The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:46:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Joseph Holbrooke from CPO

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joseph Holbrooke from CPO  (Read 11470 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2019, 10:44:03 pm »

Hooray, hooray, hooray! What a superbly attractive cover as well... Well done Gareth for continuing to encourage and participate in this seminal project!

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2019, 02:00:11 am »

Gareth,

Were you-hypothetically of course-to be asked to recommend the contents for another disc of Holbrooke's orchestral music what would you suggest?

I suppose that one significant issue would be that any work requiring a soloist or soloists or chorus increases the cost of production.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2019, 06:29:35 pm »

Yeeeeeeehooooooooo!! :o :) :) :) Fans of Holbrooke,the world over,rejoice! (All four of us?!! ::) ;D) Funny! I was just listening to The Birds of Rhiannon a little earlier,via the Lyrita cd (with Rootham Symphony 1 & Bantock) which arrived here this morning! I will be waiting till it becomes available in the Uk,however! I know I'm jumping the gun;but I only wish there was someone who could continue this Cpo series now Howard Griffiths has gone?! But this is wonderful news for us Holbrooke groupies! My only previous knowledge of Holbrooke's third is via an extremely brief (to put it mildly) excerpt on the,otherwise,fascinating,Symposium collection,of historic recordings of Holbrooke.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2019, 07:13:40 pm »

".....Howard Griffiths is gone" ? What do you mean?
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2019, 07:20:55 pm »

My apologies! Not in that way,thank goodness! But Gareth said he'd taken up a post,conducting another orchestra! (Sorry,I'm usually more careful than that!)
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2019, 07:49:07 pm »

My apologies! Not in that way,thank goodness! But Gareth said he'd taken up a post,conducting another orchestra! (Sorry,I'm usually more careful than that!)

....but that would not prevent him recording more Holbrooke surely?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2019, 07:50:31 pm »

This was supposed to be posted from me obviously ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2019, 11:52:32 pm »

This was supposed to be posted from me obviously ;D
Well,hopefully,not?! I meant,with Cpo. In an earlier post (June 13 2018) Gareth said that there was the "possibility" of a recording of some choral music "with a British orchestra and chorus" conducted by Howard Griffiths. Uncomfirmed,apparently! But,we must wait for Gareth Vaughan to post here,of course!
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2019, 11:01:16 am »

I have it on good authority that Howard Griffiths would not be averse to conducting some of Holbrooke's larger scale choral works with a British chorus if possible, but it will be up to CPO. There is more than one person encouraging CPO in this direction.

Were you-hypothetically of course-to be asked to recommend the contents for another disc of Holbrooke's orchestral music what would you suggest?
From my point of view I would like to see a coupling of "Queen Mab" and "The Bells", perhaps with the addition of the 2 orchestral songs, Op. 41a and 41b (Marino Faliero and Annabel Lee). However, if only another purely orchestral disk was on offer I would recommend the 2nd piano concerto "L'Orient", coupled with either The Dreamland Suite and the incidental music to Pontorewyn OR with the two ballets "The Red Masque" and "The Moth and the Flame". We shall just have to wait and see.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2019, 07:41:59 pm »

Thank you for your reply,Gareth! So,hopefully,more to look forward to! We'll just have to wait a bit!! :( ;D :) Meanwhile,this new Cpo cd,to add to my growing pile of Holbrooke cd's. I think the Symposium was the first cd. I seem to remember Michael Oliver (?) giving it a quite,positive review in Gramophone Magazine (& suggesting a reappraisal of Holbrooke,might be due?) which first whetted my appetite,for this once,intriguingly,quite famous composer. Then the Marco Polo cd of Ulalume,The Raven (etc) which enthused my imagination to such a degree,I actually wrote to Gwydion Brooke,who replied with a very nice letter and an Lp of Holbrooke chamber works! This was followed by another Marco Polo cd,and then,a dispiriting gap;I seem to remember? Since then,thanks to Dutton,Cpo,and a little help from Hyperion,EM & Naxos (and I suppose I should include Cameo?) the tally has been,thankfully,growing!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2019, 12:16:34 am »

I have it on good authority that Howard Griffiths would not be averse to conducting some of Holbrooke's larger scale choral works with a British chorus if possible, but it will be up to CPO. There is more than one person encouraging CPO in this direction.

From my point of view I would like to see a coupling of "Queen Mab" and "The Bells", perhaps with the addition of the 2 orchestral songs, Op. 41a and 41b (Marino Faliero and Annabel Lee). However, if only another purely orchestral disk was on offer I would recommend the 2nd piano concerto "L'Orient", coupled with either The Dreamland Suite and the incidental music to Pontorewyn OR with the two ballets "The Red Masque" and "The Moth and the Flame". We shall just have to wait and see.

Interesting choices, Gareth. You have the advantage of probably knowing how long each of these works is in performance. I would put in a word for the Fantasie "The Wild Fowl", the Double Concerto "Tamerlane" for Clarinet and Bassoon (which is less than twenty minutes long) and, of course, the Symphony No.2 "Apollo and the Seaman".
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2019, 01:34:39 am »

I would support those choices, Dundonnell, of course. "Apollo" is just under the hour, so one could fit "The Wild Fowl" on that CD as well. Although Apollo demands a large orchestra with greatly enhanced wind section, there is not a lot of percussion (IIRC) and the chorus is a male one, so not vastly expensive to put on.
With the Double Concerto, possible couplings might be The Dance Suite for piano & small orchestra Op. 93c and The Cambrian Suite, op. 101. Another CD I should like to see would be of pieces for string orchestra: "Les Hommages" (in its original version for string orchestra, titled "Bohemian Suite") with the Symphony No. 7 (which is an arrangement of the String Sextet "Henry Vaughan" in D major, Op. 43 for full string orchestra) and the little piece for strings arranged from the Cauldron Trilogy which Jo called "Caradoc's Deam".
Of course, we also need a recording of the 1st Symphony "Homage to E.A. Poe", but this involves chorus and soloists so would be rather costly to mount. It lasts about an hour.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2019, 02:18:43 pm »

I used to keep pestering them (Chandos) to record Holbrooke,on their old forum,and the one before that! If they weren't interested in something (the complete works of August Bungert! ;D) there would,usually,be no reply. In the case of Holbrooke;the response came,that they were interested in recording Holbrooke. And more than once! Unlike Gareth,I can't read music and have no access to manuscripts,so I suppose I was just being a bit of a pain really. But I,really,liked what I'd heard on those Marco Polo cds,and I just wanted to hear more!

I must say,I'd be curious to hear his Symphony No.5 in E flat, 'Wild Wales'. I understand it's for Brass Band;and I,particularly,like his use of the brass section of the orchestra. (I just love the sounds he makes,with these instruments!) Also,it's called "Wild Wales". Having been born & bred there (as they say) that arouses my curiosity. I'm not expecting anything particularly Welsh sounding;but,the titles of the movements are (according to Wikipedia) !) Rhayader 2) Bangor Fair 3) Llangefni. Which only serves to increase my curiosity. One of the things that draws me to Holbrooke (as person and composer) are his connections with Wales. Confusingly,the Wikipedia entry goes on to state that,the symphony is also titled,"Old Wales" ,and Symphony No 8..........which is listed (in 'symphonies';also Wikipedia);and I thought it was;as "Dance Symphony" op 112! Okay,now my head is spinning!!! ??? ;D But,is the score still extant,I wonder?

(Sorry,Dundonnell (Colin). (The right thread,now!) I was just thinking that! :-[ ::) ;D I really should know better,by now!!)
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2019, 02:45:45 pm »

Thanks ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2019, 03:46:54 pm »

Wild Wales (Symphony no. 5) is really more of a suite than a symphony, as is Symphony no. 6 for Military Band. The scores and parts exist for both, and Wild Wales is a lovely composition. Holbrooke always wrote beautifully for wind instruments (and I include brass in that category). Also, don't worry about getting confused with numberings. That is Jo's fault. He was always renumbering and re-organising his works, making it a nightmare for musicologists to find their way around his oeuvres.
Perhaps we should start pestering Chandos again!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: