The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:58:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

United States Music

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: United States Music  (Read 33663 times)
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2013, 04:18:09 pm »

This Little Light of Mine by Phyllis Barnard (Little Joey)  1978

In honor of the day, I wish to share a recording from an old vinyl that will have some novel vocal timbres that you have likely never heard, and may never wish to hear again.  This is from a gospel ventriloquist record by Phyllis Barnard (as Little Joey) , and simply must be heard to be believed.   Please do not play near breakable objects, pets, or people with post-traumatic stress disorder.

I've actually found some bio info about Phylis, who, sad to say, is no longer with us, but I fervently pray is part of the choir way beyond the blue. --

Biography

Phylis Lee Alice (her maiden name was La Folette) married David Barnard in August 1965. Phylis and David traveled the US as evangelists in churches. They both did the preaching and sang together in the services.  Phylis learned ventriloquism on her own as a mean to entertain children in a separate service while David preached in the adult service.

In time Phylis and Joey, the dummy, came to be a part of their songs. David played guitar and Phylis (Joey's voice of course) would duet with David as Joey, holding Joey and doing the head and mouth movement. It was a hit with everyone young and old. David was the straight man and Joey was the punch line part.

Together Phylis and David recorded 5 musical albums that were sold in their church meetings, music concerts, television shows and shopping center appearances.  Often they were asked if they had a "Joey" Children's Album.  So, they went into a recording studio in Orange County in Southern California and in five hours laid down the tracks. Phylis life long friend, Orvel Phillips, pastor of The Lord's Church, Bellflower, CA did the Hammond Organ B3 and piano backup music.

Phylis, Joey and David moved to New Zealand in 1969 to live and pastor a church for two years. They continued to perform throughout the country and did a Gospel part for a huge concert in open field that featured The Bee Gees.

In 1972 Phylis and David and their buddy Joey went to Australia where he took the audience by storm in their church meetings for over a year. They were on every major morning and evening television talk shows throughout Australia as well as many middle schools and high schools, shopping centers and live concerts. From there it was to the Philippines, Indonesia, Hong Kong, India, Fiji and most of South-Eastern Asia. Joey drew hundreds if not thousands who came to see and marveled at Joey, "The Talking Doll".

Phylis and David separated and divorced in 1986. She remarried about 1991 and assumed the name Phylis L. Clark, Insurance Agent, Camarillo, CA.

Phylis passed away in 2002 after a brief time suffering from a brain tumor. David does not know the whereabouts of Joey "The Talking Doll" nor who got possession of him.

To the best of my knowledge this aural abomination is not commercially available.
I take no responsibility if this track leads to psychosis, permanent brain damage,  or worse.
And, despite rumors, I am NOT keeping Little Joey hostage in my basement.

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: