wikipedia is not always reliable. Unfortunately I haven't access to MGG or Grove very often
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »

No problem of course, britishcomposer! :) In general, I am always in favour of doing further research, trying to find out more about a composer and his works.

Regarding the Dumitrescu brothers, it's quite an interesting topic. Ion, born in 1913, enjoyed great popularity in the 1950s as it seems. Quite a number of his pieces have been recorded, and I also uploaded his Suite for Orchestra No. 3 on UC. What I enjoy about his music is the way how he deals with folklore: it's not about relying on standard formulas, but he frequently finds very interesting and personal solutions which make his music charming, attractive and a pleasant listen. He was later busy as chairman of the Romanian Composers Union and composition teacher, however he quit composing himself in the 1960s. I think he liked to paint instead in later years.

His younger brother Gheorghe, born in 1914, was quite the contrary on Ion in terms of the scope of his creative output: a very prolific composer, his opus list almost reaches 200 works, among them 13 symphonies. His Symphony No. 1 (whose key is definitely F Major, to refer to Tartini's question above) has been shared here, and on UC, I posted his Symphony No. 3, which definitely shows a creative development if we compare it to No. 1. I like its more restrained manner. Later works must be still different - the titles suggest a more philosophical approach. A pity we cannot have more.

The two Dumitrescu brothers both died in 1996.
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 01:40:20 pm »

You have a talent for making one curious about the music, Holger!  :)
Now I think I will listen to the Dumitrescu brothers sometime...
Report Spam   Logged
MVS
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 04:58:14 pm »

I was preparing to upload Bentoiu's Syms. 1,6, and 7 when I ran across a listing for a 5-CD set of all his symphonies (1-8) here:

http://www.cdandlp.com/item/2/0-1403-0-1-0/115296627/rom-contemporary-pascal-bentoiu-compositions-symphonies-no.-1-to-no.-8.html

I'm sure most of you already know about this set, but it was news to me.  I have ordered it.  I'll let you know...
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 08:47:30 pm »

I had better revise my Bentoiu catalogue then ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Tartini
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 12:33:43 pm »

It may not have any great significance, but I'm still confused regarding the Dumitrescu brothers first symphony. So both the brothers first symphony is in F-Major? I have a source thats says Gheorghe's first symphony is in A-Major. (That's what made me wonder if there might have been a confusion of the brothers.)
 :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: