The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:39:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Marcel Landowski (1915-99)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marcel Landowski (1915-99)  (Read 803 times)
northern
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2016, 03:14:37 pm »

I've waited a while to watch for new recordings/ youtube uploads of Landowski. There is a 9 disc set of his music, which, if you take out an opera and other large scale (duration) works, is hardly a complete picture. Of his five symphonies, four are on a double erato cd (also in the box set) and all five are on youtube, but together with a couple of other works, he seems curiously very under-represented in all formats. The Erato recordings are old now, and his reputation may be waning with them. Does anyone know why, or is it the usual neglect many composers go through after death. Of course, some members may be able to rectify his absence from the usual listening/upload sites! I can't say he's up there with my favourites, but surely he must be regarded as a major French composer, with a clear lineage from Honegger, and deserves better current access/'airing'.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 03:26:22 pm »

Thoroughly agree! My catalogue may or may not be somewhat out of date but it does show a lot of unrecorded compositions,

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,4741.msg24003.html#msg24003

Part of the trouble would appear to be that, apart from Timpani, I know of no French record label releasing French music to match Dutton, Lyrita etc. in British music and Timpani does not release many cds per year. Landowski, I suspect, suffered the same sort of eclipse as other French composers of his ilk at the hands of the Boulez avant-garde. Dutilleux has enjoyed something of a renaissance but Landowski seems increasingly forgotten.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 02:20:01 pm »

I have always been an admirer of Landowski. Such a strong musical personality. When I first discovered his music in the 1970s it was virtually impossible to hear anything of his beyond a couple of concerti. At least now one can hear the symphonies. But a great shame he is so neglected.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 08:47:11 pm »

Landowski's music has appealed to me for many years now. The 9-CD Erato set is splendid, but, as mentioned above, comprised of older recordings.

I suspect that Landowski was never one of the most highly regarded French composers of his time, and much of his influence stemmed from his high position in the French governmental musical bureaucracy. In the sixteen years since his passing, his musical star has very much waned, with very few new recordings of his music.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:29:51 pm »

IMHO also Sauguet,Tailleiferre,Tony Aubin and Louis Durey are underrated.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 09:00:59 am »

Aubin I don't know at all, and Durey but slightly, but I think Landowski is much more unfairly neglected than Sauguet or Tailleiferre. Sauguet's music is interesting at first hearing, but I don't find it has lasting power.
Report Spam   Logged
Alex Bozman
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 07:12:36 pm »

Henri Barraud is another in the neglected category from this era, though did find the First Symphony, which I'd not heard before, on youtube.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 12:13:01 am »

Aubin I don't know at all, and Durey but slightly, but I think Landowski is much more unfairly neglected than Sauguet or Tailleiferre. Sauguet's music is interesting at first hearing, but I don't find it has lasting power.
Dear Gauk
You send me partially OT

Best

P.S.
They were connected 
for his ties with  "Les Six"
http://www.mnl-paris.com/web/association/marcel_landowski/
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 11:50:22 am »

Thanks for the link to Aubin's 1st symphony - very attractive music.

While we are on the subject, two REALLY neglected composers who should not be: Louis Thirion and André Gedalge. Any Googling of "Louis Thirion" turns up a good deal about his grandson? (a science fiction novelist) and little about the composer, though I notice the situation has improved since I last checked a year or two ago. Most of his MSS were sadly destroyed by fire in WW1, and he gave up composition after the death of his wife in 1920.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 08:10:18 pm »

Interesting to see from Toby the picture of the 10" LP with Tony Aubin's Péril, I had put it up long ago but the link is gone, so I will put the link back up. Maître Aubin's wife Francine was (is?) also a composer--his student--and I think the pieces I have of hers were on YouTube. Best, Jim
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 12:38:11 am »

https://www.google.it/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=28&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiz7MuZpajLAhUMJ5oKHaLcCS84FBAWCEwwBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fhalshs.archives-ouvertes.fr%2Fhalshs-00382630%2Fdocument&usg=AFQjCNGXX3CywBLPenmoEBPcyRayfcyDcg
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: