The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:53:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Finnish music

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finnish music  (Read 2488 times)
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2016, 02:19:33 pm »

A moment ago I posted a work by the Finnish composer Jukka Tiensuu: Teoton (Concerto for Sheng & Orch).
A work for a fascinating instrument, the sheng. This chinese instrument goes back to 500 years b.c.

The nr one player for this instrument is Wu Wei, who inspired composers all around the world to write pieces for him. (Over 200 works now).

The work is played by the dutch Radio Filharmonisch Orkest and the afore mentioned Wu Wei. Conductor is Edo de Waart.
Its from a radio recording of january 30, 2016.
I posted two versions: one wav and one mp3. Make your choice

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 10:49:43 pm »

Thank you very much.  The links however both take you to a wav download, which I cannot use.  Can you download an MP3?

Again, thank you.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 12:44:00 am »

Jukka Tiensuu - Teoton

I moved the Jukka Tiensuu concerto to the Finnish Downloads Board.
Corrected the link to the mp3 file

Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 04:04:38 am »

I really appreciate this. Thank you!
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 01:20:11 pm »

I recently posted a set of links in another forum to uploads I have made of a series of Finnish LPs from the early 1950s on the Fennica label. Lots of lesser-known contemporary (at the time) Finnish composers, some pioneering recordings of works later re-recorded, and a certain amount of Sibelius. Some of these performances are in very rare recordings by Jussi Jalas and Tauno Hannikainen, among others. None of these have ever been reissued on CD (or even subsequent LP) editions.

The potential problem here is that my uploads are in FLAC format, which I know is anathema to some here, but I don't have the time or patience to redo them as MP3s and then reupload them, as well as taking up additional cloud space with those files.

So, if there is interest on anyone's part here in converting and reuploading these files on their own account, I will happily post the links here for sharing under such an arrangement.
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 05:10:33 pm »

Hello Latvian,

perhaps you could post the links to the FLAC files in the download section for all members interested
(I always prefer FLAC over mp3 :-), but we shouldn't start this discussion again).

If there are serious requests concerning conversion to mp3, I guess there will be enough forum members
who may do that job. (From Thursday on I am away for some 3 weeks without access to my private PC,
otherwise I would have offered that service myself.)

Best regards,
                        mjkF
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 06:39:33 pm »

OK, mjkFendrich, I will try to post the links later today.

Maris
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 08:14:14 pm »

I've now uploaded the Fennica material to the Downloads folder. I had to post in four parts because the forum software doesn't support more than 5000 characters per post.

In the early 1950s the Finnish composers union isued a series of monaural LP recordings on the Fennica label, comprising a wide variety of Finnish symphonic music, much of it contemporary at the time. Works by Jean Sibelius figure prominently, and included several short pieces that were somewhat of a novelty at the time (such as The Dryad and Pan and Echo). I don't know definitively how many discs were finally issued, possibly fifteen or sixteen from what I remember reading somewhere years ago. They were never distributed outside Finland, though they were available by mail order internationally -- that's how I got my first ones back around 1970. Ultimately, I managed to accumulate the first twelve discs in the series, and I've greatly enjoyed the music on them. I believe the discs after these first twelve were more oriented to Finnish folk music. Apart from much rare repertoire, the series is also noteworthy for otherwise unavailable recordings by Jussi Jalas and Tauno Hannikainen, and a very early recording by Paavo Berglund.

The condition of the discs, acquired over the years from a variety of sources, varies greatly. Some pressings are better than others, some discs are noisier than others. In a few instances I managed to find more than one copy and I digitized the one in better condition, so by and large the rips are pretty good (they were done about eight years ago). Noise reduction was applied with Wave Corrector but no attempt at equalization or other improvement has been made. One work, unfortunately, has a few skips that I was unable to overcome -- Sibelius' Spring Song. If anyone wishes to improve on the sound, feel free to do so. All the jacket art was uniform, with the works on the disc listed at the bottom of the jacket front. The jacket rear listed the complete contents of all the discs that had been issued up to that time, so the earlier discs issued had fewer listings on the back. There is no identification on the jacket as to the number of the disc -- that information can only be gotten from the disc labels. You can find some examples on the Discogs website.

These files take up a chunk of space on my Mega account, so I will not be leaving them up indefinitely. Please do not share these links outside the forum.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 09:40:55 pm »

Many thanks for providing all these very interesting recordings, Maris! As you know, I already had a number of them before (thanks to you, in fact), but I am really happy also to get the complete collection now. This said, there is one little error: by accident, you did not provide the correct link for LP 8 (but gave the one for LP 7 a second time). Anyway, many thanks again for all these treasures!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 10:18:10 pm »

Huge thanks to Latvian for his generosity in providing so much Finnish music in one go like this!

There was a time when members regularly uploaded vast quantities of music. I guess these days are over- for all kinds of perfectly understandable reasons- but it is fantastic when we get this kind of reminder of the times when almost every day brought new treasures!
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 11:24:44 pm »

This said, there is one little error: by accident, you did not provide the correct link for LP 8 (but gave the one for LP 7 a second time).

Thanks for letting me know. The link has now been corrected.

I, too, miss the time when new uploads appeared daily, so I'm glad to be able to help revive those days a bit!
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 08:36:32 am »

Thanks, Maris, great chance to hear music of some composers who are new to me (Linnala, et al). I no longer have my once huge LP collection, so sorry I can't do uploads much anymore, I did always appreciate them very much from others, as I do these of Maris.
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 09:12:40 pm »

Dear Maris,

thanks a lot for posting these treasures!

mjkF
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: