The Art-Music Forum
May 29, 2020, 01:07:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

United States Music

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: United States Music  (Read 25946 times)
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:29:43 am »

Music of Bernard Rogers
Repost from UC

At long last, I am happy to say that I have just posted several works of Bernard Rogers from the collection of Karl Miller.  Having listened to about half of this, I can say without doubt that he is definitely a candidate for poster child for unsung composers, and this should be a major bonanza.  Some of the sources were pretty lo-fi, but my thanks to Karl for spending more than a week on doing everything he could to improve them.  He’s provided some technical notes on some of the sources and restorations, which I will reproduce in the downloads section.

Music of Bernard Rogers Volume 1

1-5: Symphony No.4 “To Soldiers”
Battle Fantasy; Eulogy; Fugue and Epilogue
CBS Symphony Orchestra
Thor Johnson, conductor
[15 May 1949]

A version of this recorded has already been posted to Unsung.  Karl explains:

The CBS SO performance which has previously been uploaded came from a Dictaphone disc I transferred some 40 years ago. I went back to my original tape of the transfer and did some restoration on the sound and hopefully it will easier to hear.

6-8: Symphony No.4

Eastman Rochester Symphony Orchestra
Howard Hanson, conductor
[6 May 1948]

9:  Symphony No.5 “Africa” (1962)
Visions; Tribal Drums
Symposium Orchestra
Composer, conducting

Notes from Karl:
    The recordings of the 4th and 5th Symphonies came from tapes owned by Paul Snook. The sound quality was not very good, so I did my best to restore the fidelity.  Since I know that the CBS version was recorded at 33 rpm and I have the disc, I feel rather secure in thinking that it is correctly pitched. The Eastman performance of the work was off a ½ step, not unlike many items I have from Eastman, so I repitched it.

Music of Bernard Rogers Volume 2.

1-10: Song of the Nightingale, Suite (1939)
Prelude; The gardens of the porcelain palace; Expedition of the Chinese gentlemen; Berceuse; A court festival; The clockwork nightingale; Death and the emperor; Song of the nightingale; Happy ending
Peabody Orchestra
Gunther Schuller, conductor

11:  Symphony No.3? in C
“On a Thanksgiving Song”
Rochester Philharmonic
Howard Hanson, conductor
[27 October 1937]

Notes  on Symphony 3 from  Karl:
    My copy was pitched at B. I have often had trouble with dubs from the Eastman Collection being pitched improperly. It can have to do with how the current to the turntables was supplied when the recording was made. However, re-pitching the work places the hum at 60 cps, which is where it should have been.

The Fleisher collection says this work is in 4 movements, yet I could not find any breaks in the work. The Fleisher Collection catalog also states that the piece is supposed to be about 42 minutes in duration, yet my recording is 28 minutes long. Something suggesting a hymn tune can be found towards the end. While I am not familiar with a “Thanksgiving Song,” the prominence of the tune suggests such a reference. The sound quality is typical of Eastman in-house recordings of the period. 

Music of Bernard Rogers 3

1Apparitions for Orchestra
Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra/Max Rudolf
[date unknown]

2-3 Four Pictures after Hans Christian Anderson
Eastman Rochester Symphony Orchestra/Howard Hanson [28 April 1945?]

4-8: Three Japanese Dances
Cleveland Orchestra/Louis Lane
[date unknown]

9: Portrait for Violin and Orchestra
Josef Gingold, violin
Cleveland Orchestra/George Szell
[18/20 October 1956]

10:  Suite “Silver World” (1949)
A Hobby Horse; Chinese March; A Princess; Tug of War
Eastman Little Symphony/Frederick Fennell
[date unknown]
No notes…

I haven’t found much about Rogers with a quick search, but we’ll start with a photo and 2 quick bios.

Wikipedia Bio
Bernard Rogers (4 February 1893 – 24 May 1968) was an American composer.

Rogers was born in New York City. He studied with Arthur Farwell, Ernest Bloch, Percy Goetschius, and Nadia Boulanger. He taught at the Cleveland Institute of Music, The Hartt School, and the Eastman School of Music. He retired from the latter school in 1967, and died in Rochester, New York.

Bernard Rogers composed five operas , five symphonies, other works for orchestra, chamber music, three cantatas, choral music and Lieder.

He was a National Patron of Delta Omicron, an international professional music fraternity.[1]

Archive.Org  Bio:

Bernard Rogers (1893-1968) was professor of composition and chair of the composition department at Eastman from 1930 to 1967. He was born in New York City, and studied architecture before turning to music. His early composition teachers were Hans van der Berg, Arthur Farwell, and Ernest Bloch. After the successful premiere of his symphonic elegy, To the Fallen, by the New York Philharmonic in 1919, Mr. Rogers was awarded a Pulitzer Traveling Scholarship for study in Europe. In 1927, he received a Guggenheim Fellowship, and studied with Nadia Boulanger in Paris and with Frank Bridge in London. He began to teach composition and orchestration at Eastman when he returned to the United States in 1929. In the ensuing 38 years, he taught more than 700 composers, many of whom went on to achieve international prominence. Mr. Rogers’ work as a composer included four symphonies, three operas, several major choral works, and numerous works of chamber music. His book The Art of Orchestration has been acknowledged as a classic in its field since its publication in 1951. He received honorary doctorates from Valparaiso University and Wayne State University, and was elected a member of the National Institute of Arts and Letters in 1947.

I pulled the bio from  this page, which also features with 4 very clean transfers of 78s of neglected American artists conducted by Hanson, free to download.  I would not hesitate to snag the Rogers Soliloquy for Flute and the Barlow.

http://archive.org/details/AmericanWorksForSoloWinds
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:12:23 am by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: