The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:41:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

United States Music

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: United States Music  (Read 33563 times)
kyjo
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2013, 08:13:47 pm »

Jowcol-many, many thanks for the huge batch of Leo Sowerby uploads as well as the article :) :) I own the Naxos disc of his works for organ and orchestra, the Cedille disc of his tone poems, the Cedille disc of his Symphony no. 2 and other orchestral works and the New World disc of his piano trios and think quite highly of them. Sowerby's music is very conservative and often has that open-air feel so often associated with American composers. And I see the recording of the Organ Concerto no. 1 features such distinguished artists as E. Power Biggs and Eugene Ormandy!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2013, 04:07:30 am »

Great to get the late Organ Concerto No.2 :)

What a shame that the Symphonies Nos. 1(1920-21), 4(1944-47) and 5(1964) remain unheard....and, above all, the huge Psalm Symphony of 1923-24 :(

I have duly revised my online Sowerby catalogue :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2013, 05:47:07 pm »

Roelef,

The upload of the recording of the Benjamin Lees Concerto for String Quartet and Orchestra should be removed. It IS available on cd:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TMVM3Y/ref=nosim?tag=benjlees-20&linkCode=sb1&camp=212353&creative=380549
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2013, 09:17:11 pm »

.....and I told Roelof I couldn't find a CD recording of it ::)
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2013, 12:03:58 am »

Thanks for the info Colin. I removed the file.
Didn't check for it myself; should have done that though

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2013, 12:19:47 am »

Well done. Too late here,though :(! I'd never heard Lees before! Really enjoyed that! Another composer on my 'shopping list' thanks to you! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2013, 12:32:10 am »

Roelef,

The upload of the recording of the Benjamin Lees Concerto for String Quartet and Orchestra should be removed. It IS available on cd:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TMVM3Y/ref=nosim?tag=benjlees-20&linkCode=sb1&camp=212353&creative=380549

I don't think this is available anywhere, since I had a heck of a time looking for it some time back, and I had to settle for buying it on LP at a record shop.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2013, 01:35:02 am »

Sorry...but is that not just exactly the point: it IS available from this seller via Amazon on cd.

The seller must have a license from whoever owns CRI these days (New World Records ??? ) to transfer music to cd on demand. Does that not mean that as the music is "commercially available" it is not allowed here ???
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2013, 01:45:49 am »

New World has re-issued the Lees on CD.  They now own all rights to CRI recordings. They are releasing all of the old CRI LPs. They re all available on the New World website and Amazon.  So it is commercially available from a legitimate record company.

http://www.newworldrecords.org/cri-nwr-2004-03.shtml
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2013, 12:37:18 pm »

I'll have to seek out some more Lees,after that. I didn't expect the piece to be so vigorous. In fact,I was expecting something a bit like later Paul Creston. A composer I have yet to get 'into',I'm afraid. Although,I just bought two s/h Delos cds of his music,the other week,so I'm still trying. I DO like Symphonies 1 & 2,though!
Of course more Lee means less in the old wallet. Much as I love music!! :(
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2013, 03:43:56 pm »

I've just posted a rarity in the Downloads folder -- a symphony by American composer Chester Ide (1878-1944). There is precious little information easily obtainable about him, and I haven't been able to discover the date of composition of the symphony.

Here is his obituary, from the Chateaugay Record of April 7, 1944. Chateaugay is a small town in northernmost New York State directly to the Canadian border.

Chester Edward Ide, composer and resident of Perryridge Road, died at Greenwich Hospital Saturday afternoon after a brief illness. He was 67 years of age.
  Mr. Ide was born in Springfield, Ill., in 1878 and received his musical training at the Royal Academy in London under Ebenezer Prout, Frederick Corder, and F. W. Davenport. He returned to the U. S. in 1913 to teach piano and harmony.
  A prolific composer, he numbered among his larger compositions a Sonata for Piano, String Quartet, Symphony in A Minor, Suite for Small Orchestra and the "Autumn Songs" for soprano and orchestra.
  Mr. Ide also composed many works for children's productions, all characterised by a freshness and fantasy that made them irresistibly appealing not only the the children for whom they were written, but also to adults. "The Piper," "Bag's Christmas" and "The River Nile" were only a few of his children's productions that delighted Greenwich audiences at the Edgewood School.
  A pioneer in the development of orchestral training for children, Mr. Ide taught, in addition to the Edgewood School in Greenwich at the Music School Settlement in New York City and at the Unquowa School in Bridgeport.
  Surviving Mr. Ide are his wife, the former Vella Martin, of Galesburg, Ill., a teacher at the Edgewood School, and two daughters, Mrs. Victor Ratner, of New York City, and Miss Elfrid Ide, now serving with the Red Cross in England.
  Mr. Ide is well known in Chateaugay having owned a camp at Chateaugay Lake, where he has spent a number of seasons.
[Note the mistake in his age -- it should be 65 or 66, depending on what date he was born, which I've been unable to ascertain.]

The only other significant information I could find about him is in the 1910 edition of the Wa-Wan Press catalogue:

Chester Ide, of Springfield, Ill., is one of the few American composers whose studies have been conducted chiefly in England. He has a marked gift for melody and rhythm, and aims at simple beauty and clarity of expression. He infuses a spirit of buoyant happiness, a poetic uplift, into his music, that is one of its chief characteristics, and he delights also in moods of wistful and reflective character. His workmanship is extremely careful, and his management of modulations is particularly smooth, and the effect always lucid. A refinement of means is always evident in his work, and his interweaving of themes ingenious and unstrained.

I hear nothing unique, unusual, or revolutionary in his music, but it is clearly well-crafted and very enjoyable. The recording is excellent and the orchestra quite decent, although the work would likely make more of an impact from a major ensemble. The conducting is involved and committed, keeping things tidy, well-balanced, and flowing. However, I feel there is a sense of structure lacking, that allows the music to seem more rambling than it really should be. But, beggars can't be choosers and we're unlikely to ever get a world-class performance and recording of this work.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2013, 07:50:10 pm »

Many thanks for the Ide Symphony, Maris! I am always on the lookout for obscure American romantic music :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2013, 02:51:46 pm »

I am always on the lookout for obscure American romantic music

As am I! One of my favorites. If any of our forum members have any other rarities along these lines, I would certainly welcome them gratefully!
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2013, 04:18:09 pm »

This Little Light of Mine by Phyllis Barnard (Little Joey)  1978

In honor of the day, I wish to share a recording from an old vinyl that will have some novel vocal timbres that you have likely never heard, and may never wish to hear again.  This is from a gospel ventriloquist record by Phyllis Barnard (as Little Joey) , and simply must be heard to be believed.   Please do not play near breakable objects, pets, or people with post-traumatic stress disorder.

I've actually found some bio info about Phylis, who, sad to say, is no longer with us, but I fervently pray is part of the choir way beyond the blue. --

Biography

Phylis Lee Alice (her maiden name was La Folette) married David Barnard in August 1965. Phylis and David traveled the US as evangelists in churches. They both did the preaching and sang together in the services.  Phylis learned ventriloquism on her own as a mean to entertain children in a separate service while David preached in the adult service.

In time Phylis and Joey, the dummy, came to be a part of their songs. David played guitar and Phylis (Joey's voice of course) would duet with David as Joey, holding Joey and doing the head and mouth movement. It was a hit with everyone young and old. David was the straight man and Joey was the punch line part.

Together Phylis and David recorded 5 musical albums that were sold in their church meetings, music concerts, television shows and shopping center appearances.  Often they were asked if they had a "Joey" Children's Album.  So, they went into a recording studio in Orange County in Southern California and in five hours laid down the tracks. Phylis life long friend, Orvel Phillips, pastor of The Lord's Church, Bellflower, CA did the Hammond Organ B3 and piano backup music.

Phylis, Joey and David moved to New Zealand in 1969 to live and pastor a church for two years. They continued to perform throughout the country and did a Gospel part for a huge concert in open field that featured The Bee Gees.

In 1972 Phylis and David and their buddy Joey went to Australia where he took the audience by storm in their church meetings for over a year. They were on every major morning and evening television talk shows throughout Australia as well as many middle schools and high schools, shopping centers and live concerts. From there it was to the Philippines, Indonesia, Hong Kong, India, Fiji and most of South-Eastern Asia. Joey drew hundreds if not thousands who came to see and marveled at Joey, "The Talking Doll".

Phylis and David separated and divorced in 1986. She remarried about 1991 and assumed the name Phylis L. Clark, Insurance Agent, Camarillo, CA.

Phylis passed away in 2002 after a brief time suffering from a brain tumor. David does not know the whereabouts of Joey "The Talking Doll" nor who got possession of him.

To the best of my knowledge this aural abomination is not commercially available.
I take no responsibility if this track leads to psychosis, permanent brain damage,  or worse.
And, despite rumors, I am NOT keeping Little Joey hostage in my basement.

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2013, 03:29:34 pm »

Many thanks, Holger, for the Lukas Foss Symphony No.2 :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: