The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:18:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Joseph Holbrooke from CPO

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joseph Holbrooke from CPO  (Read 11531 times)
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2015, 04:43:49 pm »

I have just been informed that CPO have planned a third CD of music by Joseph Holbrooke. It will contain: Symphony No. 3 "Ships"; Orchestral Variations on "The Girl I Left Behind Me" and the tone poem "The Birds of Rhiannon". The orchestra is the Deutsche Radiophilharmonie Saarbrücken/Kaiserlautern under Howard Griffiths and the recording sessions are scheduled for the end of January 2016. This will be a very important CD.
Unfortunately, there is still no definite news about the release date of CPO's second Holbrooke CD (recorded nearly 2 years ago), which contains the "Grasshopper" Violin Concerto, the Orchestral Variations on "Auld Lang Syne" and the tone poem "The Raven", except that it should be sometime next year (2016). Let us hope so. The orchestra was the Brandenburgishes Staatsorchester under Howard Griffiths and the soloist in the concerto was Judith Ingolfsson. I certainly hope it will not long be delayed.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 04:58:54 pm »

Splendid news that we shall finally get to hear the Symphony No.3 "Ships" (or is that "National Symphony" or "Nelson" or "Our Navy" ???)-a work which as, presumably, a mature Holbrooke symphony has always intrigued me.

Slightly disappointing couplings in that "The Girl I left behind me" is already on a Cameo Classics cd and "The Birds of Rhiannon" was recorded by Lyrita many years ago....but then what were the alternatives ??? So much of Holbrooke's music is lost or was recast into other compositions or involve soloists or chorus.

As for the second Holbrooke cd from cpo..........well, we all know how unpredictable the company's release policy is and how promised releases can slip back in time.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 05:06:16 pm »

I agree that we already have at least 2 decent recordings of The Birds of Rhiannon (I would have preferred the Wild Fowl Phantaisie from "Dylan"), but the performance by the Russian orchestra of "The Girl I Left Behind Me" Variations on Cameo Classics was rather disappointing. Neither orchestra nor conductor understood it and a lot of telling detail (which included some musical jokes) got lost - so I do look forward to a new recording of this work. And Howard Griffiths has the measure of Holbrooke's music, so he is a first rate advocate.

I think if a few people wrote Burkhard Schmilgun at CPO to enquire about the second Holbrooke CD, it would do no harm. Herr Schmilgun seems very approachable.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 05:18:00 pm »

Sorry..I had forgotten the Marco Polo disc which contains "The Birds of Rhiannon", the Overture to the Opera "The Children of Don" and the Prelude to the Opera "Dylan".

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.223721
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 05:20:42 pm »

I shall post further about Holbrooke later this evening ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 05:22:23 pm »

Woo-hoo - I didn't think "The Ships" would ever be recorded. Shame they have chosen "The Birds of Rhiannon" to go with it - I have heard that so many times I'm a bit tired of it. All the same -essential purchase.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 10:22:03 pm »

I have just been informed that CPO's second disk of orchestral music by Holbrooke is scheduled for release in September. This is the one containing the Auld Lang Syne Variations, the "Grasshopper" Violin Concerto and "The Raven".
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:51:43 pm »

Good news :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 04:22:19 pm »

I have just been informed that CPO have planned a third CD of music by Joseph Holbrooke. It will contain: Symphony No. 3 "Ships"; Orchestral Variations on "The Girl I Left Behind Me" and the tone poem "The Birds of Rhiannon". The orchestra is the Deutsche Radiophilharmonie Saarbrücken/Kaiserlautern under Howard Griffiths and the recording sessions are scheduled for the end of January 2016. This will be a very important CD.
Unfortunately, there is still no definite news about the release date of CPO's second Holbrooke CD (recorded nearly 2 years ago), which contains the "Grasshopper" Violin Concerto, the Orchestral Variations on "Auld Lang Syne" and the tone poem "The Raven", except that it should be sometime next year (2016). Let us hope so. The orchestra was the Brandenburgishes Staatsorchester under Howard Griffiths and the soloist in the concerto was Judith Ingolfsson. I certainly hope it will not long be delayed.
"Ships" is going to.......has been recorded?!! How did I miss this post?!! ??? I must have been in a long sleep and just woken up! My understanding was that Howard Griffiths had decided he didn't want to record it. One intriguing reason,I read somewhere (as a regular contributor to the HB thread at the GMG) being that it sounded like Havergal Brian!!! (One good reason to record it!! ;D) Well,I hope it's true that it's going to be recorded now. The sound quality should certainly be a step up from the excerpt on the fascinating Symposium compilation! And we'll get to hear a bit more!!! I will be looking forward to these cds because I actually do like quite allot of his music. Yes,some of it is uneven in terms of inspiration;but at best I do rather like his rather gothic (in the Edgar Allan Poe,Mysteries of Udolpho sense) later romantic muse. I really do. Rutland Boughton is another one. I really enjoyed The Queen of Cornwall the last time I listened to it;although it took a little perseverance. I actually like it better than the Immortal Hour now;and Bethlehem is a lovely work imho. Anyway,I digress...........
Good news! :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 04:24:21 pm »

Now I remember how I missed that post. My pc konked out!! :( :( This is a new one!! :o ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 04:55:04 pm »

Well, fear not, Cilgwyn. "Ships" has been recorded, and Howard Griffiths has promised to send me a copy of his first edit. When that will be I know not. But I shall report in due course.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 05:10:35 pm »

Well, fear not, Cilgwyn. "Ships" has been recorded, and Howard Griffiths has promised to send me a copy of his first edit. When that will be I know not. But I shall report in due course.
I have just been informed that CPO's second disk of orchestral music by Holbrooke is scheduled for release in September. This is the one containing the Auld Lang Syne Variations, the "Grasshopper" Violin Concerto and "The Raven".

All FANTASTIC NEWS, Gareth! Thank you so much for keeping us Holbrookians in the loop. Are CPO still interested in a disc of Queen Mab/ The Bells/ Byron? That would be an ear-opener ...

;) ;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 05:14:11 pm »

Thank you for your reply,Gareth! :) It will also mean (jumping ahead a little) that Joseph Holbrooke fans will able to hear Symphonies 3 & 4 (via the Dutton cd) one after the other. Marvellous!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 05:16:31 pm »

One can only hope that CPO do not keep us waiting too long for the third Holbrooke cd ;D

Some of us age a good deal between instalments of the series CPO issues ::)
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 07:33:54 pm »

Are CPO still interested in a disc of Queen Mab/ The Bells/ Byron? That would be an ear-opener ...

I am keeping the pressure up.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: