The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:35:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Grace Williams - Missa Cambrensis

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grace Williams - Missa Cambrensis  (Read 3416 times)
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 10:10:03 am »

Thank you for that wonderful news.
Report Spam   Logged
Hattoff
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 07:58:36 am »

Yes, good news indeed. The off air recording is badly marred by the tenor frequently not hitting his notes, I assume he had a cold and sore throat. I think it is a marvellous work and look forward to a good recording.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 06:53:14 pm »

"Badly marred"? Of course I don't know what notes the tenor missed but I admired his determination not to let the performance be canceled, by their applause the audience obviously pleased not only his performance but his grit, and since we got to hear the lovely piece for the first time we are lucky. Wait for a studio recording if you wish, in the meantime I will listen to this performance happily.
Report Spam   Logged
Mountain Goat
Level 1

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 07:50:42 pm »

According to this month's Gramophone, this performance was recorded by Lyrita for release in August this year

Great news! I was lucky enough to be in the hall for this concert, it was quite an experience. Such a major work needs to be on CD.

Yes, good news indeed. The off air recording is badly marred by the tenor frequently not hitting his notes, I assume he had a cold and sore throat. I think it is a marvellous work and look forward to a good recording.

Do you mean the bass, who had laryngitis? (an announcement was made to that effect before the performance)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 11:19:27 pm »

According to this month's Gramophone, this performance was recorded by Lyrita for release in August this year

It beggars belief that the BBC and Lyrita regard this broadcast performance as "un-releasable"... on what grounds?

:o
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 01:25:03 pm »

It beggars belief that the BBC and Lyrita regard this broadcast performance as "un-releasable"... on what grounds?

I think that the situation may well be that the soloist who experienced difficulties during the performance may have refused permission for the recording to be released. If you recall Brian Rayner Cook refused permission for the Marco Polo recording of Havergal Brian's Symphony No.5 "Wine of Summer" to be released because of his dissatisfaction with his own performance.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 02:46:39 pm »

Whilst it may be the case that a particular soloist has balked at the idea of commercial release, I find nothing in the performance that in any way diminishes the grandeur and beauty of Williams' setting. We are highly unlikely to get another chance to hear it sung (especially by the chorus) or played so well...

:(
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 03:29:48 pm »

In which case we shall simply have to enjoy what we have- the off-air recording.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 03:54:00 pm »

In which case we shall simply have to enjoy what we have- the off-air recording.

Indeed, highly enjoyable and moving it is! This highlights once again the crucial role that off-air recordings play in allowing one to get to know a work that may never be commercially released: few, if any, would be able to grasp a work of this scale on the provision of a sole un-repeated broadcast. It needs and deserves repeated listening...

:)
Report Spam   Logged

Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 10:45:39 pm »

I somehow seem to have lost my recording of the Missa Cambrensis and I can't now find the link in the archive to download it again. Can anyone help me, please?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 12:25:32 am »

I somehow seem to have lost my recording of the Missa Cambrensis and I can't now find the link in the archive to download it again. Can anyone help me, please?

I have re-uploaded the Missa Cambrensis for you, Gareth. I presume that you have all the details of performers?
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 10:49:16 am »

Thank you very much indeed. Yes, I do have details of the performers.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2019, 01:15:17 pm »

I've checked and the link is still there. I still cannot believe that this performance is deemed unworthy of commercial release.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 01:21:56 pm »

There was quite a bit on the web,at the time (and here,in Wales) & how the (former) Archbishop of Wales,Rowan Williams,was taking part. (And it get's a good review here!) All the more perplexing,that it should be canned! ??? Especially,if these are the forces assembled,for the recording?! I have been enjoying some Welsh composers recently (That Lyrita cd of William Mathias This Worlde's Joie,is grrrreeeat!! :)) but I ,must admit,I haven't heard this yet! Thank you for the re-upload. I have downloaded it,now.....and Ethel Smyth's,rather enjoyable (I seem to remember?) Mass.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/mar/02/missa-cambrensis-review-grace-williams-bbcnow
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2019, 03:03:39 pm »

I enquired last night of someone in a position to know about these things.
The legal position is that the BBC cannot release the performance for commercial sale without the consent of the performers. If one soloist has refused his agreement because of dissatisfaction with his performance then that is it....full stop!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: