The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:38:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

United States Music

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: United States Music  (Read 33469 times)
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 02, 2015, 07:40:51 am »

Thanks for the Lewis Symphony No.2, Gauk, an intriguing work. Sounds like a Bartok Nachtmusik movement that has evolved into a multi-movement symphony!

Must find out if anything else is recorded.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 02, 2015, 09:24:19 am »

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I know other works of his have been recorded, but I have never come across any.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 02, 2015, 09:35:59 am »

Thanks for the Lewis Symphony No.2, Gauk, an intriguing work. Sounds like a Bartok Nachtmusik movement that has evolved into a multi-movement symphony!

Must find out if anything else is recorded.
there are quite a few things on utube..
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Robert+Hall+Lewis
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 06, 2015, 06:49:50 pm »

Music of Lukas Foss

from the collection of Karl Miller

Gift of the Magi- Suite from the Ballet

Suite from the Opera Grifflekin
  • Devils
  • Ballad
  • Piano Deviltry (James Kohn, piano)
  • On Earth (Dawn)
  • Song of the Fountain Statue
  • Toyshop Parade
  • Chase
[/i]

Behold, I Build a House

Source LP:
KM 14002
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Choral Union
Carl Chapman, conductor
Oshkosh Symphony Orchestra
Henri B. Pensis, conductor

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2015, 06:56:35 pm »

Music of Kevin Kaska

From the collection of Karl Miller

Triple Concerto (World Premiere)

I Allegro con passione
II Larghetto
III Vivace brioso

Eroica Trio (Adela Peña, violin/Sara Sant' Ambrogio, cello/Erika Nickrenz, piano)
St Louis Symphony Orchestra
Hans Vonk
[9/10 November 2001
]

Knights of the Red Branch (Triple Harp Concerto)
The Ride
Lament
The Return
Catherine Barretr, Jeannie Norton, Paula Page, harps
Doctors Orchestra of Houston
Libi Lebel
[19 November 2005]

BSO 2000 Famfare

Written for the Boston Symphony Orchestra

The Golden Falcon
An Egyption folk tale for children

Fratternal Journey

Commissioned by the Scottish Rite Freemasons
Milenium 2000 Symphony Orchestra
James Orent, conductor

American Rhapsody #1
Modesto Symphony Orchestra
Michael Krajewski, conductor

The Wizard of Menlo Park
An Address on Thomas Edison for Narrator and Orchestra

Alivin Epstein, actor
Cliff Schorer text

Fanfare for the New Millineum
Old South Brass

Heroic Entry
Old South Brass

Hymn of Praise
Old South Brass

My Country Phillipines
Lauron Ildefonso, flute
Boston Pops Orchestra
John Williams, conductor

I'm Glad there is you.

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2015, 07:02:32 pm »

Music of Radie Britain

Lament
organist and violinist not known
this work is not in her bio-bibliography

Lasso of Time (1940)
Chorus and ensemble unknown

Lotusland (1972)
David Vanni, tenor/violinist, cellist, and pianist unknown

Nocturn(sic) (1934)
Studio Orchestra Broadcast on KFI Radio (Hollywood)

Nocturn (1934)
Amarillo Symphony Orchestra
A Clyde Roller
[22 February, 1955]

Pastorale for Two Pianos (1939)
pianists unknown

Prelude to a Drama (1928)
Burbank Symphony Orchestra
Leo Damani
[9 October 1949]

Prison(Lament) (1935)
Richard Czerwonky, violin
John Wiederhorn, piano
[5 November 1935]

Saturnale (1939)
United States Air Force Orchestra
Col. George Howard
[19 Feb 1957]

Canyon (1939)
Eastman-Rochester Symphony Orchestra
Howard Hanson
[23 October 1945]

Serenade (1942)
Sigrid von Eicke, soprano
pianist unknown

Solitudine [ Italian version of Stillness]{1940]
Wendell Noble, baritone
Pianist unknown

Southern Symphony (1935) III Rhumbando
Chicago Philharmonic Orchestra
Richard Czerwonky
[24 June 1940]

Stillness
Wendell Noble, baritone
pianist unknown

Suite for Strings (1940)
Nostaliga
Serenade
Consecration
Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra
Howard Hanson
[23 October 1945]

Cactus Rhapsody (1953)
United States Air Force Symphony Orchestra
Captain John F. Yesulatis
[4 April 1960]

Cosmic Mist Symphony (1962)
In the Beginning
Nebula
Nuclear Fission
University of Houston Symphony Orchestra
A. Clyde Roller
[18 APril 1967]

Cowboy Rhapsody(1956)
Amarillo Symphony Orchestra
A. Clyde Roller
[11 April 1956]

Goddess of Inspiration (1948)
Sigrid von Eicke, soprano
unknown pianist.

Heroic Poem(1948)
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
Henry Sopkin
[11 March 1956]

Composer Biography from the Texas State Historical Association

BRITAIN, RADIE (1899–1994). Radie Britain, one of the most successful Texas-born composers of symphonic music in the twentieth century, was born near Silverton, Texas, on March 17, 1899, the daughter of Edgar Charles and Katie (Ford) Britain. By 1905 the family had moved to a ranch near Clarendon, and Radie studied piano at Clarendon College. Even though the family later moved to Amarillo, Radie remained in Clarendon to finish high school and the music curriculum offered there. After high school she studied one year at Crescent College near Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Her early studies were with European-trained teachers who recognized her superior talents and predicted success for her in the music world. In the fall of 1919 she enrolled at the American Conservatory in Chicago, where she studied piano with Heniot Levy. She completed her B.M. degree in 1921. She then spent a year (1921–22) as music teacher at Clarendon College and set up her own teaching studio in Amarillo (1922–23), saving as much money as possible for a trip to Europe for further study. During the summer of 1922 she studied in Dallas with the organist Pietro Yon.

Britain made her first trip to Europe during the summer of 1923. She settled in Paris, where she studied organ with Marcel Dupré. After another year teaching privately in Amarillo, she set her sights on Germany. She moved to Berlin and studied piano with Adele aus der Ohre (1924), but soon moved to Munich to study with Albert Noelte (1924–26), who encouraged her to pursue composition seriously. She had her first compositions published there and made a successful debut as a composer in May 1926. The death of her younger sister in Amarillo forced Britain to return to the U.S., but she continued studying with Noelte in Chicago (1926–27), where he had moved. Britain herself moved to Chicago permanently to teach with Noelte at Girvin Institute of Music and Allied Arts.

During these years she began to compose orchestral works, the genre that produced her greatest successes. Her training as an organist gave her insights as an orchestrator, and she began to produce a long series of programmatic orchestral works in the tradition of German post-romanticism. Her Heroic Poem (1929) was inspired by Charles Lindbergh's flight and won the Juilliard National Publication Prize in 1930. With the help of her mentor Noelte and encouragement from the Federal Music Project, her works were played by symphony orchestras all over the country during the next decade.

Her first husband, Leslie Edward Moeller, was a Chicago businessman with little interest in his wife's career. They married in June 1930, and Britain's only child, Lerae, was born in 1932. An older woman composer, Amy Beach, made it possible for Britain to spend the summers of 1935 and 1936 at the famed MacDowell Colony. During the 1930s Britain fell in love with the Italian sculptor Edgardo Simone (1889–1949). After divorcing her first husband in 1939 she moved to California and married Simone in 1940. After Simone's death Britain married Theodore Morton, an aviation pioneer, in 1959. Morton died in 1993.

In 1941 Britain settled in Hollywood, where she taught piano and composition and continued a distinguished career as a composer. She is undoubtedly the most honored Texas composer in history. More than fifty of her works received international or national awards. She was given an honorary doctorate by the Musical Arts Conservatory in Amarillo in 1958. Throughout her career she maintained a connection to her native Southwest. One of her first published piano pieces in Munich was Western Suite (1925), and she returned to her roots many times for inspiration and titles. Among her orchestral works are Southern Symphony (1935), Drouth (1939), Paint Horse and Saddle (1947), Cowboy Rhapsody (1956), and Texas (1987). Similar titles can be found in her piano, vocal, and chamber music works.

For decades Radie Britain was associated with the National League of American Pen Women. She wrote numerous articles in magazines and journals. In 1959 she wrote an unpublished autobiographical novel, Bravo, based on her relationship with Edgardo Simone. Her other published writings include Major and Minor Moods (1970), a collection of autobiographical and inspirational short stories; Composer's Corner (1978), a collection of her articles from National Pen Women Magazine; and Ridin' Herd to Writing Symphonies: an Autobiography (1996), a fascinating memoir published posthumously. Britain died on May 23, 1994, in Palm Desert, California.

Collections of Radie Britain's music, published and manuscript, are housed in several locations: the Amarillo Public Library; the American Music Center in New York; the Edwin A. Fleisher Collection of Orchestral Music in Philadelphia; the Moldenhauer Collection at Harvard University; the Texas Composers Collection at the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin; and the Radie Britain Collection in the UCLA Music Library's Archival Collection. The composer's original music scores, manuscripts, and tapes are at the Indiana University School of Music. The Radie Britain Papers (scrapbooks, letters, programs, notes, newspaper articles, citations, and photos) are housed at the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.

Report Spam   Logged

jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 06, 2015, 07:09:47 pm »

Walter Piston: Symphony No. 4

Five different interpretations of Walter Piston's Symphony No. 4. 

Los Angeles Philharmonic

Daniel Lewis, conductor
[date unknown]
[/i]
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Lawrence Foster, conductor
Ravina 1984

New York Philharmonic
Elyakum Shapira, conductor
14 March 1965]

Minnesota Orchestra
Edo de Waart, conductor
[13 Sept. 1991]

Detroit Sympony Orchestra
Neemi Jarvi, conductor
[date unknown]
Report Spam   Logged

jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2015, 07:14:50 pm »

Music of Gerard Schurmann

"It is impossible for a composer to bridge the widening gap between sophisticated creative processes of the day and the listener with integrity: the result of the most fervent desire to communicate can be put to the test only within oneself, measured against the yardstick of personal experience. Any deliberate attempt to work on the speculative basis of current market and fashion values is inevitably doomed, because such contrivances, being essentially self-deluding, remove the basic premise of the creative function. On a different level, it is a sobering thought that none of us will ever know whether we have made the right artistic decisions, since this will be determined long after we are gone. I believe in communication - but there must be individuality. In the chaos in which we live, a strong personal statement is in the end the only thing of any interest."

Intro (Composer Interview)

Concerto for Orchestra (Premiere)
Pittsburg Symphony Orchestra
Edo de Waart
[29/30/31 March 1996]

Piano Concerto (1973)
(with paraphrase of the Richard Rodney Benneett PIano Concerto, first movement)
Joaquin Achucawo, piano
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Composer/Conductor

Variants for Orchestra (1971)
Northern SInfonia
Bryden Thomson

Six Studies after Bacon (1968)
Cleveland Orchestra
Lorin Maazel

Concerto for Violin and Orchestra
(with occasional references to Ginastera Violin Concerto)
Ruggero Ricci, violin
Royal Liverpool Philharmonic
Sir Charles Groves
[26 September 1978]
Report Spam   Logged

jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2015, 07:18:28 pm »

Charles Strouse: Concerto America

I sometimes think the best music in the world is theater music. Even though they might call it a symphony.  The best composers go for theatrical moments that transcend what we study of them. Moments that leap off the page, that dance, that sing. I think that's theater.

From the collection of Karl Miller.

Concerto America, for Piano and Orchestra

Jeffrey Siegel, piano
Boston Pops Orchestra
Conductor, Keith Lockhart(?)
[30 June 2002]
Report Spam   Logged

jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2016, 01:58:51 am »

Compositions by Lionel Barrymore

Waltz Fantasy
Fugue Fantasia

AFRS Concert Hall Program #270
Leo Damiani
(Likely the Burbank Symphony Orchestra)

In Memoriam: John Barrymore
Philadelphia Orchestra
Eugene Ormandy, conductor
AFRS Philadelphia Symphony Program #14
[15 April 1944]

Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf
(Lionel Barrymore- narration)
Waltz Fantasy
AFRS Los Angeles Philharmonic Replacing Philadelphia Symphony 15
Los Angeles Philharmonic
Standard Hour Concert at the Hollywood Bowl
[23 July 1944]

Barrymore may not have been one of the all time greats, but WHAT a renaissance man!  Also, I decided to use a still from Key Largo for the picture instead of his role as "Mr. Potter" from "It's a Wonderful Life."  Key Largo is, IMO, one of the greatest movies from the 40s.
Report Spam   Logged

jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2016, 02:03:11 am »

SPA Records-- American Life (1954)

Alex North: Holiday Set
  • Sunday Morning
  • Journey to Country Scene
  • Baseball game
  • Pause
  • Journey from
[/i]

Sunday in Brooklyn: Eli Siegmeister
  • Prospect Park
  • Sunday Driver
  • Family at Home
  • Children's Story
  • Coney Island[/i]
Music Hall Overture:  Frederick Jacobi

McConkey's Ferry Overture:  George Antheil

Saturday Night at the Firehouse: Henry Cowell

Vienna Philharmonia Orchestra
I. Charles Adler, conductor
Source LP:  SPA Records:  SPA 47

Report Spam   Logged

Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 05, 2016, 06:00:47 am »

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I know other works of his have been recorded, but I have never come across any.
Please try This:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=robert+hall+lewis
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #207 on: May 21, 2016, 06:03:26 pm »

Amy Beach

Any one have any  radio recordings of:

1903:   “Jephtha’s Daughter” for soprano and orchestra
1907:   “The Sea-Fairies” for soprano, contralto, female chorus and orchestra, op. 59
              “The Chambered Nautilius” for soprano, contralto, female chorus and orchestra, op.66
1915:   “Panama Hymn” for voices and orchestra, op. 74
1931:   “Christ in the Universe” for chorus and orchestra, op.132

I understand there were some radio broadcast - performances by the Eastman Symphony in the early 1960s of these pieces.
Thanks
Report Spam   Logged
guest662
« Reply #208 on: April 15, 2017, 09:04:51 pm »

Martha Beck Carragan (1900-1997) was the composer of this music. Her maiden name was Martha Dillard Beck, and she was married once, to the physicist George Howard Carragan (1896-1982). She was an alumna of the Oberlin Conservatory and the American Conservatory of Music. She was a pianist, a music teacher and analyst, and a composer primarily of teaching pieces for young students. In the 1930s she worked closely with Henry Cowell, Ruth Crawford Seeger, and other composers. For many years she was on the faculty of Emma Willard School, Troy, New York, and also taught privately. She founded the Friends of Chamber Music of Troy in 1948, and this organization is still active today presenting six concerts per season by internationally knoiwn chamber groups. The Prelude for Orchestra was composed in 1976 on commission from the Albany Symphony Orchestra and its music director, Julius Hegyi, and was recorded at that time in Troy Music Hall (later known as Troy Savings Bank Music Hall). It is a free composition, and from my personal knowledge was inspired by the vision of a blue sky dotted with clouds, some light and fleecy, some dark and menacing. This contribution is by William Carragan, the son of the composer.

Prelude for Orchestra, by Martha Beck Carragan

Albany Symphony Orchestra
Julius Hegyi
Private recording of live performance
(Date Unknown, but must be between 1965 and 1988, according to the Albany Symphony Orchestra. )

I have been unable to find out much about Martha Beck (or Martha Beck Dillard, or Martha Beck Carragan- she was evidently married twice ), but she was a composer and educator in New York, and started the Friends of Chamber Music to promote playing of new chamber works in 1949.  I can say that she was not the 1940s serial killer Martha Beck  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Fernandez_and_Martha_Beck, nor is she the self-help guru Martha Beck http://marthabeck.com/.  She does seem to have been a fine composer.

Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2017, 07:25:22 am »

these is an abundance of his things here:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=robert+hall+lewis
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: