The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:28:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

(Another) New cpo recording project?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Another) New cpo recording project?  (Read 1143 times)
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2015, 06:02:37 pm »

Start of a Robert Fuchs symphony cycle?
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/robert-fuchs-symphonien-nr-1-2/hnum/3097779
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 09:01:10 am »

Only one more after that.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 05:55:03 am »

My copy of the cd containing the Henk Badings Symphonies Nos. 4 and 5 arrived on Thursday. I see that the recordings were made in Bochum, Germany in August 2012. It has taken the company over three years to get them onto cd and into circulation. This is not uncommon for CPO. It does not auger well for the recording due soon of the Joseph Holbrooke Symphony No.3. That may not be issued until midway through 2019. Some of us may never live to see cherished CPO projects completed.
The Hendrik Andriessen cycle is only now missing No.4 but CPO have simultaneously embarked on cycles of Johann Nepomuk David, Edvin Kallstenius ad Louis Glass. The Natanael Berg and Rudolph Simonsen are incomplete and may have been abandoned. The Julius Rontgen will, no doubt, drag on. We may get more Felix Woyrsch.

One really should not complain given that very few other companies can even approach CPO's enviable catalogue.....but a great deal of patience is required.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:34:28 am »

I've no problem with that. I admire cpo since they started issueing recordings of unknown repertoire. I'm a huge fan. I do accept there will always be music that I'm curious at and will never hear. Gladly there're still recordings made; I really can't understand the 'cpo-beating' that I read on this forum now and then.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 02:36:29 pm »

Please do not misunderstand me. Let me make it absolutely clear. I have enormous respect for CPO. I regularly buy their cds. Their enterprise in rescuing so very many composers from total neglect has, over the past couple of decades, been a major part of my listening experience and my gratitude to the company is boundless. Although they have not recorded much British music their complete cycles of the symphonies of Benjamin Frankel and Humphrey Searle stand out for me. CPO has done more for Scandinavian, and now for Dutch, music than any other label.

Ernst Krenek, Emil von Reznicek, Ernst Toch, Egon Wellesz, Heitor Villa-Lobos, Aulis Sallinen, Darius Milhaud, Gunter Raphael, Richard Wetz, Hendrik Andriessen, Henk Badings, Jan van Gilse, Julius Rontgen,  Andzej Panufnik, Kurt Atterberg, Lars-Erik Larsson, Wilhelm Petersen-Berger, Allan Pettersson, Ture Rangstrom, Ahmed Adnan Saygun, George Antheil..........

It is an amazing contribution.....and it continues :)

I can however offer some (I hope) gentle criticism. That criticism is the result of a lack of patience on my part. Having spent much of my listening life-of over 50 years now-hoping against hope that some of the music of these composers would become available it is both amazing and wonderful that companies like CPO in Germany and Lyrita and Dutton in the UK are now meeting my dreams. CPO has a more 'open policy' than other companies-which tend to keep their recording plans a totally guarded secret. I can speculate about which musical treasures Lyrita have in the pipeline....but I have no concrete evidence because Lyrita's plans are secret. CPO, on the other hand, let us know that they have recorded, say, the Johann Nepomuk David symphonies, sometimes even to the extent of including forthcoming cds in their published catalogue, and then sitting on the cds for many, many months before releasing them. Indeed years can pass before a recording gets its commercial release. That is tantalising....and frustrating for some of us.

Yes...that is a criticism but it is certainly not intended as "CPO-bashing". It is a criticism which pales into insignificance compared with my respect for the company and my profound gratitude for all they have and are doing for the music of neglected composers.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 03:26:28 pm »

Yeah, I really understand that 'frustration'. Since I visited Chemnitz in 2008, attended Pfitzner's opera Rose vom Liebesgarten, I'm hoping for a CD-release. Promised many times by cpo. Mailed mr. Schmilgun, who sometimes responds with 'soon', later with: 'soon, but not very soon', later with 'sooner but later'....... ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 03:43:07 pm »

I shall give you another example ;D

I read somewhere-about a couple of years ago now-that there was at least some doubt about whether CPO intended to continue or complete their cycle of the symphonies of Henk Badings. I wrote to the company in Osnabruck. In the reply I was told that they "had no plans to continue the series". I was very disappointed.

In fact they had recorded the Symphonies Nos. 4 and 5 in Bochum a year before that exchange of messages ::)
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 11:46:15 am »

A rather lenghty respons but I hope an informative one (forgive me my English, it's not as bad as Louis van Gaal's but not as good as Shakespeare's...) September 2015 I've read an interview with conductor David Porcelijn talking of his ongoing recording projects. It's in Dutch so probably not for everyone on this site, but you never know: http://www.opusklassiek.nl/interviews/porcelijn_interview.htm

Summary:
His major complain is that Dutch musicians, enterpreneurs and orchestras don't play Dutch music (any more). I agree, gone are the days of Willem van Otterloo, Anton Kersjes, Eduard Flipse and so on. Even Haitink programmed Dutch music.

On recordings with cpo: Jan van Gilse: recorded are Variations on a St. Nicholassong, Drei Tanzskizzen for piano and orchestra. He'd like to do some other orchestral works, like the Prologus brevis and orchestral songs. Also the large choral works Der Kreis des Lebens, Eine Lebensmesse, and the cantata Sulamith. Mouthwatering.... He talked of the opera Thijl with Pierre Audi; he wasn't interested.

Hendrik Andriessen: 4th symphony is recorded. Still 3 CD's to go with Röntgen symphonies (recorded in Helsingborg and Frankfurt Oder). Badings: symphonies 8 and 9 are planned to be recorded. He'd like to record the remaning Dopper symphonies and asked the North Netherlands SO to do them with him; they weren't interested.

The rest of the article he's fulminating on Dutch cultural policy and orchestra only playing Brahms, Beethoven and so on.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 06:54:55 pm »

And how about this one? Recorded in 2009:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/benjamin-godard-symphonie-gotique/hnum/8456432
And this one.....
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/robert-radecke-symphonie/hnum/8455669
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 02:16:34 pm »

Another addition to the (rather long) list of cpo recording projects....
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/aram-khachaturian-symphonie-nr-2/hnum/7136647  :-\
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 08:54:12 pm »

Some of us-eternally grateful to CPO though we are-often wish that the company would finish one project before starting another ;D Still waiting for more Johann Nepomuk David and Edvin Kallstenius ::)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: