The Art-Music Forum
April 19, 2019, 08:11:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Grace Williams - Missa Cambrensis

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grace Williams - Missa Cambrensis  (Read 1274 times)
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2019, 05:27:34 pm »

I enquired last night of someone in a position to know about these things.
The legal position is that the BBC cannot release the performance for commercial sale without the consent of the performers. If one soloist has refused his agreement because of dissatisfaction with his performance then that is it....full stop!
Even if,every one else,involved in the performance,is happy with it?!! If they were?!! As they say,in Wales! Duw,Duw!! Huh Sad
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2019, 06:36:24 pm »

I enquired last night of someone in a position to know about these things.
The legal position is that the BBC cannot release the performance for commercial sale without the consent of the performers. If one soloist has refused his agreement because of dissatisfaction with his performance then that is it....full stop!
Even if,every one else,involved in the performance,is happy with it?!! If they were?!! As they say,in Wales! Duw,Duw!! Huh Sad
Oh,well! I've got the download,now! Musn't gwumble!! Roll Eyes Grin Incidentally,I enjoyed the Lyrita cd,of Mathias' This Worlde's Joie,so much;I bought a secondhand cd,of the old Chandos cd,of his Lux Aeterna,on ebay,this afternoon! Maybe,Daniel Jones,St Peter (which we,also,have here) could be another contendor,for a future Lyrita issue?! And then,of course,there are some choral works by Morfydd Owen,who is currently (deservedly,imo) receiving some,renewed,interest. It would make a change from Karl Jenkins,anyway!! Roll Eyes Grin But I musn't jump the gun!! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 5

Times thanked: 45

Henry Hugo Pierson (1815-1873)

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2019, 09:09:20 pm »

I can't help but return to the non-release of this significant work on the Lyrita (or any other) label. The performance is strong and the vanity of a soloist should not deny all the other performers a chance to showcase their great ability. There is nothing in the broadcast that comes across as anything other than a great tribute to Grace Williams...

Angry
Report Spam   Logged

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 129

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 10:14:24 am »

Can we be quite clear about this please! What Anthony Smith of Lyrita said in his lengthy reply to my post on the Musicweb message board and copied in full in our Lyrita thread here is that the company and the BBC decided that the Grace Williams was "unreleasable". He gave no reasons for that decision.
It was MY speculation that the difficulties the particular soloist in question experienced during the live performance which had led to the decision and that he MAY have refused permission for the release. I DO NOT know that for a fact! The difficulties that night were commented on by some and were obviously real. Whether they are the reason for non-release I do not know.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 5

Times thanked: 45

Henry Hugo Pierson (1815-1873)

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2019, 01:13:44 pm »

Point taken, and I apologise for my assumption regarding the reason why a commercial release has been kyboshed: unfortunately, the wider listening public and the artists involved in the rendition will thereby probably never have access to what may well be the only modern large-scale professional performance of the work to come our way. Personally, I think that any shortcomings manifest in the broadcast should not override the significance of this fact. Is something better than nothing...?

Huh
Report Spam   Logged

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 129

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2019, 03:14:50 pm »

Oh I totally agree with you there! Anyone can write to Lyrita to ask for a change of heart but since it appears to have been a decision taken in agreement with the BBC it is exceedingly unlikely to be reversed.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: