The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:32:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Grace Williams - Missa Cambrensis

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grace Williams - Missa Cambrensis  (Read 3408 times)
northern
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:14:26 am »

Thanks for the posting of the work.  I have one too as a backup, and guess I had 28 days of iplayer had it gone wrong.

Well, what I first understood to be a 25 minute mass grew into a work with sections of the mass interspersed with narration and poetry, but I wasn’t sure if the poetry was sung or narrated. What we heard was quite different, substantially longer,  very powerful, and successful I think in moving away from the mass to the interlude and narration over orchestra, which must take a lot of practice.

I only read about the Vernon Watkins connection (my post above) in relation to this broadcast but despite searching joint names, nothing now comes up, although what does come up, as one would expect, is that they, and Daniel Jones, were friends, and she had earlier set a Watkins’ poem. It seems that the Watkins link to the mass was wrong. Apologies (yet again!).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: