The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:23:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New from Lyrita in April: Wordsworth and Milner

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New from Lyrita in April: Wordsworth and Milner  (Read 1845 times)
guest145
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 04:57:59 pm »

So... I listened to the opening minute or so of both performances, side by side, and it certainly appears they are indeed the same performance.

It's amazing what tricks your mind can play on you! I've had the "Del Mar" recording for over 40 years and got to know it quite well before I got the "Loughran" about 15 years ago. I was absolutely convinced the "Loughran" was a different performance, and a couple of friends I provided the recordings to as well were none the wiser. The sound quality is certainly different and I guess that contributed to my mistaken perception.

Thanks for pointing this out to me, and I now unreservedly welcome the Loughran recording from Lyrita, with the added anticipation that it will be in much better sound than either of the two recordings I've lived with to date. Still one of my very favorite symphonies, regardless!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 09:23:17 pm »

So....the mystery appears to have been finally resolved :)

Yes..it should be some consolation to know that the cd recording ought to be better quality.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 01:39:12 am »

Three Lyrita cds were delivered to me today: the Wordsworth symphonies and Milner choral music (release date April 8th) and the Iain Hamilton cd (release date May 13th).

So...if you want to get these cds earlier than advertised by Amazon use Musicweb's direct link with Lyrita :)

(I also received at the same time the three new Dutton cds-Bax/Butterworth/Scott, Armstrong Gibbs and RVW. Six new cds of British music in one day.....Great Stuff!!)
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 01:09:22 am »

I have listened to the new Lyrita Wordsworth a few times now.  I think the Symphony No. 5 is a wonderful and substantial work that I found thoroughly engaging.  The Symphony No. 1 is ok but one of the issues I have with this composer is that the works sound so similar.  I thought the Symphony No. 5 was another movement of the Symphony No. 1.  Compare this with Vaughan Williams who casts a very long shadow on 20th century British symphonists and there is a good reason why.  Great artists really need to traverse tremendous ground and the best do.  But I still consider this a very worthy purchase for No. 5.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 03:32:24 pm »

I largely agree with your assessment.

There is no doubt that RVW was a towering figure of British symphonism and we cannot really claim that other composers were not to various degrees in this thrall. That does not however negate the fact that their works are worthy of much greater exposure and that the neglect they have suffered is unjustified. Wordsworth's 5th is, in my opinion, a masterpiece and I am overjoyed to see it finally available on disc.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 03:48:41 pm »

Bax was RVW's equal in every way.  Bax was superior as a melodist.
Report Spam   Logged
Paulp
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 06:55:36 pm »

I'd hate to choose between the two of them, so I won't!   ;D
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 07:49:18 pm »

It depends on the day!  :D
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 11:42:15 pm »

Bax was RVW's equal in every way.  Bax was superior as a melodist.

Conventional wisdom (for what it's worth) is that melody was one of the things Bax was weaker at. I can certainly think of more memorable tunes from the pen of RVW.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: